Reload this Page >

SUPPORT GROUPS/CLUBS

SUPPORT GROUPS/CLUBS

Old Jul 11th 2009, 4:02 am
Just Joined

julia. is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SUPPORT GROUPS/CLUBS

Hi!

I have recently moved back to Auckland with my english fiancee. Just wondering if anyone knows of any support groups/clubs in Auckland as he is finding it difficult to make friends?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks
Old Jul 11th 2009, 7:21 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SUPPORT GROUPS/CLUBS

I've been here 4 weeks and kinda finding it hard too...

I've been to a french meetup and that was good... Loads of kiwis!

Dont know what to suggest TBH but will keep an eye on your thread )
Old Jul 11th 2009, 7:42 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Here in Tauranga they run a sort of immigrant settling in group - details of which are in the supermarket and in the local library. See here I would recommend your local library noticeboard for a starting point. Perhaps find a hobby you enjoy and see if there is a local group (knitting or disco dancing perhaps Matewx?) Our library runs, among other things, chess groups, crafts, pilates, debating etc.

Alternatively a running/walking group, a gym class? Anything you enjoy that might get you out and about interacting has to be worth trying to find in your area?

One of our local bars runs cocktail making nights - they asked me to put on a demonstration but I would have drunk all the ingredients.

Good luck.

Last edited by Am Loolah; Jul 18th 2009 at 10:48 pm.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 7:53 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
knitting or disco dancing perhaps Matewx?)
Cheeky!! BEVS & I had loads of fun last night... We danced till 2am...
Please don't be jealous!!

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
One of our local bars runs cocktail making nights - they asked me to put on a demonstration but I would have drunk all the ingredients.
Who in their right mind would ask you to participate in such activity... Clearly they had alcohol to throw away... lol

Back to subject!
I am joining the adirun group, it's a night running group every Tuesday evening. Click here for more infos. I will tell you more once I have been...

Thinking of doing some volunteering work with a HIV support/prevention group... My best buddy in the UK is part of a group like this & says it's a good way to meet people too...
Old Jul 11th 2009, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Matewx
Cheeky!! BEVS & I had loads of fun last night... We danced till 2am...
Please don't be jealous!!

Who in their right mind would ask you to participate in such activity... Clearly they had alcohol to throw away... lol

Back to subject!
I am joining the adirun group, it's a night running group every Tuesday evening. Click here for more infos. I will tell you more once I have been...

Thinking of doing some volunteering work with a HIV support/prevention group... My best buddy in the UK is part of a group like this & says it's a good way to meet people too...
Excellent. Good on you. I used to be a volunteer in London for a crisis type organisation and made some excellent friends there. People from all walks of life, all with a common bond. It was really well run, we were very well cared for in terms of off loading to a duty manager before going home etc. They must have been struggling as I even got promoted after 2 years to being a Mentor!

Two from my original training group became two of my dearest friends. I think this is an excellent idea.

I just used excellent 3 times in one reply - I have no idea why?!
Old Jul 11th 2009, 8:18 am
Live from CHCH...

Excellent eh??
Old Jul 12th 2009, 7:47 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julia.
Hi!

I have recently moved back to Auckland with my english fiancee. Just wondering if anyone knows of any support groups/clubs in Auckland as he is finding it difficult to make friends?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks
What are his interests/hobbies?
Does he play a sport? what about people he works with?
Old Jul 13th 2009, 7:21 am
Just Joined

julia. is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the suggestions!!
Old Jul 13th 2009, 7:49 am
Live from CHCH...

Give us some feedback if it helped or something

You never know it can help someone else, plus it will let us (the BE addicts) know if we are totally useless or not

Last edited by Matewx; Jul 13th 2009 at 7:51 am. Reason: I hadn't finished!!
Old Jul 14th 2009, 3:31 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

I know its not a lots of people cup of tea

But

I started going to a scrapbool group on a tuesday night, i was in the shop having a nosy and was asked to join, i was really nervous as i had it in my head they would all be 110 year olds , you know what it was all ladies my age . I have met lots of lovely people and its just so nice to have a nice relaxing hobby. So far i have scrapbooked our wedding album and i have started one for lucy which i have started from the day she was born and i will do until she older and it something she can keep. Just a really nice way of keeping memories and much nicer than a plain album

anyway as i say it might not be for you , but there are lots of really cool groups out there just check your local paper , we always have things in it. i really fancied mosaic classes so i could make lovely peices for our new garden, but its at same time as scrapbooking im afraid lol

best of luck , im sure you will find something
Old Jul 14th 2009, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Matewx
Give us some feedback if it helped or something

You never know it can help someone else, plus it will let us (the BE addicts) know if we are totally useless or not
He He.. ur wicked !
Berni x
Old Jul 14th 2009, 9:25 am
Live from CHCH...

Originally Posted by 127luton
He He.. ur wicked !
Berni x
Oh thanks
Old Jul 18th 2009, 10:48 pm

Picked up our local settlement support leaflet yesterday which are in our supermarket as I thought of this thread. Details here may be useful.