Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

to take out furniture or buy everything out there?!!

to take out furniture or buy everything out there?!!

Old Feb 22nd 2009, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

IKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really nice
Default to take out furniture or buy everything out there?!!

Hi everyone!1

Just asking a really silly question!

As still new to these forums, want people's opinions please. Is it better to buy out there in NZ regarding my furniture and put it in storage or not? Am debating this as will be renting for a while and probably would be in furnished accommodation. I know this sounds daft but am looking at every single aspect of this proposed relocation.

Thanks,

Isabelle
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: to take out furniture or buy everything out there?!!

We have shipped everything, and I mean everything, it should be arriving within the next couple of days.

We worked out if we sold all our furniture cheaply and then bought new over there, we would be out of pocket. Also we wanted to take photos and personal items which would have to been shipped.

We happen to like our furniture and the kids love their beds and toys etc, so for us it wasn't an option of not Shipping.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 4:33 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I would get some quotes on shipping. My furniture is mostly rubbish and really not worth the effort, but maybe yours is better quality stuff.

If you can put it in storage cheaply, then at least you haven't burnt your bridges should you want to come back.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

IKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really nice

Originally Posted by jmh
I would get some quotes on shipping. My furniture is mostly rubbish and really not worth the effort, but maybe yours is better quality stuff.

If you can put it in storage cheaply, then at least you haven't burnt your bridges should you want to come back.
Thanks for the reply. Yes like you I do like my furniture but was just toying with options before making firm decisions. I guess everyone does that with this process.

good luck with your move, where abouts are you moving too?
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jmh

Yes will do, thanks for the reply. It does give me the backup incase of all eventualities!

Thanks,

Isabelle
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 6:36 pm
Chocoholic

Yummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by IKlapwijk
Hi everyone!1

As still new to these forums, want people's opinions please. Is it better to buy out there in NZ regarding my furniture and put it in storage or not? Am debating this as will be renting for a while and probably would be in furnished accommodation. I know this sounds daft but am looking at every single aspect of this proposed relocation.

Thanks,

Isabelle
Hey Isabelle,

We are going to take as mucha s possible. We went to an expo today and one of the success tips was to take things that you are familiar with. And i would agree with that.

We will obviously leave stuff thats worn or not worth taking but everything else will defo come with us. Just think how exciting it will be when your stuff arrives in NZ?

I have spoken to a few shipping companies as i dont think we will fill a 20ft container and they said that they will only chrage me for the amount that i take and not charge for the whole container... so i would look into this, especially if u only want to take a few essential things.

Hope that helps.

Caz x
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Yummy_Mummy
Hey Isabelle,

We are going to take as mucha s possible. We went to an expo today and one of the success tips was to take things that you are familiar with. And i would agree with that.

We will obviously leave stuff thats worn or not worth taking but everything else will defo come with us. Just think how exciting it will be when your stuff arrives in NZ?

I have spoken to a few shipping companies as i dont think we will fill a 20ft container and they said that they will only chrage me for the amount that i take and not charge for the whole container... so i would look into this, especially if u only want to take a few essential things.

Hope that helps.

Caz x
Thanks for that!

Interestly what were the names of the agents you saw at the expos?

I see you are waiting for the economy to pick up - sadly I wished I had started all this in 2007. I waited for the right time with the children's schooling. I think a bad choice now as i want a good price for the house!! Here's to 2010 I think!!

Cheers, Isabelle
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 7:38 pm
Chocoholic

Yummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to all

Thanks for that!

Interestly what were the names of the agents you saw at the expos?

I see you are waiting for the economy to pick up - sadly I wished I had started all this in 2007. I waited for the right time with the children's schooling. I think a bad choice now as i want a good price for the house!! Here's to 2010 I think!!

Cheers, Isabelle
We spoke to Anglo Pacific and Bonner. They both said that they would combine shipping, although it would take an extra 3 weeks for us to get our stuff. Which is fine, cos it will take us about 12 weeks to get sorted and find a decent rental.

Yeah well like u say... nothing seems to be moving and house prices are falling

We are also now looking at Autumn 2010. We are gonna keep saving this year, take a trip out october time and then maybe start things moving in january/february 2010. Hopefully by then things will have picked up in the property markets.

Good luck and hope things go well for u .... you never know there are still a few house sales going through!!! Fingers crossed

Caz xx
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Yummy_Mummy
We spoke to Anglo Pacific and Bonner. They both said that they would combine shipping, although it would take an extra 3 weeks for us to get our stuff. Which is fine, cos it will take us about 12 weeks to get sorted and find a decent rental.

Yeah well like u say... nothing seems to be moving and house prices are falling

We are also now looking at Autumn 2010. We are gonna keep saving this year, take a trip out october time and then maybe start things moving in january/february 2010. Hopefully by then things will have picked up in the property markets.

Good luck and hope things go well for u .... you never know there are still a few house sales going through!!! Fingers crossed

Caz xx
Thanks

Like you am saving hard and working extra hours. Thats the plus side of the olde nhs - always extra work available!!

good luck and take care, will keep things posted on forum if anything magical happens with move! (lottery, brillant house sale, etc.etc)

Isabelle
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 8:35 pm
sean n

sean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant future

Hi everyone!1

Thanks,

Isabelle
Hi,

We bought everything over with us.We had a 20 foot container and when it arrived 6 weeks after us it was like xmas!!!!! IMHO,It was the best thing we did!!!!!

It so helped the kids and us settle better as not everything was new.It is nice to have familiar stuff around you after such a major upheaval anyway.

Furniture can be abit pricey out here especially if your on a budget, which we were,we wished we'd done a huge ikea shop before we came out though!!!

You could always get a furnished place for the first couple of months until your furniture arrives,which also gives you time to suss out areas you do and dont want to live and then get a longer term let unfurnished.Trademe is good for sussing out property etc......oh and 2nd hand furniture too.

Hope this helps and all goes well

Vikki
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sean n
Hi,

We bought everything over with us.We had a 20 foot container and when it arrived 6 weeks after us it was like xmas!!!!! IMHO,It was the best thing we did!!!!!

It so helped the kids and us settle better as not everything was new.It is nice to have familiar stuff around you after such a major upheaval anyway.

Furniture can be abit pricey out here especially if your on a budget, which we were,we wished we'd done a huge ikea shop before we came out though!!!

You could always get a furnished place for the first couple of months until your furniture arrives,which also gives you time to suss out areas you do and dont want to live and then get a longer term let unfurnished.Trademe is good for sussing out property etc......oh and 2nd hand furniture too.

Hope this helps and all goes well

Vikki
Thanks.

Yes am thinking now of getting rid of old stuff in house and replacing it before I go. I remember in Italy being surprised with the furniture there, it was either very old but good - the modern stuff was so good in quality.

It pays to ask all these questions so you can get fair idea of what to do!!

Isabelle
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

I'd agree with the above. Bring everything you can. Otherwise, you'll waste time and effort, not to mention money, trying to replace your old favourites. Furniture is very expensive here and there's a lack of cheap, good quality stuff like those IKEA sells. There's no IKEA here or anyting like it in NZ. Freedom Furniture is too expensive.

Also, remember to bring your favourite clothes and electrical appliances as these are expensive or of poor quality here. One of the saddest things is getting rid of the good quality UK electrical plugs and replacing these with the crap plugs out here. Also, load up with decent shoes and medium quality trousers as these are very, very expensive.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by whitesand
I'd agree with the above. Bring everything you can. Otherwise, you'll waste time and effort, not to mention money, trying to replace your old favourites. Furniture is very expensive here and there's a lack of cheap, good quality stuff like those IKEA sells. There's no IKEA here or anyting like it in NZ. Freedom Furniture is too expensive.

Also, remember to bring your favourite clothes and electrical appliances as these are expensive or of poor quality here. One of the saddest things is getting rid of the good quality UK electrical plugs and replacing these with the crap plugs out here. Also, load up with decent shoes and medium quality trousers as these are very, very expensive.
Thanks for all suggestions! Am getting really cautious now about this decision!! Is it the same in Aus with crap plugs and very expensive things?
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

Soppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud of

We brought everything we could apart from the lawnmower and garden tools which I now wish I'd cleaned and brought rather than leave for the new owners of our old house.

Its surprising how money flies out through the door and you need every cent you can get your hands on so replacing furniture just didn't seem the sensible thing to do.

It may be just me but I think everything seems cheaper over here when you come on a reccie because your spending your earned £s but when your earning NZ$s things are much more expensive.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Yes, unfortunately the plugs are not good in Oz either. However, I think you have much more choice of clothes and furniture there, including IKEA. And, there are loads of larger stores like Target selling good stuff at reasonable prices.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.