Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Stuck between a few options

Stuck between a few options

Old Jun 16th 2009, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

robc1985 will become famous soon enough
Default Stuck between a few options

I've spoke a fair bit before about me and my girlfriend wanting to move to NZ next year hopefully. As a Civil Engineering Technician there are no problems with my points situation as i'm un LTSSL.

The thing is though that we have never been before. In an ideal world we would go on hol for a few week to check things out. (houses, jobs etc etc) Like many people though I don't have money to throw away. So I am left with 2 options really. First being saying sod it, sell the car, get our savings and emmigrate. My secnd option is a working Visa. We could go get work and then apply when we're there. At least that way we aren't diving in completely.

I'm really unsure though. Surely it is easier for me to get a job if I emmigrate. If they think i'm only there for a year or so then it must be harder to get job offers.

advice please

Thanks

Rob
Old Jun 17th 2009, 3:51 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Stuck between a few options

I'm going to move your thread into the main forum as it seems to me it is more about job prospects really than about visas, although which visa comes into it.

More people look into the main forum and who kno0ws, there may be one that can give you some thoughts about the job situation for your occupation.

With the work visa thing, I am sure you know it is a job offer first and then you apply for the work visa.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

Wellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to all

In this situation I always think it's best to try before you buy.

NZ is not for everybody, and plenty of Brits are unable to leave the UK totally behind.

There are disadvantages to life in NZ and some things, like housing, can get on you t*ts.

However, I arrived first some 13 years ago on a visitors permit (6 months) and I got a job, stayed for a year, and was back with my wife a year later for another stint.

Now we're here for the long term with children, after agonising and cogitating for many years.

How about planning a 6 month career break in the first instance. Rent the house out, sell the car, come over here as backpackers and try it out.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Wellington Will
In this situation I always think it's best to try before you buy.

NZ is not for everybody, and plenty of Brits are unable to leave the UK totally behind.

There are disadvantages to life in NZ and some things, like housing, can get on you t*ts.

However, I arrived first some 13 years ago on a visitors permit (6 months) and I got a job, stayed for a year, and was back with my wife a year later for another stint.

Now we're here for the long term with children, after agonising and cogitating for many years.

How about planning a 6 month career break in the first instance. Rent the house out, sell the car, come over here as backpackers and try it out.
I would say you need to see if you like NZ. We came out originally on a holiday work visa for 12 months and did the whole backpaer thing. We then came home and realised we wanted to move out to NZ permanently - its taken us 6 years to pluck up the courage to apply. Its such a huge move that I dont think I could do it without visiting first, but many people do it and absoulty love it. Its what ever you feel most comfortable with. I know this doesn't answer your question but go with your gut feeling!

Kindest regards

Jx