Supermarket sweep

Old Jan 13th 2007, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Supermarket sweep

I personally avoid the Australian owned supermarkets Countdown and Woolworths.

For one thing, they don't treat their staff fairly, e.g. the recent lock-out of their distribution centre workers.
And I prefer to keep profits in NZ anyway.
I stick to the New Zealand owned New World group as the service and products are better IMO.

The first time I walked into New World Hastings I was blown away by the display of fruit and veg and the bakery was outstanding.
Puts old Safeways to shame.

No mouldy Spanish fruit or withered African lettuce to be seen.
And you get a smile at the check-out

Kip
Old Jan 13th 2007, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

SecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dlmckay
Sorry to hear you were poisoned... I have suffered with food poisoning here too and have now just become really scrupulous with washing hands and ensuring no cross contamination - with the warmer climate, you have to be that much more careful.

We shop at Countdown as I just can't face Push n Shove. It reminds me of Kwiksave and I could never shop there either. Saying that, the new one in Lincoln Road, Henderson isn't that bad.

I found a metal splinter in a samosa that had been bought from Countdown. Now, it was really, really minute, but I got a full refund and an assurance that the manufacturer would be informed.

I never, ever buy fruit and veg from the supermarket. It is overpriced considerably - sometimes as much as twice the cost that I can get it at Fruit World. Now, I'm a bit spoilt because living at the edge of the Auckland burbs, there are numerous strawberry farms and orchards, so at the moment, 2 large punnets of strawberries are costing $4. That's a bargain! Apples can be as low as 0.69c/kg in season too.

Interesting to note you think cucumbers are expensive. They've never struck me as being so, but I've got to buy one today, so I'll check it out!
push and shove lol
Old Jan 13th 2007, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

SecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Apple12

And Mazi, I am very sorry you had a bad experience, but your rants are getting quite tedious. I think you are now officially on my ignore list.
you are just over sensitive - too many precooked sausages makes that happen....
Old Jan 13th 2007, 10:18 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel
you are just over sensitive - too many precooked sausages makes that happen....
Good try... but my local butcher does the best sausages, so it is not something that I will ever experience
Old Jan 13th 2007, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

Good try... but my local butcher does the best sausages, so it is not something that I will ever experience
just as well - you have enough on your plate
Old Jan 14th 2007, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel
just as well - you have enough on your plate
Lol
Mazi, have come across this sticky chicken lots of times, I keep looking till I find a clean one!
Hubby was very ill after some dodgy chicken at KFC, so he went back to complain about it being undercooked.
Manager offered him 1 months KFC free
He wont eat it now.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 2:40 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

I remember being in a butcher shop in Cambridgeshire where the butcher was working with raw mince and then cooked ham without wearing gloves and without washing his hands.
I asked him if this was his usual practice, he said yes, I stood there not believing my eyes, then walked out never to return.

I do get tired when people have a bad experience and then make it out like it is NZs fault, when quite frankly, it is just one of those things that happen.

And Mazi, I am very sorry you had a bad experience, but your rants are getting quite tedious. I think you are now officially on my ignore list.
Mazi writes really well if you ask me and is never vague. I enjoy the posts Mazi makes. Tedious? Don't be daft and don't be insulting.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 2:47 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

I only buy frozen chickens now, apparently the freezing process kills off some very nasty bacteria. I buy frozen chickens in bulk whenever they're on offer.
I'm getting a feeling from the various posts on here that fruit and veg must be cheaper on the north island but it's only me guessing cos I've never been up there.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 6:35 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Supermarket sweep

Originally Posted by mumomonty
Mazi writes really well if you ask me and is never vague. I enjoy the posts Mazi makes. Tedious? Don't be daft and don't be insulting.
I think it's great for the people who are yet to move to NZ to get views from both those living there and loving it and those who have tried it and for whatever reason it hasn't worked out.

So long as the posts don't get personal it's great to have both sides of the coin.

Buzzy
Old Jan 14th 2007, 11:14 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mumomonty
Haha! Pot and kettle spring to mind
Old Jan 14th 2007, 11:41 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

I can't wait to shop in NZ again. Lovely fresh fruit that's happy to be alive and not to mention tasty meat that once stood in a field eating grass, as opposed to eating other animals and hanging its head waiting for death. NZ produce tastes wonderful. OK, so there's no tesco, and yes, shock horror its a different layout to what's over here. But I think your'll find a shop which caters to your taste and wallet. And your'll also find that somethings that are expensive there and cheaper here are also cheaper there and more expensive here. Not a big surprise really.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

StevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud of

Good post

BTW
ASIATIC FOR EMPEROR
Old Jan 15th 2007, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

StevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud of

In Woolworths today we bought a bottle of 'Chilli Blast'...an extremely refreshing chilli cordial with a shot of lime. Made by a ginger beer company. My first question was 'why make a chilli drink?' my second question, after mixing it 1pt cordial to 4pts water, as directed, and then sipping was 'when will my sight return?':scared:
It compares to ginger beer the same way sulphuric acid compares to orange juice! Even before I drank any my nostril hairs had disolved!! This has got to be the strangest grocery item I have yet come across here...It is however addictive, cos I'm going to have some more now
Old Jan 15th 2007, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StevieB
In Woolworths today we bought a bottle of 'Chilli Blast'...an extremely refreshing chilli cordial with a shot of lime. Made by a ginger beer company. My first question was 'why make a chilli drink?' my second question, after mixing it 1pt cordial to 4pts water, as directed, and then sipping was 'when will my sight return?':scared:
It compares to ginger beer the same way sulphuric acid compares to orange juice! Even before I drank any my nostril hairs had disolved!! This has got to be the strangest grocery item I have yet come across here...It is however addictive, cos I'm going to have some more now
wanted to give karma for that but have to be spreading around a bit before i can do you again , but PMSL at that one
Old Jan 15th 2007, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StevieB
Good post

BTW
ASIATIC FOR EMPEROR
wot are u like

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.