Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The sunniest place in NZ to live

The sunniest place in NZ to live

Old Mar 27th 2005, 9:26 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The sunniest place in NZ to live

Originally Posted by Deb+Chris
Yeah.. Nelson seems to have the best of both worlds as in.... it has a great climate and... it's on the South Island.

If I had a choice of anywhere in NZ it would have to be there. I think house prices are high there which is probably because it's such a great location. I prefer the South Island over the North anyway, so Nelson would be my pick.

(Can't believe those shortcuts from Pom in NZ!!! OMG, only know about two!).
Nelson may have a great climate but overall theres good and bad days weatherwise anywhere in NZ. Winter in christchurch for instance can often have many fine days, just be prepared for crisp winter mornings till after the sun has well and truly risen.

In anycase unless you are retiring to NZ, i would think the employment and housing situation would take priority over climate,scenery and entertainment.
Old Mar 27th 2005, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
And if warm, sunny weather is important to you, Australia is probably going to be a better choice than NZ.

Jeremy
Unfortunately I am too old to migrate and too young to retire to Australia
Old Mar 27th 2005, 10:47 am
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough
Cool Re: The sunniest place in NZ to live

Well, i live in Nelson, and coming from the UK and travelled quite extensively throughout NZ, i would say Nelson has an awesome climate! Ok, its a little unsettled at the moment, but apart from the awfull xmas weather it has been a scorching summer here in Nelson. Someone said Nelson was windy, i don't think so, It's usually very calm, try Welly if ya want wind!!! Nelson is seldom windy.

Av. 2500 hrs of sunshine per year (same as Adelaide, Australia) What you also have to remember is that the ambient temp is not a good guide as the direct sun is VERY hot due to the thin (or lack of) ozone. You can burn here very easily and very quickly.
Winter is still quite pleasant, sunny and cool with temps easily into double figures, morning frosts, sunny days (and rainy ones . There are other great places in NZ with similar climate BOP and Hawkes Bay, but i think Nelson is a wonderful place, but the real estate is a bit pricey!
It rains here yes of course, never seen snow apart from on the mountains and surrounding hills.
It's not paradise, well.......not quite

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails The sunniest place in NZ to live-nelson-bay.jpg  

Last edited by garrisondamn; Mar 27th 2005 at 10:53 am.
Old Mar 27th 2005, 9:03 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

Hi Alan,

Long time no speak! Hows things?

We are all good here, well apart from Ian who has an illusive wiring fault on his bike which is driving him nuts, don't spose you know where he can get his hands on a wiring diagram or manual for a Suzuki GSX-R1100W before he rips out the intire loom through frustration do you?

Like I said we are all well, off on our hols in a few weeks to the Sunshine Coast which we are all looking forward too, promised to take the kids to Australia Zoo!

Take care

Paula
Old Mar 28th 2005, 7:55 am
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: The sunniest place in NZ to live

Originally Posted by Watt Dabney
Hi Alan,

Long time no speak! Hows things?

We are all good here, well apart from Ian who has an illusive wiring fault on his bike which is driving him nuts, don't spose you know where he can get his hands on a wiring diagram or manual for a Suzuki GSX-R1100W before he rips out the intire loom through frustration do you?

Like I said we are all well, off on our hols in a few weeks to the Sunshine Coast which we are all looking forward too, promised to take the kids to Australia Zoo!

Take care

Paula
Hey, i'm bloody good actually, enjoying a few (well a week ) days off, getting a few things done round the house etc. Still waiting for pension news
This is my first time back on here in about a year, i thought you had retired too?!!
Trying to find info on Adelaide as we may be considering a move there in a few years. Nothin wrong with Nelson & NZ, just got the travel bug and a change etc. Pie in the sky at the mo though. Just got it in my head. It'll pass i expect.
We called it at yours a few weeks ago, but you guys were out (again!) your Kaipoi lifestyles must be just too good!
Glad to hear you're off to Oz for a break.Have a great time, will have to get together again when ya'll get back. We will warn you next time we are down there.
I will investigate into a wiring diagram for Ian. Keep him calm!

See ya.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 8:18 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by garrisondamn
Hey, i'm bloody good actually, enjoying a few (well a week ) days off, getting a few things done round the house etc. Still waiting for pension news
This is my first time back on here in about a year, i thought you had retired too?!!
Trying to find info on Adelaide as we may be considering a move there in a few years. Nothin wrong with Nelson & NZ, just got the travel bug and a change etc. Pie in the sky at the mo though. Just got it in my head. It'll pass i expect.
We called it at yours a few weeks ago, but you guys were out (again!) your Kaipoi lifestyles must be just too good!
Glad to hear you're off to Oz for a break.Have a great time, will have to get together again when ya'll get back. We will warn you next time we are down there.
I will investigate into a wiring diagram for Ian. Keep him calm!

See ya.

Me, retire from these boards, never, I'm way too nosey for that!!!!

Sorry we were out when you called last, would be good to meet up again. Ian finds it quite reassuring that you still have the travel bug cause he has terminal itchy feet! At some point in his life he wants to live about 1hour away from Phillip Island! so I can see us moving around again In the future. Honestly its like living with a piece of tumble weed, i'm sure Sue knows how that feels! That time we visited you he came away from Nelson with arm fulls of real estate mags. I'm sure we will be bringing some back from the Sunshine Coast too!

Would be most grateful if you could investigate the wiring diagram, Ian has trawled the net to no avail, no Haynes manual for that model apparently and god knows how much for a genuine Suzuki one. He has been spotted with a long face gazing at pics of his old bike muttering those immortal words, " I should never have sold her!" His boss is trying to talk him into going to the Brass Monkey Rally! don't know if he will go or not though, I know my Winter rally days are well and truly over though!

Take care, will keep my fingers crossed for the pension thingy for you guys!

Paula
Old Mar 28th 2005, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Paula

SweetPea by anychance???
Old Mar 29th 2005, 9:10 pm
CyndsandChris

So what's Wellington like then really heard some scary stats about wind etc but is it really that bad??

Is there a place that's similar to Cape Town in climate? or at the very least better than Buckingham UK?? or is that a redundant question?

Thankee
enjoy ur day!

CyndsandChris

Old Mar 29th 2005, 11:52 pm
Non-addicted member!

Originally Posted by CyndsandChris
So what's Wellington like then really heard some scary stats about wind etc but is it really that bad??

Is there a place that's similar to Cape Town in climate? or at the very least better than Buckingham UK?? or is that a redundant question?

Thankee
enjoy ur day!

CyndsandChris
Well, before i get shot down in flames (which happens to many on here! ) I do not live in Welly, but have travelled from here (Nelson) to the North Island many times. Wellington looks beautiful when the sun shines, but i have only seen it twice (the sun that is)
In my experience it is very windy a lot of the time. In fact while waiting for the ferry back to the South Is i had place my motorcycle helmet on the ground beside my bike and the wind caught it and rolled it across the car park, last time i do that!
It's a nice city though, easy to navigate and i'm sure its not windy all the time
Not sure about similar Cape Town climate, its windy there too isn't it? On the whole i would say NZ has a much nicer climate than UK, it rains less (unless you live in Auck ) and is warmer!
There must be someone on here that lives in Welly that can answer better.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 12:26 am
Banned

kiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nice

Wellington?? Not sunny??? Nah! Sun always shines here. Well, it does above the clouds...

Also a fine city for us bikers. Nothing quite like a fast transit of Haywards, or across the Rimutakas, or down to Lake Ferry. Heaven....

Sunniest place in NZ - Nelson, BoP, but don't forget Alexandria and the lakes. Alexandria had a few days this year where it topped 40C, and having spent quite a bit of time down there, I can tell you that summers tend to long, hot, and dry.

Too hot for me, but others may like it. Nice part of the country.

There are several GX'er 1100W manuals on ebay, if that helps...
Old Mar 30th 2005, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

Hawkes Bay has a great climate. Not like the Med. but similar to Bordeaux region of France - that is why the grapes are similar. Warmer than Nelson in the Winter and lacking in the snow of Otago/Canterbury (though it is on the surrounding mountain ranges through the Winter). Only frosty for a few days last Winter and which didn't get up the hill in Havelock North where we live. Can be windy in Winter.

In essence the climate is much, much better than the South of England. Kiwis think it is better weather than BOP.
Roger
Old Mar 30th 2005, 6:45 am
Inverted Firkin Inventor

There are several GX'er 1100W manuals on ebay, if that helps...[/QUOTE]

Kiwijetpilot have a gold star and go to the top of the class!!!!

Have found one on ebay as you suggested factory manual downloadable PDF 2.99 pounds. Ta very muchly.

Paula
Old Mar 30th 2005, 7:04 am
Banned

kiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nice

See I do have my uses...
Old Mar 30th 2005, 9:21 am
Non-addicted member!

Originally Posted by Watt Dabney
There are several GX'er 1100W manuals on ebay, if that helps...
I found a couple but not the W model.

Paula, i have sent you a PM. They'll start talking about us!!
Old Mar 30th 2005, 10:30 am
Banned

Try

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

and

(not sure if that last one will have wiring diagrams)

and

That last one looks the best bet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.