Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The strength of the kiwi$

The strength of the kiwi$

Old Apr 12th 2011, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default The strength of the kiwi$

Alas Alan Bollard the reserve bank chief has decided not to intervene in the ridiculous value of our currency, its edging up to 79 US cents and slowly moving back to 2 for 1 re the GBP. This flys in the face of Barclays (one of the worlds biggest forex dealers) who say we should take some action. This was done in 2007 successfully but just now Alan thinks its cool the way it is.

Shame for anyone who is in a position of having to change up a large amount of pounds to kiwis eh?
Old Apr 13th 2011, 2:50 am
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The strength of the kiwi$

Originally Posted by Genesis
Alas Alan Bollard the reserve bank chief has decided not to intervene in the ridiculous value of our currency, its edging up to 79 US cents and slowly moving back to 2 for 1 re the GBP. This flys in the face of Barclays (one of the worlds biggest forex dealers) who say we should take some action. This was done in 2007 successfully but just now Alan thinks its cool the way it is.

Shame for anyone who is in a position of having to change up a large amount of pounds to kiwis eh?
But on the flip side allows Kiwis a much more affordable holiday in the UK or US
Old Apr 13th 2011, 2:53 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Flippin' didn't help the husband much recently when he returned to the UK. The flight prices were horrendous.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alanmacc
But on the flip side allows Kiwis a much more affordable holiday in the UK or US
That fills my heart with joy and happiness for all the kiwis who can do the above. Apparently most of 'em don't have a pot to piss in 'cos they are mortgaged up to the hilt with the car, the boat, et al and they earn shite wages.

It was a nice thought anyways.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BEVS
Flippin' didn't help the husband much recently when he returned to the UK. The flight prices were horrendous.
Absolutely, another one of the many joys of life in NZ is that we pay about twice as much as some one who is doing the trip from UK to NZ.

Point in case.............. I paid $13000 for 5 tickets to the UK Oct 2010. That is $2600 a pop. My bro in law did it for about half of that..around 600 english pounds.

Nice one eh???

NZ it just gets better.

No wonder once you are here most people are stuck here.

We could only pay the rip off fares due to an inheritance.

Dom 'honeymoon period is well over' the Pom. It did last almost 6ish years.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

zoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nice

I do wonder who is benefiting from the strong Kiwi- cos Im still not seeing any price reductions on imported items in the shops. Given how the dollar has strengthened over the last 2 years (since I moved here), there really ought to be visible reductions. Odd how that does'nt happen eh?
Old Apr 13th 2011, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Give it a rest mate! We haven't all got "a large amount of pounds" to transfer to Kiwis, but if I had I'd buy some cars in pommy-land and bung them in a container and ship em over to Palmy North and flog em to the Kiwis. Every cloud has a silver lining
Old Apr 13th 2011, 11:51 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Wow Genisis, been a very long time since I have been on this forum.

You used to be one of NZ's champions on here, always providing support against the naysayer's. Remember Nerine and Campbell's?

Things are tough as, I got made redundant two years ago. I have since started my own company, importing a range of wine processing equipment. The strength of the kiwi dollar is helping make my business viable, which in turn pays the mortgage.

Things are hard, we are under pressure, but getting by. My family in the UK are pretty much in the same position. It's tough everywhere at the moment brother. But I am still happy to take the kids to the beach, drink a nice bottle of wine ($10!), have a moan about the kids drinking litres of milk.

My shoulders have got broader being here. I guess I am a bit more of a Kiwi now.

Catchafire (aka Beachcombers)
Old Apr 13th 2011, 12:00 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Well that's more to do about the sad state of affairs in the UK. Remember the financial melt down? It's the pound that'd taken a nose dive!

It's the milk that keeps the dollar high. See a dip in milk powder prices, watch the currency slide.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Well that's more to do about the sad state of affairs in the UK. Remember the financial melt down? It's the pound that'd taken a nose dive!

It's the milk that keeps the dollar high. See a dip in milk powder prices, watch the currency slide.
its not just the quid, the kiwi is madly over valued and has been for ages. What pisses me off is that the consumer sees no benefit on the flip side.

Nice to hear you do well out of it as does my mate who imports chilean wine and pays in US dollars. As for me being a pro NZ person to the bone in the past I guess where you have broad shoulders I have lots of realism. And the more I see the more I learn about NZ.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The strength of the kiwi$

its not just the quid, the kiwi is madly over valued and has been for ages. What pisses me off is that the consumer sees no benefit on the flip side.

Nice to hear you do well out of it as does my mate who imports chilean wine and pays in US dollars. As for me being a pro NZ person to the bone in the past I guess where you have broad shoulders I have lots of realism. And the more I see the more I learn about NZ.
Flying from UK to NZ is no longer cheap due to the ridiclous taxes for flying long hsul now the further you fly the more you pay! Have a go at booking online from the Uk & you will get a fright at the add ons that are now applied (since may last year)
Old Apr 13th 2011, 10:19 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Catchafire (aka Beachcombers)
Hi . Nice to see you posting.
Sorry to read 'bout the job mate. I remember your posts about finding work here once you had arrived. I do hope your business venture works out well.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

Ex Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to all

Absolutely, another one of the many joys of life in NZ is that we pay about twice as much as some one who is doing the trip from UK to NZ.

Point in case.............. I paid $13000 for 5 tickets to the UK Oct 2010. That is $2600 a pop. My bro in law did it for about half of that..around 600 english pounds.

Nice one eh???

NZ it just gets better.

No wonder once you are here most people are stuck here.

We could only pay the rip off fares due to an inheritance.

Dom 'honeymoon period is well over' the Pom. It did last almost 6ish years.
Airfares are based on season you are flying in to/ If going from winter in NZ to summer in UK, Europe etc then it is peak rates so are Christmas & School hols.

Departure Tax from Heathrow was almost 500 pounds!

I booked flight with Air NZ in January arriving AKL September & during a 7 day period the flight varied by $200, same flight now is more than $1,000 dearer so please I booked & paid so far in advance. OH said I was crazy at the time, now he trusts my judgement in the future.

Same as flights between AKL-BNE in the past I have paid anything from $1 (I won Emirates seat) to $460 return, however on urgent trip I paid $650 in economy (one way)