Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

surprised nobody has mentioned the hammer attack?

surprised nobody has mentioned the hammer attack?

Old Aug 21st 2007, 10:13 am
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of
Default surprised nobody has mentioned the hammer attack?

Did anybody read about the English migrant who was killed with a hammer?

He came from Leeds and his folks said they thought NZ was safer than England.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 10:20 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: surprised nobody has mentioned the hammer attack?

Originally Posted by mingusdynasty
Did anybody read about the English migrant who was killed with a hammer?

He came from Leeds and his folks said they thought NZ was safer than England.
Haven't heard about it.
You got a link?
Old Aug 21st 2007, 10:27 am
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by karonious
Haven't heard about it.
You got a link?
http://www.stuff.co.nz/AAMB2/aamsz=3...168352a11.html

this one flew under the radar.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

thats so sad
must be a nightmare for his family......

back home that seems to happen every other week.....
foreign students being murdered in britain,

i can think of at least 3 this year ,1 polish student,brazilian man being shot by policeand french student being murdered,

common occurance back home.....

i,m guessing quite a lot of these attacks and murders back home don,t even make the papers...wouldn,t look good for international relations
Old Aug 21st 2007, 10:31 am
Banned

Originally Posted by garryhg
thats so sad
must be a nightmare for his family......

back home that seems to happen every other week.....
foreign students being murdered in britain,

i can think of at least 3 this year ,1 polish student,brazilian man being shot by policeand french student being murdered,

common occurance back home.....

i,m guessing quite a lot of these attacks and murders back home don,t even make the papers...wouldn,t look good for international relations
of course lots of things don't get mentioned. Like with child abuse. Just cos they highlight one case doesn't mean there aren't more happening every week, cos there are. Lots.

But per capita crime figures in NZ are still really good. (except for child abuse of course)
Old Aug 21st 2007, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Pure chance he happened to be an ex-pat it could easily have been a Kiwi as it was seemingly a completly random event..............
Old Aug 21st 2007, 10:35 am
Banned

Originally Posted by niseysOH
Pure chance he happened to be an ex-pat it could easily have been a Kiwi as it was seemingly a random event..............
A kiwi was beaten with a hammer a couple of years ago and it was caught on cctv. I think the guy got 5 years from memory.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

thats the second time i,ve heard nz is bad for child abuse,

surely its not as bad as britain....

statisticaly given the population of nz is destinctly smaller than britain,surely there has to be less child abuse......
Old Aug 21st 2007, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

spoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nice

You are more likely to be assaulted or murdered in the UK, but then NZ has a higher per capita occurrence or rape and drug offences. Nowhere is perfect.

We have an ex-undercover nz cop working for us and the stories he has can get pretty nasty.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 10:40 am
Banned

Originally Posted by garryhg
thats the second time i,ve heard nz is bad for child abuse,

surely its not as bad as britain....

statisticaly given the population of nz is destinctly smaller than britain,surely there has to be less child abuse......
fraid not.

http://www.savethechildren.org.nz/ne...se_deaths.html.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 10:49 am
Banned

Colin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really nice

I am getting really infuriated with people bringing up a story that just because it involves a English Person it makes out New Zealand is a dangerous place.
Then someone drags up Child Abuse! Well guess what guys most child abuse in New Zealand involves the Maori and Islander population.
Compared to the UK New Zealand is safer than the UK so stop bringing that paranoire and fear over here.

Meantime think about the English Migrant killed today in a Road accident
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/...459066&ref=rss

Dangerous roads we have.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by spoonguy
You are more likely to be assaulted or murdered in the UK, but then NZ has a higher per capita occurrence or rape and drug offences. Nowhere is perfect.

We have an ex-undercover nz cop working for us and the stories he has can get pretty nasty.
When you've got some time i'll tell you all about the child abuse cases, serious sex assaults etc etc etc etc that i can recount to you from the UK police service.

NZ is a safer plcae to be........

a huge percentage of NZ's child abuse be it assualts or otherwise and domestic abuse takes place for some reason in the ethic community and is often family based.

There is not one moment in the day that i think about going back to the Uk for fear of crime in Nz but as everywhere in the world we go i'm aware that there may well be people up to no good around us and i take care in what i and the family do.

The roads here are awesome its just as per elsewhere in the world far to many people are unable to drive them properly and often die as a result!!!
Its not the roads' fault that someone crashes its an element introduced by a car driver be it lack of ability to drive, tiredness, alcohol, etc......

Last edited by teambwr47; Aug 21st 2007 at 11:01 am.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

spoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nice

When you've got some time i'll tell you all about the child abuse cases, serious sex assaults etc etc etc etc that i can recount to you from the UK police service.

NZ is a safer plcae to be........

a huge percentage of NZ's child abuse be it assualts or otherwise and domestic abuse takes place for some reason in the ethic community and is often family based.

There is not one moment in the day that i think about going back to the Uk for fear of crime in Nz but as everywhere in the world we go i'm aware that there may well be people up to no good around us and i take care in what i and the family do.
I do work for the UN offices on a contract basis and i can tell you from our statistics although crime in NZ is certainly lower in many areas it has a very bad record in many others.

Take a look through some reports on here fro the stats the NZ government provided us with

http://www.unodc.org/unodc/en/crime_cicp_surveys.html
Old Aug 21st 2007, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Stats are a wonderful thing and only a couple of years ago in the UK there was the start of the drops, according to the government, of many crimes.

Stangely enough it co-insided perfectly with the reclassing of many crimes by the home office and the way they were recorded....

Ultimately where do YOU feel safer if its the UK and you're that concerned about it then live there..........

Yes theres crime here so what ?

What can we do about it?

Anybody with sense of what goes on around them will know that this country like ALL others is not a crime free, everyone loves each other haven so we all make a choice and just have to get on with it as we live in NZ now not the UK.

Last edited by teambwr47; Aug 21st 2007 at 11:14 am.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

Stats are a wonderful thing and only a couple of years ago in the UK there was the start of the drops, according to the government, of many crimes.

Stangely enough it co-insided perfectly with the reclassing of many crimes by the home office and the way they were recorded....
But with these stats all countries are required to classify the crimes in the same way. Stats are of course only as good as the data from which they are sourced and NZ on a couple of occasions has been called up on "reclassifying".

I just though with people jumping on various soap boxes a little relatively unbiased data would be useful.

Last edited by spoonguy; Aug 21st 2007 at 11:24 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.