Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Taking Dog To Nz - Advice Needed

Taking Dog To Nz - Advice Needed

Old Jun 28th 2005, 12:44 pm

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold
Default Taking Dog To Nz - Advice Needed

Morning All,

We've realised that it's going to be harder than we thought to say goodbye to the dog, soppy gits that we are. But he was a rescue dog and not the most independent of mutts so we're concerned about the actual flight for him.

Can anyone give me advice on prices, who to use, whether the dog suffered any trauma or showed signs of regressive behaviour after the journey?

I'd appreciate hearing everyone's experiences, good or bad, to help us make our minds up.

Thanks!
Old Jun 28th 2005, 1:26 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking Dog To Nz - Advice Needed

Originally Posted by bookemjano
Morning All,

We've realised that it's going to be harder than we thought to say goodbye to the dog, soppy gits that we are. But he was a rescue dog and not the most independent of mutts so we're concerned about the actual flight for him.

Can anyone give me advice on prices, who to use, whether the dog suffered any trauma or showed signs of regressive behaviour after the journey?

I'd appreciate hearing everyone's experiences, good or bad, to help us make our minds up.

Thanks!
Scottish is your girl for this one!! She's great on pet queries...I'm sure she'll help you when she's next online...or send her a pm....our dog had the good grace to drop dead a short while ago thereby saving us the trauma of whether to ship or leave him here.... (I was all for leaving him here - horrid girl that I am.... )
Old Jun 28th 2005, 1:43 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
Scottish is your girl for this one!! She's great on pet queries...I'm sure she'll help you when she's next online...or send her a pm....our dog had the good grace to drop dead a short while ago thereby saving us the trauma of whether to ship or leave him here.... (I was all for leaving him here - horrid girl that I am.... )
We're using Ladyhaye in a couple of months - seem very good but I'll be able to tell you more when Brewster arrives - fingers crossed!
Old Jun 28th 2005, 1:59 pm

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Biddy
We're using Ladyhaye in a couple of months - seem very good but I'll be able to tell you more when Brewster arrives - fingers crossed!

Thanks Biddy - have they give you a price yet - we've been told around £2,600. Going to cost less to get us four there!
Old Jun 28th 2005, 4:00 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Biddy - have they give you a price yet - we've been told around £2,600. Going to cost less to get us four there!
Extortionate I know!

Ours is over 2k but can't remember the 100's! Think I've blotted it from my mind :scared:
Old Jun 28th 2005, 4:49 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, Scottish here

We used Airpets over a year ago and the price for our boy (retriever/collie cross) was £1600 plus about £300 vets fees (thankfully the SPCA had him chipped) and inc the cost of his crate. On arrival to NZ we paid out $100 in misc fees to MAF and NZ Cargo. That was a price out of London. To keep the costs down my mum took him to Heathrow for us.

AS much as Airpets were very efficient my mum wasnt overally impressed with the kennel facilites at Heathrow. The kennels had no bedding and they dont have time to walk the dogs prior to the flight. Go with Golden Arrow the guy is very hands on and has an excellent reputation. Sorry they dont have a website but if you search under that name Im sure their phone number will crop up.

Our boy flew with Air NZ via LA and arrived none the worse for wear, didnt even need the loo and no mess in his cage. Only prob was the jet lag and hunger!!!!!!!!!....

Bit of advice you are allowed to bit a familier blanket etc in with them, just as long as its not too thick.

Dont fret about them honestly my boy is a rescue dog too and is ruined and he wasnt phased at all by the whole process...........

Good luck
xx
Old Jun 28th 2005, 8:42 pm
Account Closed

Sega Mad is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it just me or does anyone else do a double take when looking at the title of this thread? I keep seeing it as

'Talking Dog To Nz - Advice Needed'

You would need advice if you had a talking dog wouldn't you!!!!

Regards
Old Jun 28th 2005, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Sega Mad
Is it just me or does anyone else do a double take when looking at the title of this thread? I keep seeing it as

'Talking Dog To Nz - Advice Needed'

You would need advice if you had a talking dog wouldn't you!!!!

Regards
Be great if he could talk - could get him through on the Talented Migrant process! Problem solved.
Old Jun 28th 2005, 9:01 pm
Account Closed

Sega Mad is an unknown quantity at this point

Be great if he could talk - could get him through on the Talented Migrant process! Problem solved.
Old Jun 30th 2005, 4:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

Very happy with Golden Arrow. About two grand for the Lab and they really help you with the tests. We had to change flights and there was no hassle or extra charge.

Taking the mutt back now!! About $4300 and vet fees. Believe it or not more difficult getting into UK than NZ.
Roger
Old Jun 30th 2005, 7:35 am

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Roger
Very happy with Golden Arrow. About two grand for the Lab and they really help you with the tests. We had to change flights and there was no hassle or extra charge.

Taking the mutt back now!! About $4300 and vet fees. Believe it or not more difficult getting into UK than NZ.
Roger
Totally agree Rodger. One last piece of advice that I would give is if you can afford it get the Pet Passport done here. One being its cheaper in the Uk and also when we were due to leave NZ our vet advised that the whole of NZ had no vacine left for Rabies and as such people were having to wait for over a month for more serum to arrive from OZ. I know you may not want to think about coming back to the Uk but best to be prepared as they say.