British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   surf schools (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/surf-schools-370178/)

brackley Apr 27th 2006 1:47 pm

surf schools

hi, both daughters want to learn to ride the waves next summer. we will be living in wellington. any advise on where is a good place, i've read about tihti bay had both good and bad reports. any info would be welcome. cheers

cottageinthesky Apr 28th 2006 8:45 am

Re: surf schools

Originally Posted by brackley
hi, both daughters want to learn to ride the waves next summer. we will be living in wellington. any advise on where is a good place, i've read about tihti bay had both good and bad reports. any info would be welcome. cheers

I don't surf, but the major surfie beach seems to be Lyall Bay - beside Wellington airport - I was walking the dog the other day and Lyall Bay was as still as a millpond - I wondered why all the surfies were bobbing about in the water - by the time I'd walked 15 minutes along the beach and halfway back, the surf had got up and they were all on their boards - must have a sixth sense! I even watched one doing handstands on his board! Although seem to remember one of my sons phones a "surf line" to find out when and where "surf's up". Lyall Bay is wide and sandy, so presumably would be good for beginners - lots of surfers to take advice from, as well. There is a project to create an artificial reef to increase the number of surf days and make it a world-class surf beach, but think that may have run into funding problems.

The other surf spot I've noticed is Houghton Bay on the South Coast - only a few minutes drive from Wellington City - but that is much narrower and rock-lined, so presume it would be for the more experienced. Irrespective of weather/surf, there always seems to be "old bangers" with surf boards on the roof rack parked in the layby!

brackley Apr 28th 2006 1:11 pm

thanks or the info, suppose we'll be able to walk the dog whilst the kids have the surf lessons. how long have you been in wellington, what do you think about it, have u any kids if so did they settle well into schools etc

cottageinthesky Apr 28th 2006 9:12 pm

thanks or the info, suppose we'll be able to walk the dog whilst the kids have the surf lessons. how long have you been in wellington, what do you think about it, have u any kids if so did they settle well into schools etc

Yes, Lyall Bay - well, half of it - is a dog exercise area where they can be off lead, all year round - there is also a surf life saving club - Maranui - which has a great cafe on the first floor with a deck - balcony - and is a brilliant place to have brunch or coffee on a sunny day. The cafe is run by the same owners of Deluxe Cafe on Kent Terrace at the bottom of Courtenay Place and many think they do some of the best cafe food and coffee in Wellington - just round the corner from my office, which is very handy! The other morning I went for a "flat white to go" and found, at 9.00am, that the whole cafe was full of ethnic musicians playing guitars, pipes, etc. - needless to say the queue was out the door.

I've been in Wellington 10 years - absolutely love it and have no desire to ever see the UK again - we have a combined family of 6 children - all adult, all here except one of my sons who was in Melbourne and has just gone to Bangkok to live for a while on his way to Europe for an extended visit - all in their own homes + two small grandchildren who, to bring me back to the original topic, just love playing on Lyall Bay Beach with our german shepherd!

brackley Apr 29th 2006 2:40 am

thanks for all the +ve info re wellington. we have been there the last 2 years and the family fell in love with the place, thank goodness the girls did, they will be 16 and 10 when we get there. my husband is going mid july and staying with our nephew and will be looking for somewhere to buy in karori and we will be following on 27th aug. meg our black lab should be arriving at the same time as we do. lyall bay sounds wonderful musicians playing in the cafe sounds just right for our oldest. my husband is a carpenter and i'm a nurse and beauty therapist, i hope to work a couple of nights a week eventually and also start up a small beauty business from home. thanks once again for the info

cottageinthesky Apr 29th 2006 5:06 am

thanks for all the +ve info re wellington. we have been there the last 2 years and the family fell in love with the place, thank goodness the girls did, they will be 16 and 10 when we get there. my husband is going mid july and staying with our nephew and will be looking for somewhere to buy in karori and we will be following on 27th aug. meg our black lab should be arriving at the same time as we do. lyall bay sounds wonderful musicians playing in the cafe sounds just right for our oldest. my husband is a carpenter and i'm a nurse and beauty therapist, i hope to work a couple of nights a week eventually and also start up a small beauty business from home. thanks once again for the info

You're very welcome - perhaps when Meg arrives and is settled, we can meet for a dog walk on Lyall Bay Beach!

I'll PM you as, within the family, we have a spec builder and a make-up artist in the film industry.

brackley Apr 30th 2006 12:12 pm

sounds good, meg is a very sociable dog, most evenings she goes to the woods to play with other dogs. hope she will be ok on the flight, we are going to use pps. also thanks about info re building and beauty therapists.