Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Structural Engineer maybe coming to Christchurch - Any info please

Structural Engineer maybe coming to Christchurch - Any info please

Old Sep 11th 2012, 8:56 am
Just Joined

johntmanic has a brilliant futurejohntmanic has a brilliant futurejohntmanic has a brilliant futurejohntmanic has a brilliant futurejohntmanic has a brilliant futurejohntmanic has a brilliant futurejohntmanic has a brilliant future
Default Re: The Christchurch thread

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
$85K is about GBP43K with current exchange rates, but the point is that it will cost you more to live here, probably, depending on your lifestyle.

I presume you have a BEHons? There is a current real need here for engineers here who have professional experience/training in modelling or designing built structures in concrete, steel or wood, for earthquake resilience. If you are still in the process of being offered a job, perhaps look at the Royal Commission discussions, or the IPENZ submissions to the Commission, as an awareness of the local environment would be helpful. I do know that there are so many structural professional engineers required in the short term that the solution is recruiting from overseas.

If you want to PM me, I could give you more info, I work in a very closely related area

Jan
Thanks for your reply Jan

Yeah I have a first class Bsc (Hons) in Civil Engineering - plus other qualifications I've done leading up to that.

As for lifestyle I'm not into flash cars or expensive clothes or anything (I'm from Wigan don't forget ) But as it stand over here I'm paying approx. £500 mortgage, £60 gas and elec, £80 council tax, £45 water etc etc so if I can get somewhere decent and my bills are about the same I'd be happy! I'm not looking to half my living costs or anything like that!

It sounds really corney but I want to be able to go canoeing at the weekends or try surfing, go somewhere nice fishing - I sound like an old man but that really appeals to me and it won't really happen where I am now!

It's just something I've never really thought about doing until I got the phone call the other night!

Last edited by johntmanic; Sep 11th 2012 at 8:59 am.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 11:23 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johntmanic
Thanks for your reply Jan

Yeah I have a first class Bsc (Hons) in Civil Engineering - plus other qualifications I've done leading up to that.

As for lifestyle I'm not into flash cars or expensive clothes or anything (I'm from Wigan don't forget ) But as it stand over here I'm paying approx. £500 mortgage, £60 gas and elec, £80 council tax, £45 water etc etc so if I can get somewhere decent and my bills are about the same I'd be happy! I'm not looking to half my living costs or anything like that!

It sounds really corney but I want to be able to go canoeing at the weekends or try surfing, go somewhere nice fishing - I sound like an old man but that really appeals to me and it won't really happen where I am now!

It's just something I've never really thought about doing until I got the phone call the other night!
I often see surfers at New Brighton, the sea looks so cold but they seem happy
Are you set on living near the sea or perhaps closer to work? I know you said the NB-Hornby commute is about half of what you do now but it still gets wearing after a while.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 11:25 am
Just Joined

johntmanic has a brilliant futurejohntmanic has a brilliant futurejohntmanic has a brilliant futurejohntmanic has a brilliant futurejohntmanic has a brilliant futurejohntmanic has a brilliant futurejohntmanic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Persephone
I often see surfers at New Brighton, the sea looks so cold but they seem happy
Are you set on living near the sea or perhaps closer to work? I know you said the NB-Hornby commute is about half of what you do now but it still gets wearing after a while.
I'd like a happy medium of inbetween the 2 - 15 mins from each! That would be really good!

It maybe a stupid question this (so excuse my ignorance) is the sea cold over there?
Old Sep 11th 2012, 12:00 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like a happy medium of inbetween the 2 - 15 mins from each! That would be really good!

It maybe a stupid question this (so excuse my ignorance) is the sea cold over there?
Yes it is cold! But then I'm not into beaches and swimming so best to ask someone who goes in the sea regularly. If it's a nice day [ie not hailing] when I'm over there this week I'll have a little paddle and let you know

Around 15mins from each can be done, traffic is pretty much consistent all over the city so look midway between the two points. That'll be the CBD/Cashmere/Sydenham/St Albans/Merivale areas and surrounds. Certain roads get busy but you learn to avoid those
Old Sep 11th 2012, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Persephone
Yes it is cold! But then I'm not into beaches and swimming so best to ask someone who goes in the sea regularly. If it's a nice day [ie not hailing] when I'm over there this week I'll have a little paddle and let you know

Around 15mins from each can be done, traffic is pretty much consistent all over the city so look midway between the two points. That'll be the CBD/Cashmere/Sydenham/St Albans/Merivale areas and surrounds. Certain roads get busy but you learn to avoid those
Hmm when I see pics of New Zealand it looks like the sea would be like Spain, nice and warm! Erect nipple ahoy then?

A 15 min commute sounds like a dream! Nothing can be worst than the M6 and M62 commute from Wigan to Manchester?

The areas that you have mentioned are they nice enough? Or a bit on the rough side?
Old Sep 11th 2012, 12:38 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Hmm when I see pics of New Zealand it looks like the sea would be like Spain, nice and warm! Erect nipple ahoy then?

A 15 min commute sounds like a dream! Nothing can be worst than the M6 and M62 commute from Wigan to Manchester?

The areas that you have mentioned are they nice enough? Or a bit on the rough side?
Don't mention erect nipples, you'll have Neil on here in a flash [sorry Jan] I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to getting in the sea and avoid at all costs as I rarely find it anything but cold.

Merivale-nice/posh. St Albans-nice. Sydenham -more run down but ok I think. Cashmere-nice,a bit posh. CBD-broken.
The only places I would say to definitely avoid are Aranui and Wainoni, they are much rougher than everywhere else. But there are no real no-go areas like there are in Manchester
Old Sep 12th 2012, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Too true I remember it with horror

Jan
Old Sep 12th 2012, 3:03 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Try travelling between Junction 4 and junction 7 of the M25 clockwise

Your M62 commute is paradise compared to that
Old Sep 13th 2012, 10:42 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Structural Engineer maybe coming to Christchurch - Any info please

Did anyone else find the time difference a hindrance when trying to sort things? I hate having to wait to replies to emails and phone calls!

I'm just up to the stage of my referees being interviewed even though I've not even been made an offer or anything?
Old Oct 1st 2012, 9:19 am
Just Joined

yick pie eater is an unknown quantity at this point

Did anyone else find the time difference a hindrance when trying to sort things? I hate having to wait to replies to emails and phone calls!

I'm just up to the stage of my referees being interviewed even though I've not even been made an offer or anything?
Hey there johntmanic,

We could be kindered spirits?!

I am considering a role in Christchurch in a different industry to you and I actually live not far from Wigan in Haydock.

Hit me back on here or e-mail me and we could maybe meet up for an ale or three to discuss.

Regards,

Stu

Last edited by scrubbedexpat094; Oct 1st 2012 at 8:23 pm. Reason: Best not to put your personal details on a public forum. Use the PM system ;-)
Old Oct 1st 2012, 9:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tom1983
Try travelling between Junction 4 and junction 7 of the M25 clockwise

Your M62 commute is paradise compared to that
Your not wrong, London is slowly grinding to a halt!!
Old Oct 1st 2012, 9:31 am
Just Joined

Hey Pie Eater!

Well for me at the moment everything is on the back burner! When I first had talks with a recruitment guy he said that they would be employing around 20 Engineers now and then employing another 15-20 in the new year!
I had an email a few weeks ago saying that they are not taking any more on yet as they need to bed the people they already have and then look at things again and he's contacting me in November with an update!
All this is fine for me as at the end of the month I'm going to America for 3 weeks and only be returning mid November so there was nothing I could do about moving over there anyways until after then!
So at the minute I'm waiting and seeing what happens?

What is it that you'll be doing?

John
Old Oct 1st 2012, 9:37 am
Just Joined

Thats a shame thought we may have been aligned.

I am a Sport/Community Dev Officer (also taught at College), they offered me a job over there in the summer and to be honest I have stalled a bit.

I was over in the North Island in 2009/10 working for 12 months, came home to do an MA in Manchester and struggled for 12 months finding work here, and basically become bitter against our failing nation!!
Old Oct 1st 2012, 9:44 am
Just Joined

I always knew that it would be next year if it happens - but I'm trying to push it out of my mind for a bit though because I can't put my life on hold waiting for a yes or no?
If it was a yes I'd be gone in a heart beat! I'm a bit like you with the 'failing nation' and I think I want out of this country!

Would you be up for the move yourself mate?
Old Oct 1st 2012, 9:57 am
Just Joined

I always knew that it would be next year if it happens - but I'm trying to push it out of my mind for a bit though because I can't put my life on hold waiting for a yes or no?
If it was a yes I'd be gone in a heart beat! I'm a bit like you with the 'failing nation' and I think I want out of this country!

Would you be up for the move yourself mate?
Having been there before I know the script and have about more experience of what to expect.

I would never have come back last time but my girlfriend wasn't so keen in Palmerston North (quiet) and then she had a bereavement in her family.

Since, as I said before, doing an MA was a second best option for me but now I have been unemployed for 12 months, she works in Salford, we live in Haydock.

I intially went travelling in 2006 and spent a month in NZ then went on holiday in 2008 again, made the move to work in 2009 and want back again. It is a great country, rural, low social problems, nice climate, clean and lots of opportunity!!

If your the sort of person that can do without several UK comforts (stuff we become accustomed to) then you will go fine.

I want to go but my gf is against it and with her sister now having a baby it has made things even more difficult

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.