Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Stuff that you cant bring into NZ

Stuff that you cant bring into NZ

Old Jul 7th 2008, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

Rock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant future
Default Stuff that you cant bring into NZ

Hi,
Although slightly pre-emptive, we are starting to get our stuff together ready for packing into the container and have been reading through the various do's & dont's from bio-Security.

What are your collective experiences of what actually happens when the container is opened in NZ? Does a customs bod go through each box with a fine toothed comb or is it random? What did you do with the stuff that was on the risk list such as cane/bamboo/carved wood sculptures (if any) and may need treatment? Did you place it all at the front of the container to give easy access or was it just packed as normal? Does the at risk stuff have to be noted somewhere on the manifest?

Also did any of you bring in food products and if so what was the drill?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 12:38 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stuff that you cant bring into NZ

We weren't allowed to bring food, drink, spices, seeds, dried flowers, wicker, wooden spoons (untreated wood!), candles (beeswax) BUT some of that was on packers advice and others on BE have said that they've managed to bring all of that through!! I just went on the advice at the time as I didn't want to have our container denied entry altogether.

Alcohol - others have said is ok provided it is full and unopened.

We brought in Christmas decorations - removed fir cones, dried flowers, seed heads (like poppies) and makes sure all is clean, cobweb free.

DIY tools, garden tools, bikes, camping gear, hiking boots, skateboards, golf clubs etc - thoroughly wash off all dirt, mud, dust, rust etc, clean in Jeyes fluid or Dettol and dry. Tool boxes should receive same treatment.

We did our insurance via Letton Percival. Fill out separate paperwork and give a price against each item for replacement value in NZ $ - hard if you've not been here - we basically worked out the worth of each item and converted using exchange rate. In fact we were probably over insured but I'd rather that just in case. Others have said they didn't insure at all.

When your container is packed, each carton, box, item will get a number and the packers will list a brief content description against that number on the paperwork. Your container, once packed, will be secured with a security lock/tag which will be numbered. This should still be in place when your container gets delivered to you, although sometimes this is removed at the port just before delivery.

We took photographs of the contents before the container doors were closed and of the customs security tag number - just in case anything untoward happened!

Your removal company will forward paperwork to their agent in NZ. Crown have their own offices here. Other UK companies will use other companies here who are used to delivering and unloading containers like NZ Van Lines.

The agent this end should process the paperwork - like get Customs clearance etc. MAF will have a copy of your packing list so the agent here may contact you to say that MAF want to inspect boxes, 5, 11, 21, 22 for example. You will be told how much to pay MAF - sometimes you pay via the agent, some pay MAF direct.

Delivery of your container to your home will be arranged with you. It can be opened and unloaded and the cartons MAF are interested in can be set aside UNOPENED say in the garage. We were handed the packing lists 1-196 with the box descriptions. We laid these out on a worktop in the garage and as each box/item was unloaded the guys shouted out the box number and I crossed it off the list - so that we could make sure all boxes had been received.

MAF, one or two officers, may turn up at the same time or within a hour of the container delivery. They open the boxes and inspect the items. You are present. In our experience, MAF looked at 55 boxes. They were really friendly and helpful and all was ok. Basically if they can see you've cleaned things and there are no seeds, spider eggs, mud or dirt, all should be ok.

The delivery guys will also help put your furniture/items in the rooms you specify and will help unpack the large items and remove the packing material.

Once you've emptied your boxes etc - could be weeks later! - you just ring the company and they'll come and collect the empty boxes and packing material.

This was our experience. I don't know if this is typical to all people who emigrate.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 12:44 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Just a note about wood carvings/ornaments: at the time of our inspection (June/July 2007) MAF were interested to know if any of our wood was from Africa - they didn't say why or whether it would be a problem if it was. I just said no, not as far as I was aware. I guess they will check for signs of bettle/worm infestation that kind of thing on antique items but to be honest am not too sure.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

Rock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
Just a note about wood carvings/ornaments: at the time of our inspection (June/July 2007) MAF were interested to know if any of our wood was from Africa - they didn't say why or whether it would be a problem if it was. I just said no, not as far as I was aware. I guess they will check for signs of bettle/worm infestation that kind of thing on antique items but to be honest am not too sure.
Thanks for the very detailed information - most illuminating. Shame my movers aren't being that helpful!