Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Suggestions of Where I Can Send Parents!

Suggestions of Where I Can Send Parents!

Old Sep 7th 2014, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

smileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nice
Default Suggestions of Where I Can Send Parents!

My parents (67 and 70) are coming to visit, from UK, for Christmas.

They plan to arrive at the beginning of December and leave mid January. I may kill them with my bare hands if I have to entertain them for that long!

I was thinking of packing them off on a coach tour - we are in Auckland, so was thinking maybe a tour that takes them to the South Island would be good - to see some of NZ that I won't be able to take them to!

They aren't 'independent' travellers (ie, I couldn't just buy them a guidebook and a train ticket).

Does anyone have any recommendations for organised tours they have experience of please? They are fairly fit for walking but are not up to anything more energetic like cycling or climbing.
Old Sep 7th 2014, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

janiejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suggestions of Where I Can Send Parents!

How about one of those cruises? I think they start in South Island, then work their way around the country, not sure about prices though. I think I've seen Princess Lines docked in Wellington.

There is a coach company that does trips, APT , or something similar? Maybe ask at your local travel agent.
Old Sep 7th 2014, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

kiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to behold

http://www.kiwirailscenic.co.nz

Have a look at trains - scenic trip from Auckland and as far as Christchurch and then a cheap flight back up
Old Sep 7th 2014, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

smileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nice

Thank you - appreciate the suggestions
Old Sep 7th 2014, 10:10 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Northern Explorer is a scenic train trip on the north island of nz.

The Trans Alpine is a train journey around the S.I.

They could take the ferry from Wellington to Picton, great scenery from the boat. Tell them how great Invercargill is and would they like to walk back to Auckland to lessen the environmental impact of using a vehicle ? (only joking)

Take it Easy tours operates in Wanganui, NZ. It does days out for people who are mostly retired. If they come down this way, it could entertain them for a day.

Also, if they came to Wangas, they could take an excursion on the antique steam boat the Waimarie.

Whale watching in Kaikoura could be an option.

Write their itinerary for them, then you know where and when they're going and they are unlikely to return until you are ready !

Last edited by Snap Shot; Sep 7th 2014 at 10:14 am. Reason: Invercargill
Old Sep 8th 2014, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Write their itinerary for them, then you know where and when they're going and they are unlikely to return until you are ready !
You do have to be very specific or they come back too soon. We flew with mine down to the bottom of the South Island (had to make sure they actually got there) and then left them to their own devices with some basic camping supplies, a hire car and a map to find their own way back to Auckland - the weather inevitably turned to custard and the buggers were back with me in double quick time.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

for a nice day out they could get the Red Boat from the city and go up to the riverhead for a nice lunch
Old Sep 8th 2014, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you again.

Definitely looking for something where they are not under their own steam .. or they would definitely only be gone a day or two! I'm putting together a list of suggested day trips they can do without me once they have their trip out of the way, with directions etc too!
Old Sep 9th 2014, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

nzneville is on a distinguished road

Try AAT Kings, who have a variety of coach tours covering both North Island and South Island. You could see them gone for two weeks or more.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Blade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond repute

Send them to Havelock to try the mussels. An experience to die for

Then stay at a place called Smiths Farm. The hosts there are lovely people. We were recommended to stay there by a lot of colleagues I work with, definitely can see why.

There's a walk at night that takes you up to see the glow worms. You definitely need a torch to see where your going.

Then a day in Picton and the sounds. Such a lovely seaside town. If it had the 2p arcade machine stalls, I'd have thought I was back at Clacton on Sea.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 9:23 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I know Smiths farm.

I've not seen a 2p arcade at Picton though. Where is it.