Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Taken house off the market!

Taken house off the market!

Old Jun 30th 2009, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

jads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to all
Default Taken house off the market!

Hello everyone

Its been ages since I've been on here, was waiting and waiting to bring some good news about selling our house but no joy. Its been on about 14 months and its been a real struggle getting people through the door let alone getting any offers. Our PR expires in JULY, so we have decided to take the house off the market, it has just been really bad timing for us and prob so many like us. We have been lucky in lots of ways though in this 'slow recession' , both still have jobs (touch wood) and still have a house to call our own. Also our 2 boys ages 12 and 17 are both doing well at school, and the timing again didn't turn out great to take them out of their schools.

We had a great time exploring NZ and did lots of new things and saw loads of great sights on our travels. Its been a massive journey of emotions for all of us, the pressure has been massive at times, you will need a strong relationship with your 'other half' and be prepared for a rollercoaster unlike any other, there will be so many heated discussions about the potential pitfalls of your new life. At times I felt like I was a 'salesman' trying to tell everyone about all the great things about NZ and glossing over the 'not so good'!!

I haven't given up on NZ totally though, let the 'dust settle' and see what happens in the future. I wouldn't go down the whole PR route again, in hindsight it has so many things against it. Most people want to go to NZ 'now', not a few years down the line when you finally get that 'blue sticker'.

So, a few questions for the future!
How long can you stay in NZ on a tourist visa?
If you find a job whilst on that tourist visa, can you then apply for a work permit and how long is this?
Can you then apply for PR?

Cheers
Jads
Old Jun 30th 2009, 5:02 pm
Banned

danjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nice
Default Re: Taken house off the market!

Its been on about 14 months and its been a real struggle getting people through the door let alone getting any offers
Do you not think your house would have sold if it had been priced realistically? then you could have followed your dream.

There are plenty of potential buyers in the UK housing market but many will not pay the current inflated prices.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

anniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud of

Hi Jads,

So sorry regarding your house sale. Have you not considered renting it out ? We've also had ours up for sale for 18 months with no luck whatsoever so we are now renting it out when we leave.

I really hope things work out for you, and that you do eventualy get out to NZ (it would be such a shame to give up on that dream after the rollercoaster ride it is to get your PR !)

All the best for you all

Dan....I don't think it's anything to do with the price of houses at the mo, speaking for myself mine is now priced ridiculously low and still no one through the door.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 8:34 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that Jads. It seems such a shame to have struggled for so long and still not get here. Is there no way you could at least get a short holiday to NZ to activate your PR so you don't lose it?
Old Jun 30th 2009, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jads
Hello everyone

Its been ages since I've been on here, was waiting and waiting to bring some good news about selling our house but no joy. Its been on about 14 months and its been a real struggle getting people through the door let alone getting any offers. Our PR expires in JULY, so we have decided to take the house off the market, it has just been really bad timing for us and prob so many like us. We have been lucky in lots of ways though in this 'slow recession' , both still have jobs (touch wood) and still have a house to call our own. Also our 2 boys ages 12 and 17 are both doing well at school, and the timing again didn't turn out great to take them out of their schools.

We had a great time exploring NZ and did lots of new things and saw loads of great sights on our travels. Its been a massive journey of emotions for all of us, the pressure has been massive at times, you will need a strong relationship with your 'other half' and be prepared for a rollercoaster unlike any other, there will be so many heated discussions about the potential pitfalls of your new life. At times I felt like I was a 'salesman' trying to tell everyone about all the great things about NZ and glossing over the 'not so good'!!

I haven't given up on NZ totally though, let the 'dust settle' and see what happens in the future. I wouldn't go down the whole PR route again, in hindsight it has so many things against it. Most people want to go to NZ 'now', not a few years down the line when you finally get that 'blue sticker'.

So, a few questions for the future!
How long can you stay in NZ on a tourist visa?
If you find a job whilst on that tourist visa, can you then apply for a work permit and how long is this?
Can you then apply for PR?

Cheers
Jads
Hi Jads,

The tourist visa is for 6 months.

We came via this route and my OH got offered a job. We applied for workpermits/studypermits and all was fine.

The workpermit can be for a couple of years or attatched to your job. As soon as my husband had his job we submitted our EOI and had residency within 6 months.

Good Luck to you all

Carole
Old Jun 30th 2009, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

strawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, we have had our house up for sale about 14months and only 2 viewers-the 2nd being last weekend!! Can you not take a hol to activate your visa, like mentioned?? We may have to do that as we have pr too-does anyone know if you go for hol how long you have to return to NZ again??

Dan-I recall you making the comments on a previous thread regarding house prices-seems you dont have a clue!!???
Old Jun 30th 2009, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

jads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
Sorry to hear that Jads. It seems such a shame to have struggled for so long and still not get here. Is there no way you could at least get a short holiday to NZ to activate your PR so you don't lose it?
Hello

Our PR has been activated when we came out for the recci, this gave us a RRV which expires in July. Time just moves so fast
Old Jun 30th 2009, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=
Dan-I recall you making the comments on a previous thread regarding house prices-seems you dont have a clue!!???[/QUOTE]

A clue about what
Old Jun 30th 2009, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by danjones1
Do you not think your house would have sold if it had been priced realistically? then you could have followed your dream.

There are plenty of potential buyers in the UK housing market but many will not pay the current inflated prices.
Our house was very realistically priced, but you can't make people put offers in!!
Old Jun 30th 2009, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

strawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of light

A clue about what
A clue about how difficult it is to sell a house at the moment, no matter how realistically priced it is. Dan gave the impression everyone was being 'greedy'.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
Hi Jads,

The tourist visa is for 6 months.

We came via this route and my OH got offered a job. We applied for workpermits/studypermits and all was fine.

The workpermit can be for a couple of years or attatched to your job. As soon as my husband had his job we submitted our EOI and had residency within 6 months.

Good Luck to you all

Carole
Thanks for your comments Carole

I didn't realise the tourist visa was for 6 months, if you are offered a job within this period, can you stay in NZ whilst applying for PR etc. What happens at the 6 month if you are applying.

Cheers Jads
Old Jun 30th 2009, 10:50 pm
Banned

danjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nice

There is no shortage of buyers out there, period.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your comments Carole

I didn't realise the tourist visa was for 6 months, if you are offered a job within this period, can you stay in NZ whilst applying for PR etc. What happens at the 6 month if you are applying.

Cheers Jads
Hi Jads,

We came out as visitors Nov 15th 06, husband got offered a job within a week.
Had medicals and submitted work visa forms week before christmas.

Work permits granted 18th Jan

Submitted ita Feb 07

Residency by September 07

Hope that helps

Carole
Old Jul 1st 2009, 2:18 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danjones1
There is no shortage of buyers out there, period.
Well, your delivery stinks but I can't argue with your basic point.

Anecdotally I have seen this myself in the past couple of months, but more importantly, it is basic market theory - if you drop the price, at some point the perceived value and the ability to fund the acquisition become more attractive to the buyer.

Most people can't let go of what their house was "worth" in the past and it will take them some time to get over the bereavement of their "loss".

It's a shame that this inability to move-on regarding the old value of their house prevents some from following their dreams. Of course some might be underwater on their mortgage is they only bought their house fairly recently.

OP - have you considered renting your house out and renting a place in NZ for the first year or two?
Old Jul 1st 2009, 3:12 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Cheers Jads
Hi Jads.
Sorry to read about your house.

If you manage to find a job offer whilst in NZ as a visitor, then you can apply for a temporary work permit. A work permit can be up to 3 years and they are renewable. If the work permit application is for 12 months or more, then medicals and xrays are required.

Following that you could go on to apply for PR.

If you don't want to apply for the temporary work permit to allow you to stay and work in NZ, but go straight for a PR application, then you may be able to extend your visitor visa by 3 months - and sometimes more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.