Reload this Page >

Swimwear and underwear

Swimwear and underwear

Old Oct 28th 2006, 8:21 am
Just Joined

stmjg01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Swimwear and underwear

Hi

I haven`t really looked into the feasability of doing it yet but I run a ladies swimwear and underwear business ( a small amount of childrens )and I am wondering if there would be any chance of me carrying this on in NZ . I sell all good brands Triumph , gossard etc plus some M&S BHS etc whatever I can get at a reasonable price , what are the shops like there ? do you think there is a need or is the quality you can already buy OK , I have read several times on this forum that the quality of clothing is not that good so I began to wonder !!!! just a germ of an idea at the moment , your opinions would be appreciated .

Thanks Karen
Old Oct 28th 2006, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Swimwear and underwear

Originally Posted by stmjg01
Hi

I haven`t really looked into the feasability of doing it yet but I run a ladies swimwear and underwear business ( a small amount of childrens )and I am wondering if there would be any chance of me carrying this on in NZ . I sell all good brands Triumph , gossard etc plus some M&S BHS etc whatever I can get at a reasonable price , what are the shops like there ? do you think there is a need or is the quality you can already buy OK , I have read several times on this forum that the quality of clothing is not that good so I began to wonder !!!! just a germ of an idea at the moment , your opinions would be appreciated .

Thanks Karen
Ummm maybe I get my mum to buy me swim wear from the UK catalogues and send it over, because I need different size top from bottom and need to buy seperates. However there are a good quality swim wear shops over here seems to cost about $70 for a bikini. We are big into surf brands due to the surfing culture... mmmm maybe....
Old Oct 28th 2006, 12:18 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stmjg01
Hi

Thanks Karen
I'm no great fan of NZ so take my opinion with a pinch of salt if you wish, but the quality of clothes is poor over there, bar the odd more upmarket brand, and I'd have killed for some M and S undies. Bendon is the underwear store of choice there (mainly) and it stocks some good brands amongst the trash. Clothing is generally expensive there (for what you get) so if you could corner the market in good quality but affordable swim/underwear you'd be laughing. It is true that Kiwis like the surf styles (nothing wrong with that exactly) but they need to be educated to like a broader range so see what you can do.
Oh they have seafolly there which is a nice brand - but expensive
Old Oct 28th 2006, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

chelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nice

Hi Karen,

We're down in Queenstown and a lot of the ski/snowboard shops turn into surf shops in the summer selling the usual big brands of O'Neill, Quicksilver etc which do seem to be reasonably priced! (I used to work for Speedo so have done my market research down here!). As for underwear there are 2 boutique shops here but I haven't been in. In other cities in the department stores, I have seen Bonds which is a well prices Oz brand as well as the usual designer ranges.

I think the main influences would be where you would want to do this and which brands are you thinking about as if you import brands from UK/Europe it starts getting v expensive with duties etc. It would be better to source from Australasia or the FarEast!

But, having said that there is nothing like what was Knickerbox or even Victoria Secret! In fact I am still getting my underwear sent out from M&S!

The beauty about being down here is that you can give anything a go and it doesn't cost that much to try!

I hope that helps
Chelsey
Old Oct 28th 2006, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

SecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud of

perhaps you could post some photos to allow us to come to a more informed decision?
Old Oct 28th 2006, 10:36 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chelsey
Hi Karen,

We're down in Queenstown and a lot of the ski/snowboard shops turn into surf shops in the summer selling the usual big brands of O'Neill, Quicksilver etc which do seem to be reasonably priced! (I used to work for Speedo so have done my market research down here!). As for underwear there are 2 boutique shops here but I haven't been in. In other cities in the department stores, I have seen Bonds which is a well prices Oz brand as well as the usual designer ranges.

I think the main influences would be where you would want to do this and which brands are you thinking about as if you import brands from UK/Europe it starts getting v expensive with duties etc. It would be better to source from Australasia or the FarEast!

But, having said that there is nothing like what was Knickerbox or even Victoria Secret! In fact I am still getting my underwear sent out from M&S!

The beauty about being down here is that you can give anything a go and it doesn't cost that much to try!

I hope that helps
Chelsey
Elle by elle Macpherson were available on a 3 for 2 in Auckland Airport last year!!!! The nearest my husband is ever gonna get to getting in Elle Macphersons' knickers!!!!!
Old Oct 28th 2006, 10:40 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Elle by elle Macpherson were available on a 3 for 2 in Auckland Airport last year!!!! The nearest my husband is ever gonna get to getting in Elle Macphersons' knickers!!!!!
Lol!!

We've been advised to do a big George @ Asda shop for the kids clothes and M&S for underwear before we come out!!
Old Oct 28th 2006, 10:43 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Lol!!

We've been advised to do a big George @ Asda shop for the kids clothes and M&S for underwear before we come out!!

Have u seen Pumpkin Patch for kids?? Kiwi Co. but available in Uk. I'd say they were neck & neck with next etc..... Can order online now too
Old Oct 29th 2006, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Lol!!

I did a big shop at a Next half price sale before coming out here for my DS. We have been here 16 months now and my DS is still wearing Next clothes I bought back in the UK. I bought a couple of bits for him from KMart but it wasnt very good quality. I have just bought him some new clothes now for the next size up and ended up at Farmers for t-shirts and tops,and P Patch for Jeans as they had a sale on. P Patch seems good quality stuff but slightly more expensive than Next, JK is just as expensive as P Patch... some of my friends slightly older daughters wont wear P Patch as its so girly... not for tomboys.

So youre right, do some shopping before coming here as more choice over there for kids and at least you dont have to worry about buying kids clothes for a while.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 7:28 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I would pop in and check this thread out

Maybe if you posted some pictures of ladies wearing what you are proposing I may be able to help. I have a keen eye

Old Oct 29th 2006, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack Daws
I thought I would pop in and check this thread out

Maybe if you posted some pictures of ladies wearing what you are proposing I may be able to help. I have a keen eye

lol.... cheeky!

You certainly wouldnt want to see me in my smalls at the moment.... only 10 and a half more weeks til I pop so very large and wobbly at the moment.... and its only going to get worse!
Old Oct 29th 2006, 7:40 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahB
lol.... cheeky!

You certainly wouldnt want to see me in my smalls at the moment.... only 10 and a half more weeks til I pop so very large and wobbly at the moment.... and its only going to get worse!
Well you could do a before and after type thing

Old Oct 29th 2006, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jack Daws
Well you could do a before and after type thing

Before the bun in the oven.... and after... lol.... jeez I can remember how I looked after having my son and it wasnt pretty. I cant even go swimming with my friends and their kids at the moment as I dont want to buy a maternity swimming costume just for another few months. I'll be the one with the huge bump sitting in a massive t-shirt down on the beach.