Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Takapuna Auckland Advice

Takapuna Auckland Advice

Old Aug 31st 2016, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

ChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to all
Default Takapuna Auckland Advice

Hi Everyone,

The husband has just been offered a job in Takapuna, Auckland and we're wondering about areas within a 40km radius. He is an engineer and I am a photographer (although I also have qualifications in social work).

We have seen a house in Warkworth but wondering if this is too far away?

We are also looking for schools for our 3 kids; we would prefer small schools that focus on pastoral care (empathy, friendship, community) and learning through hands-on fun.

We have lived in Southampton UK, Perth & Brisbane Aus and Lyon, France. We like being close to the sea, we'd love a garden to see if we can grow some veggies, the kids want a horse, some chickens, a mushroom coloured cow, possibly a pig and a dog (Help me now!!) but I'd like to be relatively close to yoga.

This is a lifestyle move and we've accepted a package that is $40k less than we were previously on. Money will be tight but hey, we get to walk mountains
Old Aug 31st 2016, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Takapuna Auckland Advice

Originally Posted by ChocolateOrange
The husband has just been offered a job in Takapuna, Auckland and we're wondering about areas within a 40km radius. He is an engineer and I am a photographer (although I also have qualifications in social work).

We have seen a house in Warkworth but wondering if this is too far away?
I have worked on Auckland's North Shore for a few years now - in that time I have worked with a handful of people that have commuted in from as far away as Warkworth so there are a few. They do it because they can afford a much bigger property that far out of town than if they bought one within the city limits.

I wouldn't want that sort of commute myself though - the motorway into Auckland is full at the Oteha Valley Road intersection by 8:00am and there is continual housing development along that corridor so it can only get worse.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

ChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to all

Thank you Clappy. I guess this is what we're concerned with although we'd have to balance that with what we could actually afford.
Old Sep 1st 2016, 12:56 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

I work in Takapuna and live in Long Bay, it is typically a 30-45min commute once I have dropped the kids at school in Albany at 8:15. Warkworth would put you the far side of the Oteha Valley Road/Greville Road junctions which conspire to cause congestion from <6:30 onwards> - lets face it the Greville Road on-ramp control lights often kick in on a Sunday afternoon let alone a weekday rush hour...

I would guess at a fairly predictable commute time from Warkworth to the Oteha Valley Road junction, then you are into a big variance from there southwards...

One way around it is to drive to the Albany park and ride (getting off the motorway at Oteha Valley), and express bus south from there - the buses use their own dedicated lanes seperate from the motorway for much of the route, of course you would be left with a second bus/walk locally in Takapuna. If I had to make that journey and could sticck to normal commute times (ie no school runs or additional complications requiring car access during the day), that is how I would do it from Warkworth.

Out West is much the same with SH18 coming in and out at Rush hour, it can be "ok" if you travel outside peak times but it can be an unpredictable nightmare, both of our staff who live that way are on the verge of moving job when they can because of it.
Old Sep 1st 2016, 7:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
One way around it is to drive to the Albany park and ride (getting off the motorway at Oteha Valley), and express bus south from there - the buses use their own dedicated lanes seperate from the motorway for much of the route, of course you would be left with a second bus/walk locally in Takapuna. If I had to make that journey and could sticck to normal commute times (ie no school runs or additional complications requiring car access during the day), that is how I would do it from Warkworth.
I wouldn't ever consider that is a viable option long-term as it would soon get tedious, especially on wet windy days, of which there are quite a lot. That involves a heck of a lot of faffing about finding somewhere to park and hoofing it to the actual bus stop (and again on the return journey) and potentially having to change bus at some other point along the way. Parking and getting in and out of the bus station is a nightmare at peak times.

Chances of your arrival at the actual bus top coinciding with arrival of a bus that's going where you want to go would be close to zero, so you might as well stay in the car for the extra 30 minutes and be done with it. At least you'll arrive at work looking relatively sane and unstressed; without your hair in a total mess, soggy wet feet and umbrella turned inside out.
Old Sep 1st 2016, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I wouldn't ever consider that is a viable option long-term as it would soon get tedious, especially on wet windy days, of which there are quite a lot. That involves a heck of a lot of faffing about finding somewhere to park and hoofing it to the actual bus stop (and again on the return journey) and potentially having to change bus at some other point along the way. Parking and getting in and out of the bus station is a nightmare at peak times.

Chances of your arrival at the actual bus top coinciding with arrival of a bus that's going where you want to go would be close to zero, so you might as well stay in the car for the extra 30 minutes and be done with it. At least you'll arrive at work looking relatively sane and unstressed; without your hair in a total mess, soggy wet feet and umbrella turned inside out.
The service on the Northern Express busway is actually 'quite' good (so long as you can live with its limitations). The station at Albany is nearly a proper bus station and the change to get to Takapuna would either be at Smales Farm or at Akoranga - both of those have covered walkways and everything!

The first fly in the ointment is that the park-and-ride at Albany is always full and people have to park on the side streets and then have a ten-minute walk to the station across partly-developed ground which is open to all the elements - just to get started.

I wouldn't do it. Some of the people that I know that have made the journey from Warkworth to Takapuna do it on a motor-cycle to mitigate the effect of the heavy traffic.
Old Sep 1st 2016, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clappy
The service on the Northern Express busway is actually 'quite' good (so long as you can live with its limitations). The station at Albany is nearly a proper bus station and the change to get to Takapuna would either be at Smales Farm or at Akoranga - both of those have covered walkways and everything!
It might be more viable if going all the way to town but not worth the faff for Takapuna - particuarly factoring in the transition time required between buses at Smales or Akoranga and potential for three drenchings on the way to work.
Old Sep 1st 2016, 5:14 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
It might be more viable if going all the way to town but not worth the faff for Takapuna - particuarly factoring in the transition time required between buses at Smales or Akoranga and potential for three drenchings on the way to work.
I usd to live in Silverdale and before the NEX started from there i parked at albany and caught the express to Takapuna. Was very efficient but the car park is generally full by 0720, also I worked near the hospital and not central Takapuna. You could park at Silverdale and catch the bus now which may be an option.

They say Warkworth is commutable but I wouldnt want to do it everyday and not with the weather/traffic issues.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

killercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud of

warkworth is do able, but as others have said unless his job is flexible with times he will spend a lot of time in traffic. However you have to think about the quality of life you want, the house prices are slightly cheeper in Warkworth the primary schols are good but you are imited with the collages. good luck with your decision.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 9:51 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sparkleydiva
I usd to live in Silverdale and before the NEX started from there i parked at albany and caught the express .
Was very efficient but the car park is generally full by 0720,

You could park at Silverdale and catch the bus now which may be an option.
You probably unwittingly may have been on the same bus as my SIL who, like you, used to travel from the Albany park and ride into Auckland, albeit she works near Britomart. She used to park there until, as you say, the car park was full by 7.20am.

She got a lift from her husband to the bus stop and so sidestep needing to park her car. Like you, she now uses the Silverdale park and ride for the Northern Explorer.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Sep 5th 2016 at 9:53 am. Reason: Britomart