Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Student nurse hoping to live in NZ

Student nurse hoping to live in NZ

Old May 11th 2010, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Trish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really nice
Smile Student nurse hoping to live in NZ

Hello,
I'm due to qualify this August and will hopefully get a job soon after. My brother and his family live in North Shore so I want to move over there when I have enough nursing experience.
I've visited NZ twice and have fallen in love with it. I love the weather, the people and the improved quality of life.
I need loads of advice on moving, what order to do things eg immigration, applying for nursing registration & jobs, how to get my 10 year old daughter in a school etc

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated x
Old May 12th 2010, 8:01 am
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Student nurse hoping to live in NZ

Originally Posted by Trish M
Hello,
I'm due to qualify this August and will hopefully get a job soon after. My brother and his family live in North Shore so I want to move over there when I have enough nursing experience.
I've visited NZ twice and have fallen in love with it. I love the weather, the people and the improved quality of life.
I need loads of advice on moving, what order to do things eg immigration, applying for nursing registration & jobs, how to get my 10 year old daughter in a school etc

Hi & welcome good luck with all your plans

There are a few nurses around so maybe post specific questions in the immigration forum to get their attention.

Welcome to the site anyway

Dewb
Old May 13th 2010, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

zaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to behold

Maybe you should change your ID to "Zaras Aunty" and you'll be instantly......................................... ....

...infamous
Old May 13th 2010, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

Trish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really nice

Ha ha. I knew you'd find me on here, Zara's Dad.

Just to be clear, Zara's Dad is my brother!
Old May 13th 2010, 11:53 am
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha. I knew you'd find me on here, Zara's Dad.

Just to be clear, Zara's Dad is my brother!
OK... welcome Zara's Aunty good luck with the rest of your course and your plans to come to NZ.

I remember, during my training(too many years ago to mention) a tutor telling me that a nursing qualification was a worldwide passport.......I left it a bit late to take advantage of his wise words but you go for it!!! make use of your skills and use that hard earned qualification to experience life in NZ!

All the best
B x
Old May 15th 2010, 8:26 pm
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

Hello,

Hello there
my Wife was a new grad Nurse and secured a job from the UK when she was still a student Nurse
We came out here last September just after she qualified
It can be done
Old May 15th 2010, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Trish,
I was also a New Grad Nurse and secured a job from the UK.
We came out last August. I am currently nearing the end of the New Grad Programme over here and have a permanent job.
Old May 15th 2010, 10:49 pm
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by RobDon
Hi Trish,
I was also a New Grad Nurse and secured a job from the UK.
We came out last August. I am currently nearing the end of the New Grad Programme over here and have a permanent job.

you did well to get on the New Grad programme
My OH didn't get the New Grad Programme and had to start
on a Acute Mental Health ward straight after her training
it was tough for her but she is getting through it and settling OK now
Old May 15th 2010, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bdclayton
you did well to get on the New Grad programme
My OH didn't get the New Grad Programme and had to start
on a Acute Mental Health ward straight after her training
it was tough for her but she is getting through it and settling OK now
The New Grad Programme has been a really good way to make the transition from student to "qualified nurse"
It was tough at the beginning but experience brings confidence!! Well It has worked for me!!
Old May 20th 2010, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome Trish! I too am a nurse (psych) and am looking forward to emmigrating and working in NZ too! hope it all goes well for you! and if you need anything - just ask on here- loads of good people with a wealth of knowledge and advice!

Berni
Old May 21st 2010, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

witty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nice

If there is one piece of advice I will give, its that you should register with NZNC first and foremost, the longest part of it for me (and the part that very nearly made me not get to NZ) was the registration. You have to do an IELTS test which can have a long waiting list (depending on where you are in the UK).

Just my 2 penneth.

Good Luck!!
Old May 22nd 2010, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Witty,

As soon as I get my PIN here, I'll apply for registration with the Nursing Council.

I think it might take me a bit longer to get over to NZ as the job situation is bleak over here. There's absolutely no jobs for newly qualifieds at the mo........
Old Jun 16th 2010, 10:51 am
Just Joined

bubblelou is just really nicebubblelou is just really nicebubblelou is just really nicebubblelou is just really nicebubblelou is just really nicebubblelou is just really nicebubblelou is just really nicebubblelou is just really nicebubblelou is just really nicebubblelou is just really nice

It might pay to get some experience before coming here. My OH is in the same industry and have found a job pretty quick as someone with prior experience. Completely different story for me though (not in the medical field). Nursing jobs are available but you might have to work for a smaller district health board first...
Old Jun 16th 2010, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

Shazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really nice

Originally Posted by 127luton
Welcome Trish! I too am a nurse (psych) and am looking forward to emmigrating and working in NZ too! hope it all goes well for you! and if you need anything - just ask on here- loads of good people with a wealth of knowledge and advice!

Berni
I love this discussion, I'm too a student nurse (Psych) and qualify in sept! my boyfriend and I are heading to wellington 28th dec!! I'll be gettin my pin then registering with NZNC asap. gonna have a cpl of months off then hopfully get a job, only going on working holiday visa but am looking to get work to residency if i find i good job!! xx
Old Jun 16th 2010, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

BevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to all

Hi, I'm hoping to emigrate this year to NZ via the partnership catergory. My partner is Kiwi and both our children have NZ passports. I'm also a qualified nurse, almost two years post qualification and as I'll be hoping to work in NZ, I was wondering what the IELTs test involves and whether it would be easier to do it before I go or when I get there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.