Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Stuck up Daily Mail journo puts the boot into Wellington

Stuck up Daily Mail journo puts the boot into Wellington

Old May 29th 2010, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

turkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Stuck up Daily Mail journo puts the boot into Wellington

I wouldn't give any credence to a jaded lummox of a Mail journo, whatever viewpoint he was peddling. On principle.
Old May 29th 2010, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dytopia
And then has the affrontery to say that London is a good city.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/ar...ellington.html

The offending comments which the journo writes about were made in the sunday times, way back in 2003....Old news I reckon, must be a slow news' day at the Mail!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle1143207.ece

Just another case of the colonialists bashing the locals...
I couldnt argue with anything he said, cos he's spot on
Old May 29th 2010, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

Gizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by elfman
so you've never actually visited the National Gallery or the National Portrait Gallery? No unmade beds or blu-tack in either of those.
Yes I have, but it was years ago and I can't remember much about the visits. I seem to recall that the Tate Modern has the blue-tac and unmade bed and so on, in them.

I like the National Histroy Museum & Imperial War Museum though. Do you think they would miss one of those 15" guns outside the Imperial? I can think of a few uses for them.....
Old May 31st 2010, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Browner_
Article stinks of little Englander bashing all those upstart foreign places that dared to somehow be voted ahead of his precious Old Lahhhhndan Town, centre of his little universe. How small minded and how Daily Mail can you get!

And to spend a good chunk of an article moaning about Chinese food his GUIDEBOOK, not anyone in Wellington suggested, and blaming it somehow on the locals is taking liberties.

Perhaps it was just him the locals here took umbrage with and not the rest of the English? Especially as he seems to have had the same effect on the Swiss and god knows who else around the world...

Last edited by irnbru14; May 31st 2010 at 11:00 am.
Old May 31st 2010, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru14
Article stinks of little Englander bashing all those upstart foreign places that dared to somehow be voted ahead of his precious Old Lahhhhndan Town, centre of his little universe. How small minded and how Daily Mail can you get!

And to spend a good chunk of an article moaning about Chinese food his GUIDEBOOK, not anyone in Wellington suggested, and blaming it somehow on the locals is taking liberties.

Perhaps it was just him the locals here took umbrage with and not the rest of the English? Especially as he seems to have had the same effect on the Swiss and god knows who else around the world...
well said mr bru
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 5:11 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think that's a Samuel Johnson quote.
Sally.....they missed your joke!

Dr Johnson actually said.....

Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

I agree with the article regading lots to do in London that isn't expensive. We used to spend days walking round the parks, and along the Thames, window shopping (well I did...my wife and eldest did Oxford Street and the littlies did Hamleys!). Food is expensive but we used to grab a sandwidch at any number of places and eat them in the park.

The British Museum is for me one of the finest buidlings and muesums in the world ...and it's free (well it should be 'cause the exhibits cost us nothing...we nicked them from around the world!)....I also love the Tate Modern which again is free.

.......but getting to London was expensive even from the Thames Valley.

On the otherhand Wellington is imho also full of great stuff to do cheaply or for free. It's done on a much smaller scale, but no less enjoyable for that.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

JasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Browner_
I have to admit he isn't far off the mark!
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 2:25 pm
Banned

danjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nice

He is spot on, who in their right mind would travel the other side of the world to live in a wet, dull and windy place like wellington!
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

Droidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud of

London's ok for a while 'in your yoof',6-10 years maybe tops. Then it becomes like a raging case of Haemorrhoids.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trish M
I've been to London a few times and it's the most unfriendly place I've ever been to, awful.
Some people are friendly there, usually after a few pints!
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 11:24 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perry Groves
Some people are friendly there, usually after a few pints!
...."people in London are unfriendly"......ummm all of them ???? There are 6 million or so plus half the 18-30 year old population of assorted countires like Australia and New Zealand....

Anyway I would be unfriendly faced with masses of tourists with stereotypical expectations....hang on this becomes circular I guess!

How about 'Do unto others......"
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 11:35 pm
Cow on the Beach

Originally Posted by Droidling
London's ok for a while 'in your yoof',6-10 years maybe tops. Then it becomes like a raging case of Haemorrhoids.
you can put up with haemorrhoids for 6 years????

Oh hang on you come from Chester....I see your point now (Only kidding but then again you are responsible for Hollyoaks!!!)
Old Jun 4th 2010, 2:40 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Stuck up Daily Mail journo puts the boot into Wellington

Originally Posted by Thydney
Now there's the triumph of hope over experience
Fine then, just as crap but not as bankrupt.

Anyway I thought mail readers would be more BNP/KKK/UKIP supporters .
Old Jun 8th 2010, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danjones1
He is spot on, who in their right mind would travel the other side of the world to live in a wet, dull and windy place like wellington!
Obviously not little Englander Daily Mail readers thank the lord