British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Taking car to NZ from UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/taking-car-nz-uk-934921/)

Jojorobs Sep 20th 2020 2:44 pm

Taking car to NZ from UK

Anyone sea freighted their UK car to NZ? We have a newish car 2018 and would like to ship it to NZ. Found a couple of companies here in the uk which will ship it but just wondering if anyone else has done this and how hard it was once in Nz to get it registered etc. Thanks

jarv5116 Sep 20th 2020 5:51 pm

Re: Taking car to NZ from UK

what make and model of car is it?

Jojorobs Sep 20th 2020 6:57 pm

Kia Niro hybrid

jarv5116 Sep 21st 2020 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Jojorobs (Post 12912368)
Kia Niro hybrid

You need to make sure you can buy the model of car in NZ or you will have problems registering the vehicle.

Justcol Sep 21st 2020 8:37 am

Uk and NZ seem to be similar value, so doesn't seem to be much point.
warranty may be an issue
Any sat nav will need updating
Speedo in miles and not kmh which is a pain.
all the above may be an additional cost to rectify.
There will be costs to get it vined in nz, any rust, even surface rust on the chassis will be very closely looked at.
Personally I would prefer an nz new car for peace of mind.

Jojorobs Sep 21st 2020 7:58 pm

Thanks for the above. Just wondering if anyone had done it. The car already has km/h and has been check for rust. It £800 to freight over and the exchange rate isn’t great at the moment. Have looked at cars for sale in Nz and ours would be quite a bit more than what we paid here. Have looked into the process and looks to be okay but just wanted to see if anyone had done it.

christmasoompa Sep 21st 2020 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Jojorobs (Post 12912786)
Thanks for the above. Just wondering if anyone had done it. The car already has km/h and has been check for rust. It £800 to freight over and the exchange rate isn’t great at the moment. Have looked at cars for sale in Nz and ours would be quite a bit more than what we paid here. Have looked into the process and looks to be okay but just wanted to see if anyone had done it.

Quite a few threads on the forum that would be worth searching for, will give you info on other costs too. Here’s one to get you started - https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-...ompany-901132/

HTH, good luck.

Justcol Sep 22nd 2020 8:51 pm

Brought a motorcycle over which is exactly the same process
What is it specifically you want to know ?

Jojorobs Sep 23rd 2020 1:14 pm

We haven’t managed to sell our car here in the uk. I have been looking into the process and have found a company that will ship the car for around £1200. Once it arrives in NZ (Napier) do we drive it somewhere for it to be checked (Customs and quarantine clearance) and to pay the port charges (looks to costs about $1200)? Then we have a entry inspection and WoF check by a registered entry certifier (not sure how much this would cost)? Then we register the vehicle which costs about $600 for 12 months. Looks to cost somewhere around $4200 but that’s without the entry inspection and WoF cost? The AA have told me they have full package service for $5,200 (shipped and licensed and we just turn up and get the car already to go). Does this sound like a good idea?
Are we allowed to drive the vehicle to the entry inspection place or do you have to pay for it to be towed there?
thanks for the link it makes it sound so easy. I am not sure if I am making it more complicated than it needs to be.

Justcol Sep 23rd 2020 11:20 pm

The car will need to be transported (can't be towed) to any destinations until it has passed all compliance and registration processes.
The AA are your best bet

Possummassala Dec 12th 2020 5:54 am

I brought a car from UK to NZ in March 2020 - for much the same reasons as you (couldn’t sell it in the UK, was worth far more here, was pretty cheap to ship).

Process was extremely easy, costs on NZ side in the region of $1000.

I can share more of the experience if you’re still thinking of doing it.

One thing to consider though: whilst the price of used cars here is high compared to the UK, the opposite is true of most new cars. This is a great place to buy new if you can afford to.

ShaneMcDonald Mar 3rd 2021 7:24 pm

Importing of cars is changing in NZ, so take history with pinch of salt

Be very weary at the moment on parts for service. I just spent over $5k for parts and service

So off to use the bus

Jojorobs Mar 10th 2021 2:08 pm

So it cost about $2k Nz in the end to get the car in Nz plus the £1600 shipping and insurance. It did take 2 months longer though due to freight issues so if you need a vehicle right away would suggest you buy Nz if you can. We wouldn’t have been able to buy the same car in Nz for what we would have got for it in uk so fine for us.