Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Taking a couple of bicycles and clothes...best way to transport to nz from UK?

Taking a couple of bicycles and clothes...best way to transport to nz from UK?

Old Apr 2nd 2017, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

CatLady1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking a couple of bicycles and clothes...best way to transport to nz from UK?

Hi there
I'm coming out to nz to work for a while.
Im coming fairly lightly just with two bicycles and probably one suitcase of clothes.
What's the best way for me to transport my stuff over? Do you get extra baggage allowance for suitcase if coming to live?
Would I have to use a special company to take my bikes across or can I take these with me on actual flight?
Hope someone can help.
Many thanks x
Old Apr 2nd 2017, 9:55 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking a couple of bicycles and clothes...best way to transport to nz from UK?

I've seen cyclists appearing out of the normal airport passenger customs exit so I would assume they get taken as excess/large baggage items without too much trouble.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

nikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking a couple of bicycles and clothes...best way to transport to nz from UK?

If you fly with your bike we recommend actually buying a bike bag and not using a bike box. If you ship them a bike box is sufficient
Old Apr 8th 2017, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

CatLady1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your replies. A bike bag? These are easy to get? Don't worry if you don't know but is it allowed for 1 person to take 2 bikes with them when flying or is the limit 1?
Old Apr 8th 2017, 5:54 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

I would imagine you just pay the excess case/baggage rate for each one and you can take as many as your wallet allows...
Old Apr 8th 2017, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

I've not flown to NZ with a bike before, but have several times to Central & South America from the UK. It can be troublesome, typically I've been within the normal kg allowance & there's a $50 charge. I've taken them with just pedals removed and handle bars turned, and also in a cardboard box (get one from your local bike shop), and certainly the latter's less trouble. Never traveled with two, I'd guess there would be excess kg charges, or you'd need to travel very light.

Whatever do check the airline's policy in advance & print it out, as often the check in haven't a clue. Also don't travel via the States either, way too much hassle at the best of times.
Old Apr 8th 2017, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

nikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond repute

You would need to buy the bike bag. Any bike stores near you or chain reaction cycles will have them, they are a bit of an investment but more than worth it as much betterfor the bike. We recommend the evoc one
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/nz/en/s?q=bike+bag
Old Apr 8th 2017, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

and if at all possible pre-book the excess baggage as you'll get it at a cheaper rate than the airport check in desk.