Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Struggling to find rental with dogs. Christchurch

Struggling to find rental with dogs. Christchurch

Old Jul 17th 2011, 8:33 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Struggling to find rental with dogs. Christchurch

Hi bro
Old Jul 17th 2011, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

stephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rasen78
Hi bro
hi sis

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Time to start a roll call for those heading down-under in July . Don't be shy!
hello there ( you can utter this in a Leslie Phillips style).
I reckon to arrive in Christchurch on the weekend of 30/31 July, my dogs will have been at CQS for a week by then. Not sure about forum etiquette on this thread, can I pose a question about Rented Accommmodation?

Hello all, I'm definitely hoping for tips and advice with this one.
I've used Sella, RealEstateNZ and Open2View. I've emailed Kennard, Harcourts, 1st National, Cowdy, Irelands, IronBridge, RayWhite, WKB & QPM at group level and individual agents. I've only had 2 responses, in the negative, from 25 emails.
I wouldn't have associated Kiwi's with indifference.
My requirements are for a house with a fenced backyard suitable to kennel 2 working dogs outside. I've been quoting a budget of $250 - $350 per week.
The latest advice from the recruitment consultant was to look more rural eg Rolleston or Oxford. Ill be commuting to Waltham and assume that South and West of Christchurch would be best for this.
are any of you able to suggest what I'm doing wrong in my initial contacts with the agents?
look forward to hearing from you all.

Last edited by BEVS; Jul 19th 2011 at 6:23 am.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 12:27 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Struggling to find accommodation for 2 dogs Christchurch

Hello
When are you moving over and do you have a definite date yet? Will the dogs be arriving at the same time or at a later date? You may get more of a response if you're either over here or have a definite arrival date.
I have seen threads on here from those who have managed to rent with dogs and it seems that you can sometimes negotiate a deal even if they say outright that no dogs are allowed.
Have you tried Trademe? http://www.trademe.co.nz/property
Try putting pets or dogs in the keyword search and see what comes up. Some do say pets negotiable and 2 working dogs in an outside kennel may be more acceptable than say, dogs who will be inside.
But yes you may have to look at more rural areas, Rolleston is only a 10-15min drive from the edge of Chch and is a decent sized town. We were thinking of living there and working in Chch but ended up on the edge of the city.
Good luck

Have a look at these threads [put renting and dogs into search]
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...t=renting+dogs
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...t=renting+dogs
They may give you some advice on getting your dogs accepted.

Last edited by Persephone; Jul 19th 2011 at 12:39 am. Reason: added threads
Old Jul 19th 2011, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

It's very hard to get accomodation at all in Christchurch, there are so many people who need homes right now and want to stay in the city. I think rural is by far your best bet, both for dogs and landlords willing to give it a try. They will ask you if your dogs are allowed in the house when you are out, the correct answer is no, of course.................

Jan
Old Jul 19th 2011, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stephen60
I've used Sella, RealEstateNZ and Open2View. I've emailed Kennard, Harcourts, 1st National, Cowdy, Irelands, IronBridge, RayWhite, WKB & QPM at group level and individual agents. I've only had 2 responses, in the negative, from 25 emails.
My requirements are for a house with a fenced backyard suitable to kennel 2 working dogs outside. I've been quoting a budget of $250 - $350 per week.
The latest advice from the recruitment consultant was to look more rural eg Rolleston or Oxford. Ill be commuting to Waltham and assume that South and West of Christchurch would be best for this.
are any of you able to suggest what I'm doing wrong in my initial contacts with the agents?
It's not indiiference to be fair , your budget may be a bit low for the city, and there are hardly any rental properties out there at all after the earthquake... I'm sure you'll be OK though
Old Jul 19th 2011, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Since the earthquake there seems to be that estate agents are advising landlords not to take people with dogs. My daughter had terrible problems trying to find a place to rent with one dog. Devlins definitely say no pets not negotiable in all their adverts and I expect others will do this as well.

You need to be on Trade me every day at 8am when the new listings go on from the agents. Failing that how about a wanted advert in the local rag. There are not enough rentals as it is for people without animals and they seem to be taking precedence. Where my daughter got her rental the landlord only had it on for one day and then let the phone ring off the hook. She apparently had about 25 people wanting to view in the first 24 hours so good luck with that one. Sorry to be bearing bad news! You may need to find kennels for your dogs until you can look for somewhere that will take them.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 6:18 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Renting with dogs. Christchurch

Yes. This thread tidy might help you better.

My requirements are for a house with a fenced backyard suitable to kennel 2 working dogs outside.
Working dogs?

Last edited by BEVS; Jul 19th 2011 at 6:24 am.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 7:52 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Renting with dogs. Christchurch

Originally Posted by BEVS

Working dogs?
they must be the clever ones that can type....
Old Jul 19th 2011, 8:19 am
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Struggling to find rental with dogs. Christchurch

Surely if they're working, they deserve to be indoors too
Old Jul 19th 2011, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

stephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Kija
Surely if they're working, they deserve to be indoors too
thanks to you all for your advice, your descriptions of the pressures on rental in Cristchurch from the EQ definitely rang some bells. The dogs arrive at their Quarantine Kennels in Aylesbury this Saturday(23rd), I expect to arrive the 30th, homeless and penniless, woe is me!
Old Jul 20th 2011, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

sandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nice

Originally Posted by stephen60
hi sis

hello there ( you can utter this in a Leslie Phillips style).
I reckon to arrive in Christchurch on the weekend of 30/31 July, my dogs will have been at CQS for a week by then. Not sure about forum etiquette on this thread, can I pose a question about Rented Accommmodation?

Hi there sorry to say but i dont think you will,get one in Rolleston ,i live there and my kids live here they could not find a house that allowed dogs,would think somewere like Leeston or Dunsandle,would be best opion,but be aware there is not a lot in both places
Old Jul 20th 2011, 10:39 am
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

On a more serious note I've seen a few rentals on TradeMe that have a pet negotiable option, might be worth keeping an eye open there. Surely it's doable, lots of people have pets! Hope you find something nice soon

PS: Don't forget to post pix of your dogs on the Dogs in New Zealand thread!
Old Jul 20th 2011, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

This one says outdoor pets neg.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/property/re...-392046163.htm

and its in Waltham.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chippy64
This one says outdoor pets neg.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/property/re...-392046163.htm

and its in Waltham.
Thanks for the tip, tried to register with Trade Me last night so that I can email advertisers, not a lot of joy, asking me for a NZ address. hints and tips definitely welcome on this!
Old Jul 27th 2011, 12:52 am
Just Joined

geordielasstoo is an unknown quantity at this point

We're in Chch and have a dog we brought over. He's only a little Jack Russell but we did come across the problem of no dogs on the adverts. We found that if we asked, the agents would check with the owners to see what they would accept. We were even told be one agent they put 'no dogs' on adverts to put off people with big dogs. I know it's hard to find something here before you actually get here so you may have to find a cheap motel till you can get somewhere and arrange for kennels for your dogs. |What size place are you looking for?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.