Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Straw/break/camel.......

Straw/break/camel.......

Old Aug 3rd 2012, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Straw/break/camel.......

Well negotiations are afoot within the family for a return to the UK after almost 7.5 years.

The recent tax debacle around our pensions was the final straw for me and Kate (who will decide ultimately) is quite keen it seems to have a change.

There are jobs within her area of work and there are a good choice of homes in our price range across the UK.

We have had a number of issues in NZ but this one really takes the biscuit. There are many other things that also make me feel that NZ is not right for us now. There is much about the place we all still like, for instance our wonderful neighbourhood, the local town our social life etc. But sometimes you start wondering 'where do I really want to be?' And the attitude of the powers to be can certainly help you along your decision making process when they behave in such a poor manner.

The pound appears to be getting weaker and weaker and this is another factor in the affordability of a possible move back.

If the kiwi was to suddenly grow weak not sure we could afford what we need housewise.

If we do end up going (we have a window of between now and Dec 2013 in relation to education needs) I will never regret having spent the time we have in NZ. It is and was a wonderful adventure and it has been wonderful on many levels.

Who knows for whatever reason we may end up staying if we can't sell our home for example. Only time will tell but it is a very exciting prospect!!!

Just not looking forward to all the population density..will friends and rellies make up for it???????????????????????????

Last edited by Genesis; Aug 3rd 2012 at 11:25 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 11:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Straw/break/camel.......

Originally Posted by Genesis
Well negotiations are afoot within the family for a return to the UK after almost 7.5 years.

The recent tax debacle around our pensions was the final straw for me and Kate (who will decide ultimately) is quite keen it seems to have a change.

There are jobs within her area of work and there are a good choice of homes in our price range across the UK.

We have had a number of issues in NZ but this one really takes the biscuit. There are many other things that also make me feel that NZ is not right for us now. There is much about the place we all still like, for instance our wonderful neighbourhood, Palmy our social life etc. But sometimes you start wondering 'where do I really want to be?' And the attitude of the powers to be can certainly help you along your decision making process when they behave in such a poor manner.

The pound appears to be getting weaker and weaker and this is another factor in the affordability of a possible move back.

If the kiwi was to suddenly grow weak not sure we could afford what we need housewise.

If we do end up going (we have a window of between now and Dec 2013 in relation to education needs) I will never regret having spent the time we have in NZ. It is and was a wonderful adventure and it has been wonderful on many levels.

Who knows for whatever reason we may end up staying if we can't sell our home for example. Only time will tell but it is a very exciting prospect!!!

Just not looking forward to all the population density..will friends and rellies make up for it???????????????????????????
Wow Genesis, this has surprised me but I can understand it. Sometimes the straws just add up don't they . That's how it was with me & midwifery here, my final straw being the couple who complained about me because I helped to save her life. Apparently I should've let her bleed to death whilst we waited for consultant obs (who wasn't picking up her messages) to come .

OH is looking at our finances this weekend & I think this will help us to reach a decision about what to do in the longer term.

I'm guessing you'll give Northants a miss . I think in terms of North Yorks Cumbria, Dorset & Devon as my top choices.

It is hard though isn't it, there's lots to like about NZ.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Wow Genesis, this has surprised me but I can understand it. Sometimes the straws just add up don't they . That's how it was with me & midwifery here, my final straw being the couple who complained about me because I helped to save her life. Apparently I should've let her bleed to death whilst we waited for consultant obs (who wasn't picking up her messages) to come .

OH is looking at our finances this weekend & I think this will help us to reach a decision about what to do in the longer term.

I'm guessing you'll give Northants a miss . I think in terms of North Yorks Cumbria, Dorset & Devon as my top choices.

It is hard though isn't it, there's lots to like about NZ.
Found a 7 bed Georgian pile just out of Doncaster for 395k GBP. Seems good value to me and gives a flavour of what is out there.

BTW if we leave it will not to be to evade3 the tax that may be due on our pensions. I intend to pay whatever is owed before we go no matter how unfair it is. Did you know that you can apparently have the 51% lump sum that is locked up in the super scheme of your QROPs provider IF you leave NZ for good? And so it should be, looks like I am going to pay a whopping tax bill on it so why should I not have access to it if I leave? Will also stop me being taxed on it in the UK as I understnd there is a tax agreement betwixt the UK and NZ.

Last edited by Genesis; Aug 3rd 2012 at 11:31 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 11:28 pm
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

What a surprise Genesis

Can only do BE once a week now, so I might have not yet have read previous posts you have on pensions, but what a shock.

I thought out of all the regular posters here you were one of the "staying is good" one's. But what ever happens I hope it all works out for you
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 11:31 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by sparkie down under

Can only do BE once a week now,
I did wonder. Have missed you about the place.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

RachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to all

Make sure you really know what you're getting yourself into before you come home.
I come to NZ in January, and from coming on here have no rose-tinted glasses about how difficult the transition will be.
I came to New Zealand briefly at the start of the year, and was only back 12 days before I decided to come over permanently. The first time you are stuck in a traffic jam or have some arse on the road cut you up, your car stolen, house broken into or have some chav spit at you for the fun of it, you may well want to return. And let's face it, life is too short for regrets.

Best of British whatever you decide

xx
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

RachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
It's awful when somewone complains about you purely for trying to help and do your job.

This is a weekly occurance in the UK (especially in heatlhcare). People think that in the UK, that if you complain, that you will get compensated. You have to document EVERYTHING, even so much as giving someone a cup of tea (I had a complaint for not giving a hyperemesis anythink to eat and drink (I admitted her, she was with me for half an hour and vomitting!!!)

Sad but true
Old Aug 4th 2012, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

yjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck,, don t think we will be too long behind you
Well my account of nursing in NZ.. makes an interesting storey However UK standards in best practice and quality care is far superior to NZ. ,,, For example an RN thought a facility should have an average of 70% pressure sores within a 60 bedded hospital, Needless to say my list of bad practice since I ve been here have often shocked me,, I personally do not want to get old here and put into one there facilitys scattered around New Zealand. This is my personal experiance and would love to eat my words..
Old Aug 4th 2012, 12:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RachelG12
Make sure you really know what you're getting yourself into before you come home.
I come to NZ in January, and from coming on here have no rose-tinted glasses about how difficult the transition will be.
I came to New Zealand briefly at the start of the year, and was only back 12 days before I decided to come over permanently. The first time you are stuck in a traffic jam or have some arse on the road cut you up, your car stolen, house broken into or have some chav spit at you for the fun of it, you may well want to return. And let's face it, life is too short for regrets.

Best of British whatever you decide

xx
I've had more stuff stolen in 8yrs in NZ than in 50yrs in the UK.

I'm thinking of going back too. But I would get citizenship before returning to UK then you can flip flop between NZ & Uk at leisure.

Last edited by Robbie2010; Aug 4th 2012 at 12:36 am.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 12:42 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
I've had more stuff stolen in 8yrs in NZ than in 50yrs in the UK.
We are the same vintage
I've also had more bother here than in the 50 yrs I spent in the UK. Yet, I'm in a small village here and there are far less people around me than where I lived in the UK.

I'm thinking of going back too. But I would get citizenship before returning to UK then you can flip flop between NZ & Uk at leisure.
Very wise.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BEVS
We are the same vintage
I've also had more bother here than in the 50 yrs I spent in the UK. Yet, I'm in a small village here and there are far less people around me than where I lived in the UK.

Very wise.
Apart from all the problems I had in Plod Land (colleagues not the public) and the last neighbourhood I lived in for 3 years in Northants the Uk was prettyr trouble free. We have had more fiscal issues (being robbed blind) in7 yrs in NZ than 45 in the Uk.

We had an utter balls up buying our house due to a shite lawyer. We ended up with a 3 bed house rather than the 4 we paid full asking for....don't ask!!!!!

Lost over $80k because all the people who were supposed to be looking arvo our interests were doing nothing.

Have had endless problems with SHITE builders and their ever so important and big egos with getting a new roof on our house..or trying to. And talk about rip offs!!!!!! Finally have found a decent builder who's not taking the piss.

And now the $34k tax bill when we were promised a tax free ride.

I know the UK is fuul, personally I would rather go the Ireland but no one is there at the moment in the light of 25% u/e.

I love much about NZ but am fair sick of attitudes re shite driving, speeding, asset sales, the drink drive culture and the general what I perceive as a self important insular attitude of too many kiwis makes it time to think about a new start. Probably may come to nothing and if so I can 'grin an bear' and enjoy all the good things of NZ. Either way I will be okay about it. No where is perfect . But I do admit I really miss my few UK friends and some members of my family quite a bit these days.

Growing soft in my old days eh??
Old Aug 4th 2012, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Stupid dimwits in charge will be pushing lots of wealth/spending power out of the country. I will refrain from making unpleasant remarks about the UK and instead hope you all get great exchange rates going back and manage to claw back a few £'s. Perhaps there are a few unspoilt green fields of England left somewhere.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mark Smith
Stupid dimwits in charge will be pushing lots of wealth/spending power out of the country. I will refrain from making unpleasant remarks about the UK and instead hope you all get great exchange rates going back and manage to claw back a few £'s. Perhaps there are a few unspoilt green fields of England left somewhere.
You said it!! AND when they would NOT reduce the alco levels for drink drive a while back ....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I ALMOST PACKED MY BAGS THEN!!!!!!!! The transport minister said summat like 'kiwis are not ready for that yet!' AND there had been a plethora of world wide reports to say that lowering drink levels will significantly reduce fatalities. W T F?????????????????????????????????????????

I am sure quite a few people will leave NZ cos of the new tax rulings if they are invoked. I know another poster who is in the same mood. NZ is way from perfect, as is the UK. They both have lots going for them. In a perfect world I would live 6 months betwixt the 2 countries as both are very, very attractive to me. I would never dissuade anyone from moving to NZ OR returning to the UK.

Last edited by Genesis; Aug 4th 2012 at 2:19 am.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 2:15 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis

We have had a number of issues in NZ but this one really takes the biscuit. There are many other things that also make me feel that NZ is not right for us now. There is much about the place we all still like, for instance our wonderful neighbourhood, the local town our social life etc. But sometimes you start wondering 'where do I really want to be?' And the attitude of the powers to be can certainly help you along your decision making process when they behave in such a poor manner.

Yes they will, it will be like you've never been away.

I was very sorry to read you're leaving Genesis, that must've been a hard decision to make as I know how much you and your family loved living in your part of NZ.

Life has a funny way of getting away from you sometimes and it's always a good feeling to get it back under your control.

Wishing you and yours the very best for a bright future.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
Yes they will, it will be like you've never been away.

I was very sorry to read you're leaving Genesis, that must've been a hard decision to make as I know how much you and your family loved living in your part of NZ.

Life has a funny way of getting away from you sometimes and it's always a good feeling to get it back under your control.

Wishing you and yours the very best for a bright future.
Hey, easy! I have not gone yet..just in the proposal stage!! Thanks for your kind words!! Will probably never get out out of here!!! But I will try!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.