Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Study link stand down period

Study link stand down period

Old May 23rd 2015, 7:47 pm
NZ resident since 2003

Stgeorge6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Study link stand down period

Hi, can't see from everything I have read if the 3 year stand down period to apply for a student loan applies to returning NZ permanent residents. Our son is currently about to start his A levels in the UK where we are currently working, he has had NZ permanent residency since 2003 and lived there for 5 years.
When he finishes his A levels work brings us back to NZ and he is hoping to go to Uni there, but if he can't get his student loan he will go to Uni in the UK like his siblings have done.
Hope this makes sense.

Cheers

Kevin
Old May 23rd 2015, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Study link stand down period

To be eligible for a Student Allowance or Student Loan for study that starts on or after 1 January 2014, students who are not NZ citizens, refugees or protected persons must:
•be ordinarily resident in New Zealand; and
•have resided in New Zealand for three years; and
•have held the right to reside in New Zealand indefinitely for three years.

This stand-down period was previously two years.

Taken from Budget 2013 Changes to residency requirements for Student Allowance and Loan
Old May 24th 2015, 5:03 am
NZ resident since 2003

Hi, thanks for reply, I have read that report but it still does not make it clear if the 3 year stand down period is just prior to the application, ie my son has already been a resident for 13 years, 5 of which he spent in NZ.
I have emailed study link so hopefully will get some clarity and post the answer.
I used to live in Woodleigh Paraparaumu and Luke went to Kenakena school and others to Pram College. So know your area very well.
We are going back to Bethlehem, Tauranga,

Cheers

Kevin
Old May 25th 2015, 7:22 am
NZ resident since 2003

Right had confirmation from Studylink just in case anyone else has same issue, the 3 year stand down is for new residents, if you are a returning resident and NZ is your home and in the case of my son for example the only reason you are abroad is due to your parents work, then you are entitled to the student loan.

Cheers

Kevin
Old May 25th 2015, 11:26 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for reporting back on that, very helpful

What is worth knowing in advance though is that should your son commence studies here as a distance student and later decide to go overseas, if he hasn't become a citizen he will be charged international fees to continue. For most people this won't be an issue - most students do not study via distance education and most do not move overseas part way through their studies - but it's worth knowing about from the outset

Good luck with your plans to move back to NZ, and welcome to the forum