Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Straw/break/camel.......

Straw/break/camel.......

Old Aug 7th 2012, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Straw/break/camel.......

Originally Posted by lardyl
thanks for your good wishes mate. don't take any notice of the green-eyed tossers who have in for you. you've always been one of the most positive and thoughful posters here. in the main they are just johnny-come-latelys who know f-all about your journey, all those home improvements, etc

I do hope that you live well with the decision, which ever way it goes and that it all turns out the best for your family.
And you are a !! Thank you kindly.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Genesis I was gobsmacked to read your post, but you have to do what is right for you. I thought you would be in it for the long long long haul!

Been back just a few weeks myself and already settling back in to life although no house or anything on the horizon but we are in holiday mode and taking a few weeks to tour around Britain before we settle down and find jobs and a place to call home. Contrary to what I had read, have found loads of jobs advertised, and already signed on with a medical practice and had blood tests taken as routine for being a new patient and an ECG planned for this week all at no cost, the ECG alone in NZ cost me $70 so pleased that I can see the Dr for no cost at the moment. Not sure how much I will have to pay for a prescription yet but not as much as a visit to the Dr in NZ! Love the banter with the brits and the sense of humour and no one has been nasty or cut us up on the roads in fact there is a lot of courteous drivers out there! Mind you we are based in Devon so maybe that has something to do with it. We bought a car and the salesman was great and the customer service and aftersales just as good. Even the salesman lent us his car today as we had found a small dent in our new second hand car and as it was still warranted they did it for us today and he arranged to come meet my husband and swap cars for the day! How is that for Customer Service. It is not all doom and gloom here so far in my opinion. We even had a caravan that we bought towed for us to a park and the sales guy helped us to set it all up before he left us to our own devices. So contrary to popular belief it is not all bad here so come on over if that is what you feel is right as I am sure you will get by just fine. Good luck in your decision making it all works out the way you want it to in the end.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shirl
Hey Genesis I was gobsmacked to read your post, but you have to do what is right for you. I thought you would be in it for the long long long haul!

Been back just a few weeks myself and already settling back in to life although no house or anything on the horizon but we are in holiday mode and taking a few weeks to tour around Britain before we settle down and find jobs and a place to call home. Contrary to what I had read, have found loads of jobs advertised, and already signed on with a medical practice and had blood tests taken as routine for being a new patient and an ECG planned for this week all at no cost, the ECG alone in NZ cost me $70 so pleased that I can see the Dr for no cost at the moment. Not sure how much I will have to pay for a prescription yet but not as much as a visit to the Dr in NZ! Love the banter with the brits and the sense of humour and no one has been nasty or cut us up on the roads in fact there is a lot of courteous drivers out there! Mind you we are based in Devon so maybe that has something to do with it. We bought a car and the salesman was great and the customer service and aftersales just as good. Even the salesman lent us his car today as we had found a small dent in our new second hand car and as it was still warranted they did it for us today and he arranged to come meet my husband and swap cars for the day! How is that for Customer Service. It is not all doom and gloom here so far in my opinion. We even had a caravan that we bought towed for us to a park and the sales guy helped us to set it all up before he left us to our own devices. So contrary to popular belief it is not all bad here so come on over if that is what you feel is right as I am sure you will get by just fine. Good luck in your decision making it all works out the way you want it to in the end.
Hi Shirl, we have served our apprentiship having served over 7 years!! Sounds wonderful from what you say and I would be back tomorrow but for 2 or 3 things. I doubt with the money available to us we could ever emulate what we have here (we could get close but not in such a way on a day to day quality of life basis) and then there is the density of population issue.

Another factor is our young children where is the best place for them? I love the UK, miss it very badly and miss a few important people that are there. But then I would miss one or two of the really good friends we have here.

NZ is a very poorly run country, they bodge everything and in my view are way worse at running a country than the UK ever was, that really annoys me.

At the end of the day there are huge pros for both countires, if Kate the kids were screaming "get us out of here" I would be gone, but they are not. I am having and going to have a good life either here or there and will be content in either place and will just put up with what irks me either here or there.

Long may your happiness last..I am sure it will!!
Old Aug 10th 2012, 3:08 am
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

http://youtu.be/tf5bJiLXYa8
ive never liked him
bye
Old Aug 10th 2012, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

sparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodlea
Did you really save 90 thousand pounds in 11 years or is it actually the good old British taxpayer that paid it?
Anyway tax has to be paid at some point and the savings were tax free at the point of saving so would have to be taxed at the point of drawing or am I missing the point?
I concur,
Public servant
What do I know I just do wires.........
Also, fair comment justcol
Old Aug 10th 2012, 7:44 pm
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shirl

So pleased to read that's it's worked out well for you Shirl. Not everywhere in the UK is crap. Good on your girl for what you've done.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 7:54 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peliqueria
I concur,
Public servant
tradesmen.......worth more pay or pension than cops?
risk your lives?
pick up bits of dead folks?
take home your work?
keep one eye over your shoulder cause of the job?

don't think so...........

go home and sharpen your side cutters mate, cause you don't know anything about it at all......neither does Col
Old Aug 11th 2012, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by peliqueria
I concur,
Public servant
Talking out of your arse springs to mind. If I wasn't a public servant what is a copper then? A private guard? A self employed agent? What?
Old Aug 11th 2012, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

risk your lives?
take home your work?

go home and sharpen your side cutters mate, cause you don't know anything about it at all......neither does Col
Old Aug 12th 2012, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Living in Doncaster might be cheap
Uhhhmmm, not sure I would class 395k GBP as cheap!

Anyhow, if someone is willing to put their hand up to be a cop in the UK, good luck to them and everything they can get, for the UK anti-social behaviour and everything that goes with it is a major reason for me never going near the place to live again.

What about getting yourself some work or starting a business Genesis? Or maybe moving elsewhere in NZ? Would either of those present a little of the challenge that maybe you seek?
Old Aug 12th 2012, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Robbo25
Uhhhmmm, not sure I would class 395k GBP as cheap!

Anyhow, if someone is willing to put their hand up to be a cop in the UK, good luck to them and everything they can get, for the UK anti-social behaviour and everything that goes with it is a major reason for me never going near the place to live again.

What about getting yourself some work or starting a business Genesis? Or maybe moving elsewhere in NZ? Would either of those present a little of the challenge that maybe you seek?
Would always look at another part of NZ or Oz before we left NZ if where we lived 'did not do it for us' anymore. However return to UK if it ever happens will be all about emotions and nought else.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

No worries, just sounded like a change was underlying it for you i.e. a new challenge
Old Aug 13th 2012, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

risk your lives?
take home your work?

What make you think I've always worked as a tradesman ??

Last edited by Justcol; Aug 13th 2012 at 12:50 pm.