British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   sun cream (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/sun-cream-755100/)

crumpy10 Apr 16th 2012 7:34 pm

sun cream

I know we have to use sun cream in NZ, but can anyone suggest a good one? I have been considering P20 once a day.... not cheap, but if it works......

Any ideas?

Cheers

Anna:D

love30stm Apr 16th 2012 7:53 pm

Re: sun cream

I use factor 30+ if im out in the sun, dont sunbathe anymore as the sun is extreme. plus I hate the suntanned bronze look.

and I use a sunblock foundation cream all year round 30+ on my face by Fleur De Mar its not cheap $50,00 for 50g can only get it from oner place here in wangas as its from Australia as I dont want to end up like a wrinkled prune :lol:

Sun cream is not cheap here like everthing else! :sneaky:

MrsFychan Apr 16th 2012 9:22 pm

I put 50sport on the kids and on my face and 30 on my arms and legs, but then I really don't tan that well.
You should also buy bug off or similar to ward the mossies off. not that it has done much good for me and the daughter but the husband and son it works on.

pricklykina Apr 17th 2012 3:52 am

I use 30+
It varies as to the brand. this year has been mainly banana boat
last year I was using mainly zinc based ones like invisible zinc.
I use neutrogena on my face - I think it's 45 but I prefer a 30. It's hard to get less than 30.

I am well endowed with melalin with my afro-caribbean ancestry. I still burn after about 40 mins with no cream

Kija Apr 17th 2012 7:53 am

I use Neutrogena age shield on my face, it's factor 70 but I've read anything over 30 is superfluous. I'm olive skinned and got burnt standing 10 minutes in the sun so we're pretty diligent with the sun creams now!

We use Nivea on our arms etc.

Bo-Jangles Apr 17th 2012 8:31 am

Originally Posted by crumpy10 (Post 10008919)
I know we have to use sun cream in NZ

There's no law that says you have to. I hardly ever use it and only then a cursory smear of some moisturiser with spf on my face. On the days we have sun I'm usually at work and I don't find that the sun burns me when I am around the house, in the car, the office or in the shops. :rofl:

Seriously who has time to sit in the sun for more than ten minutes anyway. It's easier to avoid the sun and keep covered than it is to slap greasy old slop on yourself day in and day out. For gardening I wear long sleeves and long pants.

love30stm Apr 17th 2012 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 10009862)
There's no law that says you have to. I hardly ever use it and only then a cursory smear of some moisturiser with spf on my face. On the days we have sun I'm usually at work and I don't find that the sun burns me when I am around the house, in the car, the office or in the shops. :rofl:

Seriously who has time to sit in the sun for more than ten minutes anyway. It's easier to avoid the sun and keep covered than it is to slap greasy old slop on yourself day in and day out. For gardening I wear long sleeves and long pants.

Long sleeves and pants are you serious? :rofl: sorry :p

I don't sit in the sun but when im out jogging or having a coffee or wine With friends I put sunscreen on in fact I put it on if I'm outside just for a few minutes

chocolate cake Apr 17th 2012 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 10009862)

Sure, no law says you have to, but you'd be mad not to. The suns strong here in summer, even when it's behind the clouds. Look at the stats,
http://www.osh.govt.nz/publications/...cancer/01.html
http://sunsmart.org.nz/skin-cancer/s...and-statistics

melanoma rates are high in NZ.

Why would you to avoid the outdoors?

FWIW I use a factor 15 when out cycling & kayaking but apply regularly.

Bo-Jangles Apr 17th 2012 11:38 am

Originally Posted by chocolate cake (Post 10009922)
Why would you to avoid the outdoors?

FWIW I use a factor 15 when out cycling & kayaking but apply regularly.

I didn't say I avoid the outdoors, far from it but mostly I feel more at risk of rust or trenchfoot from the wet, rather than sunburn. :rofl:

I'm not exactly some wan and sensitive little soul afraid of the daylight. I spend a lot of time in the garden but can usually work it so that I am not in the direct sun for any great length of time, mostly because of the heat rather than fear of sun on my skin. We have a shade sail over the deck and I haven't had sunburn once in seven years. Probably a bit late for me to start getting precious about it, afterall I spent all of my childhood outdoors and every opportunity in early adulthood chasing the sun and baking myself until mahogony - a look that I also absolutely detest now.

I don't however play outdoor sports, ride a bike or do kayaking. The times of day I am likely to be out for more than five minutes is early in the morning or late evening when sun is not strong. I haven't yet met anyone who is concerned with slip slop slap to the extent that it impedes their everyday life and they need to baste themselves in it all day every day, is all.

Certainly a different story though where the littlies are concerned.

moneypenny20 Apr 17th 2012 11:54 am

Please do not use P20. Whilst it may be excellent at preventing burning and they claim to prevent 95% of UVB absorption they simply state that they offer UVA protection but with no factual backup. UVA is considered as dangerous in the 'creation' of cancer cells. If you're going to use sunscreen, please ensure you use one that is at least a SPF30 and has high UVA and UVB protection.' Life is too short to have cancers cut out of your body.

crumpy10 Apr 17th 2012 8:18 pm

Thanks all for your advice, I am mostly concerned as I am fair skinned and kids are really blonde! I always use a factor 30 (minimum) on me and kids, just wondered what others used.

Normally use Ambre solaire, boots own etc..... just wanted a more user friendly option, but if needs must to stop burning and skin cancers... we will keep on as we are.

And whilst I know that it is not law to wear sun protection, it is in our house!

Anna :D

scrubbedexpat094 Apr 17th 2012 11:11 pm

I took advantage of being in the UK just recently & bought some Boots Soltan Factor 50 back with me. Over here I tend to buy the Neutrogena spray on sun cream. I use a moisturiser with an SPF 15 everyday.

However I like to go out for a short while when it's not too hot without any suncream on, to get a dose of Vit D.

Have to be honest though, I spend less time outside here generally because it's too hot ;)