Taking dogs to NZ

Old Jun 10th 2005, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

davepoole has a spectacular aura aboutdavepoole has a spectacular aura aboutdavepoole has a spectacular aura about
Default Taking dogs to NZ

Hi

my parents are thinking about following me in three years to retire in Nz if they can. but they wanted to know if they could bring their two small dogs.

they are really reluctant to put them into quarentine. is there anyway round it, ie blood tests or vaccines.

any help or advice would be well kewl,

oh and my EOI was accepted today, i submitted it on monday whoo hoo

rock on NZ

thanks

dave
Old Jun 10th 2005, 10:00 pm
Account Closed

Sega Mad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Taking dogs to NZ

Originally Posted by davepoole
Hi

my parents are thinking about following me in three years to retire in Nz if they can. but they wanted to know if they could bring their two small dogs.

they are really reluctant to put them into quarentine. is there anyway round it, ie blood tests or vaccines.

rock on NZ

thanks

dave
Try looking on the Really useful thread or type 'pets' into a thread search and you should find lots of info. I don't believe quarantine is required for dogs & cats to NZ. The cost is around about £1300 for a cat or small dog. Quarantine was always mostly concerned about Rabies which has a 6month incubation period, hence the quarantine. The UK, however, is rabies free and so quarantine is not deemed to be necessary.

Regards
Old Jun 10th 2005, 10:49 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

rock on NZ

thanks

dave
No idea about dogs Dave (and don't need to now know coz our lovely dog died a few weeks ago )

but congratulations on getting your EOI accepted....welcome to the club
Old Jun 10th 2005, 10:55 pm
Life begins...

80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats from me too Dave!! Yeah, the dogs'll be about a grand each plus all the shots. Personally I'd leave them all behind, Pinkie knows my feelings on the matter

Phyl
Old Jun 10th 2005, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all

Hi

rock on NZ

thanks

dave
You can bring them. They do have to go into quarentine - but quarentine here is at your own home. You can't take them to public places for a set period. We had friends whose dogs came on the same plane as them! We were bringing our dog but she sadly passed away before we came - she was 11 years old though. Sorry about my spelling Good luck and congrats too!
Old Jun 10th 2005, 11:02 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 80s Chick
Congrats from me too Dave!! Yeah, the dogs'll be about a grand each plus all the shots. Personally I'd leave them all behind, Pinkie knows my feelings on the matter

Phyl
But Phyl, your children will disown you if you ditch the cats!!!

At least our dog, bless him, had the good grace to cark it of his own accord (thereby saving us a fortune in shipping costs) and as I've said before the miserable old sod would have got to arrivals and dropped dead on the spot anyway just to spite us!!!
Old Jun 11th 2005, 4:38 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

rock on NZ

thanks

dave
Apart from the high cost to bring them out to NZ as long as they are up to date with all the required shots your parents will be fine to bring them. Quarantine regulations in NZ only require that the dogs be quarantined at your property for a certain time. Not long at all, something like 6 weeks if my memory serves me right. That means during that time they can not leave your property. After that time you are fine to take them anywhere. I know of several families who have brought their dogs with them & had no trouble at all. Of course also know of older dogs who although they survived the trip they died within month of arriving. Not sure what the cause was but simply think the flight might have just taken too much out of them & the strain was too much for them.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 8:53 am

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sunshine_and_rain
You can bring them. They do have to go into quarentine - but quarentine here is at your own home. You can't take them to public places for a set period. We had friends whose dogs came on the same plane as them! We were bringing our dog but she sadly passed away before we came - she was 11 years old though. Sorry about my spelling Good luck and congrats too!

Rather embarased here looks like we broke the law, but we never kept our dog at home for 6 hours, never mind 6 weeks. The minute he arrived we got his licence from the Council and off we went. We did though keep him on the leash. We even took him to the vets to be registered 2 days after he arrived and no comment was made when they asked when he had arrived from the UK.

Probably done wrong but nothing happened and noone said anything. To also add MAF never advised us of any quarantine and friends of ours who also brought over their dog never had any worries either. Excuse the grammer lol

Last edited by scottish; Jun 11th 2005 at 8:59 am.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

davepoole has a spectacular aura aboutdavepoole has a spectacular aura aboutdavepoole has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
But Phyl, your children will disown you if you ditch the cats!!!

At least our dog, bless him, had the good grace to cark it of his own accord (thereby saving us a fortune in shipping costs) and as I've said before the miserable old sod would have got to arrivals and dropped dead on the spot anyway just to spite us!!!

Hey sorry to hear about your dog dying, but at least it was from old age eh,

thanks for the info everyone will look on the really useful site, and it sounds kewl about home quarentine, that should make my parents feel better about it.

Old Jun 11th 2005, 10:38 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

We've been told 'house (& garden) arrest' for Brewster for 30 days.
Old Jun 12th 2005, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

Totally new to me about putting the dog under house arrest on arrival. Mine was in the River on the way from Welly to Hawkes bay and swimming in the sea the next day. Cost about two grand for the Labrador and used a company called Golden Arrow who were great.
Roger
Old Jun 12th 2005, 8:46 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

It cost us two grand all in to bring my Springer over - we were told 30 days quarantine but we didn't have to keep her on our own property ( so what is the point?!). You have to special blood tests and poo tests for parasites.

Bracken swam in the Waikato within a few hours of arrival (she was a bit stinky after a day in a crate with the squits) and was in the sea the next day. Although very scared and dehydrated on arrival she recovered really quickly and was back to her normal bouncy self within a day (she was just a year old though).

Just a note - you have to have residency to bring a dog in - no one told us and we came out initially on a work visa so I fibbed like mad to customs otherwise they would have sent her back! She is now legal, I hasten to add, as we got residency in January!
Old Jun 12th 2005, 12:58 pm

Sorry Pollister should of managed that too. If you have a work visa thats ok too... we came out on 2 yr work visas. The staff at MAF were excellant very friendly and helpful. Remember also to try and keep about $100 cash spare for the additional charges.

Dont dwell on the home quarantine mate all of us who have came over with pets never stuck to it and had no probs.
Old Jun 12th 2005, 2:58 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollster

Just a note - you have to have residency to bring a dog in - no one told us and we came out initially on a work visa so I fibbed like mad to customs otherwise they would have sent her back! She is now legal, I hasten to add, as we got residency in January!
Didnt know that was a requirement because I know a lot of people who have brought dogs over from the UK without having residency first. Maybe it just depends on the customs officer you are dealing with at the time. You know if you caught one having a bad day etc
Do know that they set these guidelines re quarantine but dont really know anyone who has been checked once theyve left the airport though
Old Jun 13th 2005, 7:55 am

Shepslady, you must take along your visa paperwork in order to collect the dog. No paperwork, no dog!! You dont have to have residency but must have at least a 12 month work visa.

When we arrived in NZ MAF never contacted us once.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.