Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Suicide toll surpasses road deaths

Wikiposts

Suicide toll surpasses road deaths

Old Oct 25th 2008, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Suicide toll surpasses road deaths

Originally Posted by garryhg
I have to agree with you,suicide wont stop just because they have a father in their life...a lot of the kids that have comitted suicide will have had there fathers there and probably quite supportive fathers too..IMHO speaking to your kids,listening to them and observing changes in them and YES letting them have some kind of release,a good old cry never hurt anyone(MALE or FEMALE)...and this doesn't turn them into women

I think people who comitt suicide have to be depressed or there is so many young kids dabbling in drugs these days,it distorts there outlook on life and makes them that low that this is the only way out,it must be a nightmare for them....just my opinion...Jacky
Accordng to the newspaper I have read about this, the suicide total of 511 includes overdoses but not alcohol deaths - another 15 wasted lives.

they also think that that of the 424 road deaths some of them were 'autocides', dear me what are we all coming to... and 101 drownings!
Old Oct 25th 2008, 3:40 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

There are a number of different factors too numerous to really look at here but I always think it is sad when people try to nut it down to one factor.

There is concern that a large number of teen suicides are young male Maori and Pacific Islanders. Could it be put down to culture? Or factors which people in a particular demographic may face (income levels, overcrowding of homes, health, language, education) or a combination of all three.

But then, there is a huge number of males (same, young, dumb, full of...fun) who wouldn't fall into any of the above groups and still they have a disturbing suicide rate.

Or girls? Traditionally boys used quite agressive forms to kills themselves (gun, hanging, train tracks) whereas girls attempted suicide/perhaps cries for help more often but with less automatically fatal methods (pills, poisons, alcohol). But this is changing too. Girls are now finding ways of killing themselves just as effectively as boys.

I suppose you could say that a common factor is the country they live in. Except, that, in itself is also too simplistic. I personally think it is a number of things - a 'harden up' attitude, a belief that anti depressants are automatically wrong (um, why...diabetics take insulin don't they? I am not against people stopping the frivilous distribution of them but some people should consider medication along with other methods such as counselling, coping skills etc), access to cars & booze etc etc etc.

And yet, I know of a very happy girl of 17 (good school, good family, 'good' factors) who heartbroken to find out her father was terminally ill killed herself under a train. And in Whitby there is a memorial to the kids who died (murder, car accident, suicide, drowning) over a weekend but also to other children/young people who were finding it difficult to cope and killed themselve. Those people (particularly gregory fortuin, former honorary consul to the South African Embassy) acknowledged there is a problem and a lack of help. They also acknowledged that it was not one thing but many things.

Wow, I am ranting again aren't I. This is what happens when I have been stuck inside because of the rain
Old Oct 26th 2008, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

I have to agree with you,suicide wont stop just because they have a father in their life...a lot of the kids that have comitted suicide will have had there fathers there and probably quite supportive fathers too..IMHO speaking to your kids,listening to them and observing changes in them and YES letting them have some kind of release,a good old cry never hurt anyone(MALE or FEMALE)...and this doesn't turn them into women

I think people who comit suicide have to be depressed or there is so many young kids dabbling in drugs these days,it distorts there outlook on life and makes them that low that this is the only way out,it must be a nightmare for them....just my opinion...Jacky
http://www.canadiancrc.com/PDFs/Harv...er_No_1917.pdf

Drugs and alcohol abuse are factors in high suicide rates, but nearly every study indicates that it is living in single mother household that is the reason for large RISE in suicides when the number of children is slowly dropping !

Over the last 30 years it is YOUTH suicide that has increased dramatically,suicide amongst older people has dropped .
Divorce rates at the county, state, and national level are highly correlated with youth suicide rates !

Statistics show that children from single-mothers households (compared to children of two parent households) are five times more likely to commit suicide ! And the RISE in suicide rates is due to youths living in homes with a divorced parent (in vast majority of cases women). Women initiate most divorces usually for trivial reasons and the NZ state takes kids away from fathers and supports single mother families with DPB, free housing.

My main point is that if it was women who committed suicide 4 times more than men, Billions of dollars wouold be spent on them, but MEN DO NOT MATTER (until the next war of course)
What you say is MIGHTY uninformed, downright incorrect and well, silly really ! Like the majority of women , you do not understand the role of a father in kids' (especially sons ) lives, you assume that women OWN kids, but SISTER , t i m e s a r e c h a n g i n g !!!!!!!!

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Oct 26th 2008 at 2:03 am.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
http://www.canadiancrc.com/PDFs/Harv...er_No_1917.pdf

Drugs and alcohol abuse are factors in high suicide rates, but nearly every study indicates that it is living in single mother household that is the reason for large RISE in suicides when the number of children is slowly dropping !

Over the last 30 years it is YOUTH suicide that has increased dramatically,suicide amongst older people has dropped .
Divorce rates at the county, state, and national level are highly correlated with youth suicide rates !

Statistics show that children from single-mothers households (compared to children of two parent households) are five times more likely to commit suicide ! And the RISE in suicide rates is due to youths living in homes with a divorced parent (in vast majority of cases women). Women initiate most divorces usually for trivial reasons and the NZ state takes kids away from fathers and supports single mother families with DPB, free housing.

My main point is that if it was women who committed suicide 4 times more than men, Billions of dollars wouold be spent on them, but MEN DO NOT MATTER (until the next war of course)
What you say is MIGHTY uninformed, downright incorrect and well, silly really ! Like the majority of women , you do not understand the role of a father in kids' (especially sons ) lives, you assume that women OWN kids, but SISTER , t i m e s a r e c h a n g i n g !!!!!!!!
Of course I understand the role of a father in a kids life,I happen to have a fantastic husband who is the back bone of this family,IMHO you are generalising women because of your experiences and I think its about time you lost all that baggage you are carrying around with you..I really felt for you at the start,but you are just really starting to irritate me now.

Not all women think they own there kids,And if someone(be it a woman or a man initiates a divorce) for whatever reason they state it would usually be because the marriage was dead in the water..

And I do actually agree with you that something should be done about investigating the amount of suicides,be it male OR FEMALE SUICIDES,you seem to be pretty hung up on the male being hard done to...Jacky
Old Oct 26th 2008, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

NZ suicide strategy 2006-2016

seems the goverment have put a 10 year plan into place to try and reduce All suicides..MEN and women..

Aparantly MALE suicides are at the lowest they have been since 1998...something must have changed to start bringing the numbers down...Jacky
Old Oct 26th 2008, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Insults ? Personal Attacks ? Minimising fathers ? Making up false statistics ? Poor English ?

Maybe if i had a wife like you, I would consider suicide too (hehe)

The results of Kiwi men being abused for so long :-

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/...ectid=10539478

last paragraph sums it up

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Oct 26th 2008 at 8:31 am.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Insults ? Personal Attacks ? Minimising fathers ? Making up false statistics ? Poor English ?

Maybe if i had a wife like you, I would consider suicide too (hehe)

The results of Kiwi men being abused for so long :-

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/...ectid=10539478

last paragraph sums it up

IMHO the only person throwing personal attacks is you,you have a very chauvinistic attitude.

when have I ever minimised fathers

What false statistics have i made up

Now I can understand why your life left you..HE HE
Old Oct 26th 2008, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for your sympathy , i will just go and gas myself now HEHE, will blame it on you in note

you evidently admit the Insults, Personal Attacks and Poor English then

Did you read the "Come hither" article, Jacky ? Do you agree about the lack of males ?

Women never work in the 3 D jobs, dirty, difficult or dangerous, do they ?
Men die in 95% of work related deaths too !

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Oct 26th 2008 at 8:56 am.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for your sympathy , i will just go and gas myself now HEHE, will blame it on you in note

Did you read the "Come hither" article, Jacky ? Do you agree about the lack of males ?

What insults, Personal Attacks and poor English..

nope didn't read the article,

And as for women not working in the 3D jobs,what point exactly are you trying to make..ahhhhhhhhhh poor you BS,
..10/10 for your hard done by act...

hope you are going to get someone to turn the gas off after you..Its very expensive here you know..he he..Jacky
Old Oct 26th 2008, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Suicide toll surpasses road deaths

Will all females please ignore this guy...he has all the makings of a cyberbully.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

NZ suicide strategy 2006-2016

seems the goverment have put a 10 year plan into place to try and reduce All suicides..MEN and women..

Aparantly MALE suicides are at the lowest they have been since 1998...something must have changed to start bringing the numbers down...Jacky
Jacky there were quite a lot of middle aged men who took their lives in the
80's when the market crashed. A lot were autocide. At the time there no concrete barriers down the southern motorway.

Research I have seen indicates that woman who attempt suicide tend to overdose and there is more likely to be an intervention. Men use more radical means.

I can't believe that anyone could honestly say suicide is cowardly, though I supsect that would indicate an inability to understand the hopelessness of long term depression caused by chemical imbalances.

We have a long way to go finding an effective treatment for depression. But I guess as long as we have a society that keeps writing suicide as the action of the weak and cowardly and making excuses about parenting etc we wont see it.

Last edited by Bellasmum; Oct 26th 2008 at 6:14 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 8:15 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
I can't believe that anyone could honestly say suicide is cowardly, though I supsect that would indicate an inability to understand the hopelessness of long term depression caused by chemical imbalances.
Hear, hear Bellasmum.

I suspect it is a phrase tripped out when people are so devastated and at a complete loss as to explaining that person's state of mind at the time and their consequence actions.

I only heard of "autocide" this weekend in the Sunday Herald - is it a recognised phrase that's been around for some time? Choosing to smash in to an innocent party head on to end one's own live, but most probably theirs too, is a real shocker.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 8:50 pm
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Right Martin, time to cut all the misogynist bull-shit once and for all. Get over yourself.
Some facts concerning suicide.

The Sad Persons Rating Scale (patterson 19830 uses a mnemonic to help remember the suicide factors.

Sex
Males have a 3 times higher rate of suicide than women (mainly because of the more lethal methods used to kill themselves)

Depression
25 - 30% of people who attempt suicide have a mood disorder

Previous Attempts
50 - 80% of successful suicides have attempted suicide previously

ETOH
20 - 90% of suicides are associated with heavy drug or alcohol use

Rational Thought Loss
Psychosis increases the risk of suicide

Social Support
Lacking support from relatives, friends, religious practices and ocupational satisfaction increases suicide risk

Organised Plan
Method, time, date, fantasies of funeral and grieving of significant others

No Significant Other
Single, widowed, divorced or separated people have a higher risk of suicide

Sickness
Painful, debilitating chronic or terminal illness increases suicide risk.

Right, these are evidenced based facts. I have more if you wish to read them. But I doubt you do as they don't fit with your sadly misguided mind set. Now give it a rest brussel-sprout because we are all heartily sick of your 'woe is me' attitude
Old Oct 26th 2008, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

eddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by karonious

Sex
Males have a 3 times higher rate of suicide than women (mainly because of the more lethal methods used to kill themselves)

Just what I was going to say a shotgun is a dam sight more effective then a few pills a hot bath and text messages to yout friends.

Sucide is also the biggest killers in some ages groups, which is very sad
Old Oct 26th 2008, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karonious
Right Martin, time to cut all the misogynist bull-shit once and for all. Get over yourself.
Some facts concerning suicide........

Right, these are evidenced based facts. I have more if you wish to read them. But I doubt you do as they don't fit with your sadly misguided mind set. Now give it a rest brussel-sprout because we are all heartily sick of your 'woe is me' attitude
Here..here...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.