Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Suspend Britain From Commonwealth - unfair pensions

Suspend Britain From Commonwealth - unfair pensions

Old Aug 20th 2013, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

chc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond repute
Default Suspend Britain From Commonwealth - unfair pensions

Great article in the Telegraph! A group trying to overturn the treatment of Frozen pensions for expats (State pension). I'm interested to know if there are any expats in NZ living on a 'Frozen' pension?

Article at this link.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 6:08 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suspend Britain From Commonwealth - unfair pensions

Yup....they stopped my winter fuel allowance as well...
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 7:32 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chc4me
Great article in the Telegraph! A group trying to overturn the treatment of Frozen pensions for expats (State pension). I'm interested to know if there are any expats in NZ living on a 'Frozen' pension?

Article at this link.
I suspect this has a lot to do with intergovermental decisions of pension rights and increases being agreed between the UK and NZ, and not just an arbitrary decision by the UK
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 10:00 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

It is an old decision to freeze all uk state pensions for those living in commonwealth countries. Those living in EU countries still get the cost of living rises.

It's not a matter for amusement unless ,of course, you are not on the receiving end .

Article

The country of residence has to pick up the shortfall .

Please do read some of the cases of forced abject poverty before making flippant remarks.

Thanks.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 8:38 pm

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Any flippancy detected in my reply to the OP was not in the pen of the writer but the eye of the reader especially as I am on the "frozen" list.
HM Pension Service were only too quick to inform me that "When you leave the UK you will not get annual increases of United Kingdom (UK) State Pension, a bereavement benefit or Widows Benefit while you are living permanently in NEW ZEALAND.
This is because annual increases are not paid outside the UK unless you live in a European Economic Area (EEA) country or one of the countries with whom the UK has a Social Security agreement which allows the increases to be paid."
I was at the same time informed that I would no longer be entitled to receive a Christmas Bonus or Winter Fuel Allowance.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 9:01 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Any flippancy detected in my reply to the OP was not in the pen of the writer but the eye of the reader especially as I am on the "frozen" list.
HM Pension Service were only too quick to inform me that "When you leave the UK you will not get annual increases of United Kingdom (UK) State Pension, a bereavement benefit or Widows Benefit while you are living permanently in NEW ZEALAND.
This is because annual increases are not paid outside the UK unless you live in a European Economic Area (EEA) country or one of the countries with whom the UK has a Social Security agreement which allows the increases to be paid."
I was at the same time informed that I would no longer be entitled to receive a Christmas Bonus or Winter Fuel Allowance.
So it's because the UK and NZ government haven't made an agreement, but the US and UK ones have.. perhaps you should talk to your NZ MP.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 9:15 pm

I think all Governments work on the principal of "what can we get out of it"....
Old Aug 25th 2013, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

chc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond repute

Stormer999, you may or may not be aware that you can 'swap' your UK state pension for a NZ State Pension (called NZ Superannuation). Providing you are over age 65, and a permanent resident, it should be straight forward. The amount depends on your living situation with single or married rates ranging between $300 and $400 per week.

Might be worth checking with Work & Income (WINZ) about your entitlements in NZ.....
Old Aug 25th 2013, 2:24 am

Stormer999, you may or may not be aware that you can 'swap' your UK state pension for a NZ State Pension (called NZ Superannuation). Providing you are over age 65, and a permanent resident, it should be straight forward. The amount depends on your living situation with single or married rates ranging between $300 and $400 per week.

Might be worth checking with Work & Income (WINZ) about your entitlements in NZ.....
Many thanks for the info I will be here 2 years in March so will them be taking up my full permanent residency visa and will have a chat with WINZ
Old Sep 4th 2013, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

FYI
Old Sep 4th 2013, 11:15 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Any flippancy detected in my reply to the OP was not in the pen of the writer but the eye of the reader
My apologies for misunderstandfing Stormer999. Your use of a laughing smilie in your post misled me to think you were making light of a rotten stinking situation for many .
Old Sep 5th 2013, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS
My apologies for misunderstandfing Stormer999. Your use of a laughing smilie in your post misled me to think you were making light of a rotten stinking situation for many .
That was my fault Bevs, right sentiments wrong Smilie....there isn,t one to portray my feelings about the letter informing me of my loss of heating allowance as it arrived in the NZ summer

These are the same people that tell me I can complete tax returns (HM) online by simply registering and I will be posted an activation code that has to be entered within 28 days. They then send the code by ship from Port Louis Mauritius that takes 32 days to arrive.......4 times
Old Sep 5th 2013, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

These are the same people that tell me I can complete tax returns (HM) online by simply registering
Tax returns? If you are now living in New Zealand, you will need to complete a tax return in New Zealand.

New Zealand has the taxing rights to your worldwide income (to use IRDs own words). On leaving the UK you will become a non-tax resident and as NZ has a double tax agreement with the UK you will no longer pay tax in the UK, therefore you should notify the authorities by completing a specific form. There is also a form to give to banks and building societies in the UK to stop tax deductions from interest.

Another helpful site for expats moving or retiring abroad: https://www.gov.uk/moving-or-retiring-abroad

The really good news is that you may qualify for 4 years "Transitional Residency" status in NZ, and therefore pay no tax on foreign income. As always, do your own research but hopefully there is enough above to start you off.

Last edited by chc4me; Sep 5th 2013 at 10:58 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 1:06 am

Tax returns? If you are now living in New Zealand, you will need to complete a tax return in New Zealand.

New Zealand has the taxing rights to your worldwide income (to use IRDs own words). On leaving the UK you will become a non-tax resident and as NZ has a double tax agreement with the UK you will no longer pay tax in the UK, therefore you should notify the authorities by completing a specific form. There is also a form to give to banks and building societies in the UK to stop tax deductions from interest.

Another helpful site for expats moving or retiring abroad: https://www.gov.uk/moving-or-retiring-abroad

The really good news is that you may qualify for 4 years "Transitional Residency" status in NZ, and therefore pay no tax on foreign income. As always, do your own research but hopefully there is enough above to start you off.
I did fill in the form and send it off to NZ IRD but for some unknown reason they referred my case to AKL immigration office questioning my residency status and sent down another set of identification forms. This took nearly a year and UK nice tax peeps were demanding I fill in a self assessment declaration I did get straight eventually and do not pay tax at the mo
Old Sep 6th 2013, 1:08 am

What interest

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.