IT Stuff,

Old Feb 27th 2009, 11:39 pm
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute
Default IT Stuff,

Hi,
I should arrive in Auckland late March/early April and am thinking of buying a new laptop (Sony VAIO or Apple Macbook).
Do you think I should buy in the UK or wait and buy in NZ?? Am thinking about the difference in electrical plugs n voltage... And maybe cost?
Thanks,
Old Feb 28th 2009, 6:28 pm
AKT
Forum Regular

AKT will become famous soon enough
Default Re: IT Stuff,

Originally Posted by Matewx
Hi,
I should arrive in Auckland late March/early April and am thinking of buying a new laptop (Sony VAIO or Apple Macbook).
Do you think I should buy in the UK or wait and buy in NZ?? Am thinking about the difference in electrical plugs n voltage... And maybe cost?
Thanks,
It stuff is generally cheaper and there's more choice in the I'm but it does depend on exchange rates (which are good for £>$ at the mo). If you buy in the Uk then you can claim the vat back from some stores too. Macs are the same the world over Sony are not but you won't need to worry about voltage, only the plugs are different but that's an easy fix.

HTH

A
Old Feb 28th 2009, 8:24 pm
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

The main problem with buying in the UK, is that if you have a breakdown you may have trouble getting it fixed under warranty.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 9:12 pm
AKT
Forum Regular

AKT will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by NakiMan
The main problem with buying in the UK, is that if you have a breakdown you may have trouble getting it fixed under warranty.
Apple has a worldwide warranty so no wories there....but try to make sure you buy 14 days (or more) before you leave as their DOA policy is better in the UK than NZ. Sony AFAIK is not so good (their models here aren't as good as the UK ones either).

www.toshbuy.com are the cheapest here for Mac stuff if you want to compare prices. Oh and 'Apple Retail Stores' don't exist here, you have to go with the local approved indy, I can recommend which to avoid in Welly.

HTH

A
Old Mar 1st 2009, 1:50 am
Citizenships collector...

urbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by AKT
Apple has a worldwide warranty so no wories there....but try to make sure you buy 14 days (or more) before you leave as their DOA policy is better in the UK than NZ. Sony AFAIK is not so good (their models here aren't as good as the UK ones either).

Definitely. I got offered an Ipod Touch for my birthday a couple of years ago and it was bought in the UK. The navigation button started playing up a few months later when it was still under warranty so I couldn't surf the net or listen to music, so I took it to Magnum Mac in Auckland and they got me a new one

Jen