Take my TV to NZ?

Old Nov 4th 2005, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

plumbob will become famous soon enough
Default Take my TV to NZ?

Hi Guys

Can anyone tell me if my relatively newly purchased TV will work ok when I get out to NZ? Info I've come across is conflicting - anyone 'been there, done that?' Cheers
Old Nov 4th 2005, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Take my TV to NZ?

Hi

Your TV will work for DVD's & Videos and Play station using your own players, TV works on a different frequency. If you hook TV up to a NZ video player it should then pick up their channels.

Boopy
Old Nov 5th 2005, 1:58 am
Account Closed

Sega Mad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boopy
Hi

Your TV will work for DVD's & Videos and Play station using your own players, TV works on a different frequency. If you hook TV up to a NZ video player it should then pick up their channels.

Boopy
You may find that your TV will work brilliantly in NZ by not receiving any programs. This could encourage you to switch it off and go out and do something else, or maybe read or listen to the wireless or sit around a jolly fire and tell stories and sing vacuous campfire ditties.
You may even be able to pick up alien transmissions and then learn their languages so that, when you invent an interplanetary spacecraft and visit their worlds, you can deliver that marvellous scifi cliche

"We learned your language by listening to your (your planet's name here) radio and television transmissions"

Wouldn't you just love to do that!!!

Mars Rules Okay!
Old Nov 7th 2005, 11:54 am
Devonport Duffers

Bodgit has a brilliant futureBodgit has a brilliant futureBodgit has a brilliant futureBodgit has a brilliant futureBodgit has a brilliant futureBodgit has a brilliant future
Red face Re: Take my TV to NZ?

Sorry, techie/geeky question.

Would I be correct in saying that a UK video with the NZ antenna plugged in and a lead run from the SCART output to a UK TV SCART input would be fine as SCART is a standard format, (the TV will output audio and video on same pins regardless of country)?

I am thinking of selling TV in the UK as it is Bl***y heavy and large and awkward to move. I was thinking that, as the TV is apparently bad and I really would miss my TV for films, (not normal programming), I could just end up with a LCD or similar for films in NZ and not worry about current enormous TV.

Is audio/video equipment expensive, (relatively) in NZ?
Old Nov 7th 2005, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bodgit
Sorry, techie/geeky question.

Would I be correct in saying that a UK video with the NZ antenna plugged in and a lead run from the SCART output to a UK TV SCART input would be fine as SCART is a standard format, (the TV will output audio and video on same pins regardless of country)?

I am thinking of selling TV in the UK as it is Bl***y heavy and large and awkward to move. I was thinking that, as the TV is apparently bad and I really would miss my TV for films, (not normal programming), I could just end up with a LCD or similar for films in NZ and not worry about current enormous TV.

Is audio/video equipment expensive, (relatively) in NZ?
From what I've seen on line, they are about the same cost as UK, if you have loads of readdies £'s. Once you starting earning in NZ$, cos the wages are lower you feel that you are forking out more.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 7:05 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Go on take yer telly with you........pity you cant take the channels as well......
Old Nov 8th 2005, 8:15 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by plumbob
Hi Guys

Can anyone tell me if my relatively newly purchased TV will work ok when I get out to NZ? Info I've come across is conflicting - anyone 'been there, done that?' Cheers

Don't take your TV, it will work only if you buy a video or sky box. You will be only able to watch one channel and not record on another. Buy one there is what i would do if i go back. We took our Toshiba widescreen, it worked good but only with a video palyer plugged in. But funnily eonough we had a small portable that worked by switching to German Pal system in a sub menu. It was a Aiwa 14", we also has an almost exact 21" model too but that would not work. There are different Pal versions with most of the Video side compatible but not the audio. That is why you will most likely not get sound. Best bet is to buy one there (we did too) and if you have to get out you can sell it (we did too). You will most likely not sell a POM telly that does not work proper! Hope this helps.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

plumbob will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Lenmil
Don't take your TV, it will work only if you buy a video or sky box. You will be only able to watch one channel and not record on another. Buy one there is what i would do if i go back. We took our Toshiba widescreen, it worked good but only with a video palyer plugged in. But funnily eonough we had a small portable that worked by switching to German Pal system in a sub menu. It was a Aiwa 14", we also has an almost exact 21" model too but that would not work. There are different Pal versions with most of the Video side compatible but not the audio. That is why you will most likely not get sound. Best bet is to buy one there (we did too) and if you have to get out you can sell it (we did too). You will most likely not sell a POM telly that does not work proper! Hope this helps.

Cheers Guys! Seems the moral of this story is buy one out there, which we were thinking of doing, so thanks to all for helping us decide.

Plumbob
Old Nov 10th 2005, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really nice

Originally Posted by plumbob
Cheers Guys! Seems the moral of this story is buy one out there, which we were thinking of doing, so thanks to all for helping us decide.

Plumbob
Not really - a lot of modern TV's enable you to change the region. Check your instruction manual.