Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

struggling to find rented accomadation

struggling to find rented accomadation

Old May 26th 2005, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

lizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud of
Default struggling to find rented accomadation

I am struggling to find rented accomadation in or around Whakatane that will allow a dog. We will be there at the end of June. Can anyone help? Are there any motels in the area that allow dogs? Someone please help!
Old May 26th 2005, 7:48 am

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: struggling to find rented accomadation

HI there

Have you tried www.holidayhomes.co.nz.

If you are still in the Uk you may find it hard to get a rental from this side. OUr experience was they want to vet you personally first. One of the Real Estate guys told me that its not the dog that landlords are against but some owners.

We left our dog behind with my mum for a few weeks until we got a rental sorted. Might be an option. If not I can get the hold of a good kennels in Whakatane for you (friend uses them).

Anything else just ask.
Old May 26th 2005, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

lizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by scottish
HI there

Have you tried www.holidayhomes.co.nz.

If you are still in the Uk you may find it hard to get a rental from this side. OUr experience was they want to vet you personally first. One of the Real Estate guys told me that its not the dog that landlords are against but some owners.

We left our dog behind with my mum for a few weeks until we got a rental sorted. Might be an option. If not I can get the hold of a good kennels in Whakatane for you (friend uses them).

Anything else just ask.
Thanks scottish, cant leave the dog here. His flight is already booked. If you could get the details of the kennels in Whakatane,that would be a great help.
Thanks

Last edited by lizard; May 26th 2005 at 7:57 am. Reason: bad spelling
Old May 26th 2005, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

Just checked holidayhomes.co.nz. Only one allows dogs, but it is expensive.
Old May 26th 2005, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

What do you think about advertising in the BOP times? Would that help?
Old May 26th 2005, 8:34 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizard
What do you think about advertising in the BOP times? Would that help?
It's also worth negotiating with the owner of a rental property and perhaps suggesting a dog bond - ie a sum of money you give them up front to cover any additional cleaning costs.
Just a thought.

Last edited by Biddy; May 26th 2005 at 9:15 am.
Old May 26th 2005, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Biddy
It's also worth negotiating with the owner of a rental property and perhaps suggesting a dog bond - ie a sum of money you give them up front to cover anty additional cleaning costs.
Just a thought.
Thanks Biddy good idea
Old May 26th 2005, 12:14 pm

We never had any probs getting a house with our dog. Like previous poster said have it inc in the tenancy agreement that all carpets etc will be cleaned and pay an extra weeks bond. The most they can charge is 4 weeks bond and make sure you go for a periodic tenancy and not a fixed term.

Will email my friend in Papamoa re kennels and get back to you soon.

Meant to ask would you consider renting elsewhere??? only for a short period and travel. Loads of rentals in papamoa try www.eves.co.nz. Alot will say no dogs but some come and go so dont be put off with no dogs policy. I know of a few people who adverise on ***** in that area who will possibly take a dog. PM if you want some info.
Old May 26th 2005, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks scottish, as much info as possible please. Did the property you rented allow your dog in the house? Most properties I find, if they do allow dogs, say outside dogs only. My dog is not an outside dog, not on his own anyway. He would be horrified if we justed booted him outside and left him there.
Old May 26th 2005, 5:17 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizard
Thanks scottish, as much info as possible please. Did the property you rented allow your dog in the house? Most properties I find, if they do allow dogs, say outside dogs only. My dog is not an outside dog, not on his own anyway. He would be horrified if we justed booted him outside and left him there.
Our holiday home owners wanted to do this too - that's why we settled on the dog bond - they were more than happy with this - we'll give them $150 deposit and they'll take out what they need over and above normal cleaning. Our dog doesn't live outside either and it would be a real shock to the system.
Old May 26th 2005, 5:18 pm

Yep, allowed our dog inside.

Its quite common in NZ that dogs are kept outside. No way could I do it mine is so spoilt haha.

If you would consider Papamoa/Tauranga area go to adverts on www. u k 2 n z . co.uk - sorry for the way its typed. If I didnt do that stars come up and you cant see the link. Search Tauranga or just scroll down and youll see a couple. Any probs pm me.

Spoke to hubby drive from Papamoa to Whakatane is about an hour. So might be a possibiilty until you can get over here and sort out a rental. Honestly once you are here and the landlords can meet you youll have no probs getting a house. We were spoilt for choice for houses that would take a dog. The end up we took a house on the beach. House was a tad knackered on the outside and very 70s decor inside but it was warm and with views to die for.
Old May 26th 2005, 5:21 pm

Hope this link works

http://www.*****.co.uk/chat/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=7357
Old May 26th 2005, 5:46 pm

Lizard try these people as well

www.rentabach.co.nz
Old May 26th 2005, 6:24 pm

Just had an email from my mate in Papamoa. She has just bought a house and her rental may come back up... and yes it allows dogs.

Its a very large 3 bed plus study, 2 baths brick and tile new build in a very lovely estate 5 mins from the beach and main road to Whakatane. She is paying $340 a week. Nice fenced yard for dog.
Old May 26th 2005, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scottish
Just had an email from my mate in Papamoa. She has just bought a house and her rental may come back up... and yes it allows dogs.

Its a very large 3 bed plus study, 2 baths brick and tile new build in a very lovely estate 5 mins from the beach and main road to Whakatane. She is paying $340 a week. Nice fenced yard for dog.
Thanks scottish, if you could keep me informed I would be very grateful

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.