British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Study Costs for Migrants Help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/study-costs-migrants-help-786858/)

billnoted Feb 10th 2013 12:24 am

Study Costs for Migrants Help

Hi,

I am currently working as a hammer hand in chch, I have been here for over a year on the working holiday visa and my boss has offered me an apprenticeship. I phoned up immigration and they said to go for the specific purpose visa which seems pretty straight forward.

Although something has got me thinking recently. Will studying abroad cost me much more $ than it would a Kiwi? I'm from Scotland and my education is free. So I am wondering if anyone can give me some insight to maybe how much studying over here costs for a migrant? And whether or not it would be better to go home and study for free in a skill which would help me get a work visa after I get my qualification. Maybe something that would keep me in with the chch rebuild.

Thanks

jmh Feb 10th 2013 2:25 am

Re: Study Costs for Migrants Help

Originally Posted by billnoted (Post 10535085)
Hi,

I am currently working as a hammer hand in chch, I have been here for over a year on the working holiday visa and my boss has offered me an apprenticeship. I phoned up immigration and they said to go for the specific purpose visa which seems pretty straight forward.

Although something has got me thinking recently. Will studying abroad cost me much more $ than it would a Kiwi? I'm from Scotland and my education is free. So I am wondering if anyone can give me some insight to maybe how much studying over here costs for a migrant? And whether or not it would be better to go home and study for free in a skill which would help me get a work visa after I get my qualification. Maybe something that would keep me in with the chch rebuild.

Thanks

I can't answer your question, but you need to check whether the courses in Scotland and NZ have a residency requirement. I have heard that you can be a UK citizen but if you have not been in living in the country for a certain period of time you may not qualify as a local (i.e. funded) student. All I'm saying is don't assume it is free in Scotland if you haven't lived there for a while. Better check with a course provider in each country.

Gill and Rob Feb 10th 2013 4:17 am

You more than likely will be classed as an international student. Fees are about 3 times the domestic charge.

Hope this helps
Gill

BEVS Feb 10th 2013 4:49 am

Originally Posted by billnoted (Post 10535085)
Hi,

Uumm. From what I can read HERE, a specific purpose visa doesn't cover what you are hoping to do.

billnoted Feb 10th 2013 7:10 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 10535298)
Uumm. From what I can read HERE, a specific purpose visa doesn't cover what you are hoping to do.

Hmm that is strange because it was the call operator off immigration that told me to go for that. I will investigate further!

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob (Post 10535280)
You more than likely will be classed as an international student. Fees are about 3 times the domestic charge.

Hope this helps
Gill

Wow. Thanks. Maybe worth going home... Hmm

MrsFychan Feb 10th 2013 8:28 am

if they are offering you an apprenticeship won't they foot the bill.?

marblep Feb 10th 2013 9:48 am

Hiya. That is a tricky one. They won't pay your apprenticeship because you're not an NZ resident. As a previous poster said - yes it will be very expensive as you're an international student. My suggestion would be the free education at home, because ChCh will be needing rebuilding for years to come, so you can always come back.

Or, tell your employer all of that, and see what he can offer in terms of financial assistance for your apprenticeship?

All the best.

BEVS Feb 10th 2013 7:36 pm

Another thought I had this morning whilst mulling this thread around in my head was the NZ labour market test.

Is the NZ employer even free to offer billnoted an apprenticeship?

As work and training would be involved , surely the NZIS and Dept of Labour " labour market test" would come into play.

This means that the employer would have to prove that he had advertised this position out and that he was unable to find any lad/ladess who was already an NZ resident or citizen that could take up this opportunity. Just like anywhere, apprenticeships can be hard to find.

No Mrs F. The trade employers don't pay for the training . They also don't have to pay much by way of wage either.

What trade are we looking at here?

BEVS Feb 10th 2013 7:51 pm

and , I am wondering about student visas. with changes and variations to conditions of visa.

Length of course.

Originally Posted by NZIS
However, we may allow you to study part time on a student visa if you are:
  • coming to New Zealand to study for at least three years and the course requires you to gain practical work experience as part of your study

Sticking point though would be the fees.

Open Poly NZ states this

We can accept international students who are in New Zealand on a valid work permit studying part-time and enrolling in a qualification authorised by their employer as part of their job. If the study is not work related a variation of conditions is required. We do not accept international students on a visitor visa or student visa. If you are an international student living in New Zealand, you must provide verified evidence of your right to study in New Zealand with your application for enrolment.

International students pay international fees.
Which indicates it would be a work permit with a variation on conditions, not a student visa.

In any case international student fees would apply & there is still the matter of whether the opportunity has beene made available to a home grown.

billnoted Feb 11th 2013 4:14 am

Hey the apprenticeship is carpentry so it is perfect for the rebuild. I'm really into it as well. I love it.

Yeah I see now how a specific purpose visa won't work and it'll be have to be a work visa I suppose, which means he'll have to prove about choosing me over a home grown. I suppose my personality is out of the question.

Does anyone know a good way for my boss to prove this? I suppose he could show he paid for a job advert on a specific website? Although I doubt it will be enough?

BEVS Feb 11th 2013 9:05 pm

Yes. He needs to show he has advertised around the place over a period of time. He has to show that you are the only one that fits the bill.

Also, NZ immigration and the Dept of Labour will perform their own test on this.

Carpentry is a good trade to be in here. Had you previous experience in this trade at all?

How would you fund the international fees?

billnoted Feb 12th 2013 6:52 am

Hey thanks for the info. I will pass it on to my boss. Working holiday don't end till October loads of time. But I'm still pondering as what to do. Certain things are in my mind.

Yeah it is good. It just depends on the cost of it. I don't know how I will fund. Maybe help from my boss. But I'd get no help like I would back home. I have never done anything like this before, so it has been new to me over the last 1 or so. I originally started in demo.

TeamEmbo Feb 12th 2013 9:13 am

Regards returning to Scotland to study: General residence conditions
To be eligible to apply for support you must meet our residence conditions as set out in The Students' Allowances (Scotland) Regulations 2007 (as amended) and be studying a course of higher education at HNC or equivalent level or above. To qualify for a student loan, you must meet the conditions set out in the Education (Scotland) Act 1980 and the Regulations thereunder. For more information on courses that we do and do not assist, please see our course eligibility section.

To meet the general residence conditions, you must have been ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for the three years immediately before the first day of the first academic year of the course (the relevant date). For the majority of students who start their course in the autumn term, the relevant date is 1 August.

If you are not a UK or other EU national, you must also have ' settled status' in the UK (as set out in the Immigration Act 1971) on the relevant date. To find out about getting settled status, you can visit the Home Office website or phone their helpline on 0870 6067766 . If you have not been living in the UK, you may still qualify depending on your circumstances.

You must also be ordinarily resident in Scotland on the relevant date, unless you are an English, Northern Irish or Welsh domiciled student taking a degree course in one of the Allied Health Professions. In this case, you must be ordinarily resident in your home country at the time you apply for your first years support.

Ordinarily resident has been defined in the courts as 'habitual and normal residence in one place'. It basically means that you, your parents or your husband, wife or civil partner live in a country year after year by choice throughout a set period, apart from temporary or occasional absences such as holidays or business trips. Living here totally or mainly for the purpose of receiving full-time education does not count as being ordinarily resident.

We will not treat you as being ordinarily resident in Scotland if your main purpose in coming here has been to receive full-time education and that you would have otherwise been living elsewhere.

from http://www.saas.gov.uk/student_suppo...conditions.htm

Foxesecho Feb 15th 2013 8:43 pm

It might be a little different for those who come from Scotland and who want to study in Scotland. A friend of ours who has lived here for 7 years, her daughter went back to Scotland in December and has been given a place at uni for next September.