Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Suburbs & Transport Links

Suburbs & Transport Links

Old Dec 29th 2010, 7:56 am
Just Joined

Kari and Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Suburbs & Transport Links

We are moving to NZ in April and I am keen to get a heads up on the Auckland surburbs question.

Our main concern is transport links (preferably train or bus or ferry) and close proximity to the beach.

Would anyone be able to recommend a couple of areas which I could start researching?

My next questions will be around transport? What do people do about cars? Do you lease? Buy? What companies would people recommend?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kari
Old Dec 30th 2010, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

john and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant future
Arrow Re: Suburbs & Transport Links

looks like you were not overloaded with answers.......We arrive March 2011 in Hamilton. To buy 2nd hand is 30% more expensive then the uk.....you can get favourable deals on new imports from the east (mitsubushi / subaru
Old Dec 30th 2010, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suburbs & Transport Links

Originally Posted by Kari and Martin
We are moving to NZ in April and I am keen to get a heads up on the Auckland surburbs question.

Our main concern is transport links (preferably train or bus or ferry) and close proximity to the beach.

Would anyone be able to recommend a couple of areas which I could start researching?

My next questions will be around transport? What do people do about cars? Do you lease? Buy? What companies would people recommend?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kari
The train is limited here in Auckland and for the life of me I cannot think of any train station that is near a beach. Ferry well you have the choice of Waiheke, Northcote/Birkenhead, Devonport and these all come with a sizeable price tag. As for buses there are quite a few buses that come from the Northshore and the respective beaches. Go onto MAXX travel website for Auckland this will give you a much better idea as to frequency, cost and availability of buses. There are buses but sometimes to get from a) to b) it can take quite a few bus changes unless you are working directly in the CBD or at one of the hospitals.
Hopefully someone else will come along and give you some more advice re public transport.
Good luck
Old Dec 30th 2010, 4:12 am

Flower Pot is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Kari Not long to go now, you must be excited!

We live in Stanmore Bay, its about 40mins outside the city, depending upon traffic.

We bought a 2nd hand 4x4, list price was $12k, we got it for $8k so I would recommend always bartering and do the old 'walk away'

I work in Albany, if I have the car its 25 min drive, if not then I can get the bus from the bottom of my road, change buses in Silverdale and get there in about an hour. The 2nd bus is always waiting for the 1st which is handy!

They also have a park'n'ride for people travelling into the city from this side... its in Albany, huge carpark at the bus station then the buses take people in, they have their own lane so often much quicker than driving in... I'd say about 20ish mins to the city. They're also hoping to set another up in Silverdale which would be really useful for us so fingers crossed.

Trains, nope, not a developed system here at all which is a shame, not seen any or been on any so can't really advise other than to say they are very limited!

Got a few friends who live 10 mins up the road from us in Gulf Harbour, they have a ferry terminal that runs ferries over to the city regularly Mon-Fri for the city commuters, takes about an hour, has a little bar to buy drinks and snacks, very pleasurable way to travel to work so I hear (think Friday afternoon, wine/beer on the ferry deck, sun on your face!).

Hope that helps some anyway
Old Dec 30th 2010, 6:45 am
Just Joined

Kari and Martin is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks very much for your help. I am not sure if I am excited. I am still throughly nervous and anxious. Still so much to do.

We are planning to hire a holiday home or a bach....is this what people do? I was hoping to spend 2-3 weeks in a bach which will give me 2-3 weeks to get some longer term accommodation sorted out. Is this realistic?

What other methods do people decide where they wanted to live?

I have been looking for houses to rent and have been using www.realestate.co.nz, does anyone else have any suggestions for other sites?

Thanks again.

Kari
Old Dec 30th 2010, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kari,

You could also look at www.trademe.co.nz for property, both rentals and to buy. I believe you need an NZ address to actually register but you can have a browse without having to do that.

Last edited by chippy64; Dec 30th 2010 at 7:17 am. Reason: web address
Old Jan 4th 2011, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

yep we lived in a bach until our stuff arrived as it had everything we needed and we did not pay much more than rented accom tbh our stuff took 9 weeks we rented in CBD to start paid for by work then at Torbay in a bach
we did the same first time round too in Wellington! most bachs have washing machine etc