Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

stuck forever? - WTR visa and residency .

stuck forever? - WTR visa and residency .

Old Mar 4th 2014, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

jacquena123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default stuck forever? - WTR visa and residency .

hi this might be a silly question but are we stuck in nz forever now? because i have just read some posts that say they are stuck here now? and also someone told us we cant leave the country without another returning visa even tho we have a WTR visa is this true? also we have been here 3 months when can we file for residency? and does anyone know how much that will cost us 2 adults and 2 children aged 5 and 7? thankyou lol
Old Mar 4th 2014, 8:02 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: stuck forever??????

Lol.

People become 'stuck' in a country they reside in for all manner of reasons. They may emigrate and then wish to leave but their other half or kids don't want to.
It may be financially not doable. It may be age.

I am going to tweak your thread ( topic) title so it better reflects your query ref your visa. That will alert those in the visa know .
Old Mar 4th 2014, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: stuck forever? - WTR visa and residency .

It used to be that if you wanted to go overseas and return to NZ on a residency-type permit that you required a "Returning Resident Visa" alongside your visa/permit that you were granted when you entered the country. I'm not up to speed on current legislation as we are Citizens now.

When expats comment on 'being stuck here', I think it generally means that they
a) have a desire to go back to the country that they moved from (and leave NZ), and
b) now lack the funds to be able to do so - so, don't have the money to pay for flights and all moving costs away from NZ.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 8:15 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by jacquena123
hi this might be a silly question but are we stuck in nz forever now? because i have just read some posts that say they are stuck here now? and also someone told us we cant leave the country without another returning visa even tho we have a WTR visa is this true? also we have been here 3 months when can we file for residency? and does anyone know how much that will cost us 2 adults and 2 children aged 5 and 7? thankyou lol
Well uinless legislation has changed, i've gone to Sri Lanka, Australia, Singapore and the Phillippines and have managed to return to NZ without any issues. I have a WTR visa

As for WTR application - it depends. If you meet the criteria to apply for a skilled migrant visa whilst you are on the WTR visa, then you can apply for residency under that visa once you meet the skills required. There's no time limit. It's about $1,895.00 to apply for an SM visa.

If you want to wait (like I did because of costs etc), then you have to wait for 2 years until you apply for residency. Just to give you a word of warning, I sent my application in late November and have still not heard anything. The less I say about the Business Migration Branch the better

Cost would be $810. Only one fee is required as the main applicant will include you and the other 2 children. You'll just have to pay a migrant fee upon acceptance which is about $380 for adults and $160 for kids

From my experience, I'd say apply for a skilled migrant once you meet the criteria. It saves going through hell waiting for INZ to get of their arses and view your aplication
Old Mar 4th 2014, 8:31 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

As per Tom1983 quality post....and he should know . He's on a WTR.

Work to Residence visa is a form of temporary work visa. Normally 2 years in length, after which time you can apply for NZ residency.

With a WTR visa you are all automatically issued with what is called a "multiple entry condition" . This means you can leave and re-enter NZ without any issue. In other words, you are not tied to staying in NZ for 2 years without once setting foot outside the place.

Once you have completed the 2 year requirement under the WTR visa, you would then apply to become NZ residents.

As Tom1983 says. Depending on the occupation & the salary, you may be able to apply for NZ residency earlier than 2 years if you are eligible under what is called the Skilled Migrant Category. It is a points based system.

If you would like to read more about the SMC , just post and we'll further do your head in.

As Tom1983 points out, it takes longer but is cheaper to apply for residency under the WTR category.

His experience is that the processing times take it to the wire and so it is a knuckle ride it seems. Hopefully the immigration service blummin' well thinks on and does the right thing by both Tom and Tom's employer by getting a move on and so lessening stress which is not needed.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

I fear I'm stuck here in NZ forever. Only cos I loves' it
Old Mar 5th 2014, 3:38 am
Just Joined

jacquena123 is an unknown quantity at this point

thankyou so much everyone really helpfull :-)
Old Mar 7th 2014, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Be aware that once you have residency, it then takes another 2 years to get permie residency (as in the ability to come and go indefinitely).
Old Mar 8th 2014, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

kingacat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by davros1984
Be aware that once you have residency, it then takes another 2 years to get permie residency (as in the ability to come and go indefinitely).
We have just been granted residency and from WTR (This took just over 2 months to be granted after sending paperwork to Hamilton) and the letter says we have to wait 2 years to be permanent residents. We need to go back to the UK in June for a wedding do we need paperwork to come back into NZ? Also what happens after 2 years do we need to apply again? I am confused!
Oh and then do we have to wait further 5 years for citizenship?
Thanks for any help.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 4:51 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi - yes, a lot of people don't realise that there are 2 types of residence - "temporary" which is for the first 2 years, then once you've done that you are entitled to indefinite if you meet the criteria (not too difficult).

To answer your questions:
On the residency you have, you can travel back for the wedding yes. You can come and go as you like, however your resident visa will have an expiry date. You will have a blue sticker in your passport.
If you don't have your permie residence and that date has expired, do not leave NZ!

Towards the end of your "next" 2 years, you can then apply for permie residency and you'll get the permie/long-term residency. With this, you can then come and go as you please. There is a small fee, I think its around the $200 dollar mark.

I am not sure on the citizen thing. I think thats 5 years after being granted residency. So that would be 3? years after you have your permie residency.

Hope that helps.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

kingacat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by davros1984
Hi - yes, a lot of people don't realise that there are 2 types of residence - "temporary" which is for the first 2 years, then once you've done that you are entitled to indefinite if you meet the criteria (not too difficult).

To answer your questions:
On the residency you have, you can travel back for the wedding yes. You can come and go as you like, however your resident visa will have an expiry date. You will have a blue sticker in your passport.
If you don't have your permie residence and that date has expired, do not leave NZ!

Towards the end of your "next" 2 years, you can then apply for permie residency and you'll get the permie/long-term residency. With this, you can then come and go as you please. There is a small fee, I think its around the $200 dollar mark.

I am not sure on the citizen thing. I think thats 5 years after being granted residency. So that would be 3? years after you have your permie residency.

Hope that helps.
Thank you for your invaluable help, you are a star!