Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

surprised nobody has mentioned the hammer attack?

surprised nobody has mentioned the hammer attack?

Old Aug 22nd 2007, 6:28 am
Banned

Colin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really nice
Default Re: surprised nobody has mentioned the hammer attack?

Actually I can point you in the direction to get to Scott Base for the summer
Been there myself wish did not have the family commitments so I could go back

btw, I see a lot of nasty stuff being involved with the fire brigade, Search and Rescue if I let it get to me then I would be another stat for the suicide squad. Thats my way of dealing with it to ignore it.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 6:03 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mingusdynasty
I think certain people have got a bit defensive about child abuse/crime on this thread.
The point I was trying to make to support you and others that mentioned child abuse was kinda obscure but potentially on-topic:
what are the chances that the guy who wielded the hammer was abused as a child and what are the chances that he/she was an abuser......sort of a "its all bound up together" point. Anyway I'll sut up now.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 7:02 pm
Banned

Colin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really nice

Originally Posted by lardyl
The point I was trying to make to support you and others that mentioned child abuse was kinda obscure but potentially on-topic:
what are the chances that the guy who wielded the hammer was abused as a child and what are the chances that he/she was an abuser......sort of a "its all bound up together" point. Anyway I'll sut up now.
Right and next it will be people with low IQs, unstable marriages, Unemployed beneficierys and those on ACC all guilty because of their status in society.

To think people get paid to make those profiles up and shatter innocent peoples lives into making then think they are a potential threat.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by niseysOH

You've been pm'd to then
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Admitted a kid last night who was abused so badly,people kidnapped him for his own safety! Heard his whole story,and I've NEVER heard anything that compares. Still got to realise it goes on in every country.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 9:36 pm
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by danny.f
Admitted a kid last night who was abused so badly,people kidnapped him for his own safety! Heard his whole story,and I've NEVER heard anything that compares. Still got to realise it goes on in every country.
where do you work danny? at the welly hospital? Im at the ccdhb myself.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 10:04 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by niseysOH

You've been pm'd to then
Originally Posted by danny.f
Both the PMs to you pair were as a result of your individual posts being reported by other BE members .
One other PM related to copyright infringement
I can dispense with the PMs following a mod action . No worries.

Let's be absolutely crystal clear on this for other members of this BE site that may wish to join this or similar threads.
Lively debates with opposing viewpoints are both interesting and very welcome.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 5:38 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Colin in the middle
Right and next it will be people with low IQs, unstable marriages, Unemployed beneficierys and those on ACC all guilty because of their status in society.

To think people get paid to make those profiles up and shatter innocent peoples lives into making then think they are a potential threat.
methinks you have missed my point: again, "to simply say that NZ's child abuse record does not affect us ex-Pats is to miss the point that these abused kids often become abusers and violent adults"
discuss.......here or on another thread.
TBH, I agree that some level of chastisement for a parent is often a necessary tool in rearing *some* children and the threat of a smack on the bottom or even the threat of something that the "truly PC-mad/children are gods" brigade would consider inappropriate is useful. Removing a parent's leverage in matters relating to child-rearing is I'm afraid a threat to their human rights, as is labelling someone who uses any degree of force with their child in an appropriate, corrective way "an abuser". That's my view as the parent of two lovely boys who need different levels of discipline and different approaches to management. Just as other kids do.
And just as no kid needs abuse and society should stamp it out - period
Old Aug 24th 2007, 12:49 am
Too close to the sun

SirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by garryhg
thats so sad
must be a nightmare for his family......

back home that seems to happen every other week.....
foreign students being murdered in britain,

i can think of at least 3 this year ,1 polish student,brazilian man being shot by policeand french student being murdered,

common occurance back home.....

i,m guessing quite a lot of these attacks and murders back home don,t even make the papers...wouldn,t look good for international relations
Brazillian man was an illegal immigrant though. shouldnt have been there
Old Aug 24th 2007, 3:16 am
Banned

Originally Posted by lardyl
methinks you have missed my point: again, "to simply say that NZ's child abuse record does not affect us ex-Pats is to miss the point
Dont know where your going with this but as far as I am concerned I am a New Zealand resident not singling out any particular group.

Unfortuanatly these so called profilers label someone as at risk because of the so called profile they generalise with.

I could say my Neighbour mistreats their dog because its left outside in a kennel for example and they could say I do because its inside the house. Because someone disagrees with someones view and its not the "official" view then I could find myself under a microscope by one of these well doing people.

Dont suppose you noticed a cultural pattern to child abuse?

What this has to do with some muppet weilding a hammer I can not see the connection. Guess I shouls worry that someone is going to attack me wih a hammer because I have a English background?
Old Aug 24th 2007, 8:41 am
you dewty owld maan!

Dont know where your going with this but as far as I am concerned I am a New Zealand resident not singling out any particular group.

Unfortuanatly these so called profilers label someone as at risk because of the so called profile they generalise with.

I could say my Neighbour mistreats their dog because its left outside in a kennel for example and they could say I do because its inside the house. Because someone disagrees with someones view and its not the "official" view then I could find myself under a microscope by one of these well doing people.

Dont suppose you noticed a cultural pattern to child abuse?

What this has to do with some muppet weilding a hammer I can not see the connection. Guess I shouls worry that someone is going to attack me wih a hammer because I have a English background?
right, I'll try again.
I'd agree that there is a connection between culture and child abuse - for a variety of reasons - one of which is the main thrust of my earlier points.
That is, there is an even clearer connection between being abused as a child and abusing your children and (I would say) becoming an adult with a violent tendancy. Just look at the childhoods of the real vicious serial killers and rapists, etc - far more of them were abused as children than the average, ergo abuse of children breeds abuse of children. Not everyone who was abused becomes an abuser/violent adult but it does make a difference.
I have made nothing of "profiling" whatever that is - I was responding to the point made by other posters along the lines that that "well child abuse is an islander problem so should no affect us - therefore it could be considered as less of a problem to us Europeans".
The point I first made trying to connect the person with the hammer and child abuse still stands (I hope you can see it now) and I'd be interested to hear from anyone who heard any more about the perpetrator of the hammer attack.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 10:30 am
Banned

Sorry I still dont get the connection between a Hammer Attack on a English Fellow and Child Abuse
Old Aug 24th 2007, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

spoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nice

Sorry I still dont get the connection between a Hammer Attack on a English Fellow and Child Abuse
People who are abused may have a greater predilection to mental and social problems. This may or may not result in violence. One would hope people have a reason to believe attacking people with hammers is an acceptable pastime. Child abuse is one of many possibilities.

Its worth noting the article says the attacker was Tongan and there was no evidence of an underlying psychological condition.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 11:17 am
Banned

Originally Posted by spoonguy
People who are abused may have a greater predilection to mental and social problems. This may or may not result in violence. One would hope people have a reason to believe attacking people with hammers is an acceptable pastime. Child abuse is one of many possibilities.

Its worth noting the article says the attacker was Tongan and there was no evidence of an underlying psychological condition.
And now go back to the post I made saying not to make stereo types of what some people think are a high risk to be child abusers.

Without knowing the background of the case involving this Hammer Attack I will not pass a judgement and say this person is also a Child Abuser. Thats like saying someone who drinks a single beer is a alcholic.

Trouble with todays soceity to busy making snap judgements without getting the facts right.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 1:11 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by spoonguy

thanks for the explanation - although I think we are still making heavy weather of the point. Dont wish to belittle the issue of the OP and the information you have to hand but I wouldn't be suprised if the psychological state of the prep has been mis-reported. My OH deals with kids from a developmental and mental point of view and there is very often a background of violence and disruption when the histories of the "maladjusted" or plain old violent kids are examined, seems to me that some of the cultures here in NZ frown upon the subject being discussed and that this part of the problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.