Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Stupid question about passports

Stupid question about passports

Old Mar 9th 2014, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

WhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Stupid question about passports

OK. Whist trying to sleep the other night a random thought came to me.

If I have a skilled migrant visa and bring my children with me, what do we do when our passports expire? Do we have to apply for new ones in the UK (which presumably would cost even more than usual given the abroadness), or through an embassy over there, or what?
Old Mar 9th 2014, 10:31 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stupid question about passports

you go to the local post shop with forms and photo's and they send them off. Yes it does cost more

If you have more than 2 yrs on them keep them as you will need to renew the visa once you have been here 2 yrs and meet all the other requirements to stay
Old Mar 9th 2014, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

WhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Old Mar 9th 2014, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

JerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to all

See here for the links I've just posted about renewals from NZ.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=828033
Old Mar 10th 2014, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

I renewed my UK passport just before I started the whole visa process as it only had 2 years left to go so I knew it would end up needing renewed from NZ and it was cheaper to renew it beforehand than have the hassle of doing it from here.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 4:58 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

I renewed my daughters last month. Went on the gov website in the UK and filled in the online form. Paid £110 which is cheaper than $320 here. Sent the passport away and had it back in 3 weeks. Really easy. All done from NZ.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

How did you do that pippa did you give a UK address
Old Mar 13th 2014, 3:11 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

On the direct gov website, you can select renew red passport from abroad

It's around 145 pound to renew online from New Zealand for the 32 page passport. About 160 for the 48 page passport.

The good thing is that the parcel is couriered and requires a signature. So you don't need to worry about your passport getting lost because the delivery team decided to chuck it on your driveway (if not in and mailbox won't take the letter) allowing any Tom, Dick or Harry to pick it up and take it.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 3:47 am
SLH
Forum Regular

SLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by janeyk
You no longer have to provide a UK address to apply for a passport while living in NZ. Passports are no longer processed in Wellington, they are sent directly to the UK by yourself. Use this government website and you fill the forms out online, print them, sign them and post to the UK. It costs £147.86 for an adult renewal and £101.36 for a child renewal. Hope this helps

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y
Old Mar 13th 2014, 6:52 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janeyk
No I didn't. It came here to NZ. It was one for a child so only cost £110 wih the courier charge included.

I had to pay for it to go to the UK though. It was a really easy process.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
I renewed my daughters last month. Went on the gov website in the UK and filled in the online form. Paid £110 which is cheaper than $320 here. Sent the passport away and had it back in 3 weeks. Really easy. All done from NZ.
I've just done this for my daughter as well and it was so easy.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by SLH
You no longer have to provide a UK address to apply for a passport while living in NZ. Passports are no longer processed in Wellington, they are sent directly to the UK by yourself. Use this government website and you fill the forms out online, print them, sign them and post to the UK. It costs £147.86 for an adult renewal and £101.36 for a child renewal. Hope this helps

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y
Then you have to go along to the local immigration office and get a new sticker put in if you have residency or any other permits. this will cost not sure how much though as the passport was only sent back last week.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

its $110 for sticker in passport
Old Mar 20th 2014, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Andrew_Famly is an unknown quantity at this point

If you can renew your passport when in NZ can you renew your UK driving licence when in NZ?
Old Mar 20th 2014, 9:18 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew_Famly
If you can renew your passport when in NZ can you renew your UK driving licence when in NZ?
I believe you have to be resident in the UK to renew it. I cannot open the relevant page to check though...

If you have been in NZ for a year then you need to convert to a NZ licence. The year does reset if you go abroad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.