Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The strange case of the mysterious liver test

The strange case of the mysterious liver test

Old May 1st 2008, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

saritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to all
Default The strange case of the mysterious liver test

Story (in short sort of). You might remember OH had a high GT result on his medical and we thought it was probably cos he'd had a drink the night before the test. Anyway he abstained from alcohol for 5 weeks and was retested by our local GP.
Got the blood tests back about 10 days ago - GT even higher but other 3 indicators were normal. GP thought OH had been cheating and had had a drink but no, definitely not. Then GP said Hepatitis but again, no. Hep results all clear.
Hmmm. Mystery deepens. So GP sent OH off for urgent liver scan at hospital. Cue much nail biting and that great male thing of hearing the death beetle rattling around in OHs head. He was convinced it was terminal........you know the "man flu" sort of thing.
He had the liver scan last night and he officially has the worlds healthiest liver. Weird.
Anyway, sent off ITA with original results but guess now have scan results to show NZ house if they query it. We'll just have to wait and see....

sb

anyone still awake after my tale?!!
Old May 1st 2008, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

jads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to all
Default Re: The strange case of the mysterious liver test

Originally Posted by saritabear View Post

Story (in short sort of). You might remember OH had a high GT result on his medical and we thought it was probably cos he'd had a drink the night before the test. Anyway he abstained from alcohol for 5 weeks and was retested by our local GP.
Got the blood tests back about 10 days ago - GT even higher but other 3 indicators were normal. GP thought OH had been cheating and had had a drink but no, definitely not. Then GP said Hepatitis but again, no. Hep results all clear.
Hmmm. Mystery deepens. So GP sent OH off for urgent liver scan at hospital. Cue much nail biting and that great male thing of hearing the death beetle rattling around in OHs head. He was convinced it was terminal........you know the "man flu" sort of thing.
He had the liver scan last night and he officially has the worlds healthiest liver. Weird.
Anyway, sent off ITA with original results but guess now have scan results to show NZ house if they query it. We'll just have to wait and see....

sb

Hi

Glad to hear its alright, you just have to humour us MALES now and again

The nurse almost gave up on my blood pressure after about 6 times and 3 visits, she reckoned I had 'white coat sydrome' where I was terrified about Drs etc, could have been but my wife reckoned it was the nurses uniform!!!!!!!!!

Cheers Jads
Old May 1st 2008, 11:12 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jads View Post
Hi

The nurse almost gave up on my blood pressure after about 6 times and 3 visits, she reckoned I had 'white coat sydrome' where I was terrified about Drs etc, could have been but my wife reckoned it was the nurses uniform!!!!!!!!!

Cheers Jads

Glad it all turned out OK in the end! I was worried about my BP as it tends to yo-yo a bit, but I meditated before I had it taken, and told my doc I needed to do that first, and it was pleasantly low.

Bodies are weird things... so glad your hubby has the world's healthiest liver!
Old May 1st 2008, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

saritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jads View Post
Hi

Cheers Jads
Yes. I've sort of even given up on giving him any sympathy and just smile at him in a benign sort of way - the way you smile at people who are a little mad!!!
Glad your BP is ok too...

sb
Old May 1st 2008, 11:33 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

livers are temperamental little beggars.

i had raised LFT and ended up having a US done privately because my GP didnt consider it was serious enough to refer me, but i anticipated NZIS would kick up a fuss.
As it turns out I had 3 lesions on my liver and i was rushed in for an *** and CT and then referred to the oncology ward for a biopsy!!
All very dramatic, all sorted..... and the ironic thing is, NZIS never even questionned any of my blood tests, BMI or BP!!

ETA - good news to hear there is nothing to worry about. I would suggest getting another blood test done, say in a few weeks time through your GP, and again a few weeks later (offer to pay for the tests if they start getting huffie) - just in case NZIS want to know current situation you can provide ongoing 'monitoring'.

Fingers crossed for you! Kate.
Old May 1st 2008, 1:01 pm
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreamfish View Post
livers are temperamental little beggars.

i had raised LFT and ended up having a US done privately because my GP didnt consider it was serious enough to refer me, but i anticipated NZIS would kick up a fuss.
As it turns out I had 3 lesions on my liver and i was rushed in for an *** and CT and then referred to the oncology ward for a biopsy!!
All very dramatic, all sorted..... and the ironic thing is, NZIS never even questionned any of my blood tests, BMI or BP!!

ETA - good news to hear there is nothing to worry about. I would suggest getting another blood test done, say in a few weeks time through your GP, and again a few weeks later (offer to pay for the tests if they start getting huffie) - just in case NZIS want to know current situation you can provide ongoing 'monitoring'.

Fingers crossed for you! Kate.
Going off at a tangent as usual:
I had the immigration Xrays done: no worries.........
a year later I started a new job in a new DHB and had to have another Xray done........
they FOUND something {can't even insert a smilie as it was such a huge worry}
It turns out that they hadn't looked at my original Xray properly and I had a growth in my lung.
It was something and nothing and was apparently there for years but for 5 days until I went to see the DHB consultant, I thought my life had ended. It was there all the time but hadn't been picked up.
I guess my point is:
don't worry about it until it happens...........
Old May 2nd 2008, 4:14 am
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

It's always good to give up smoking as well!
Old May 2nd 2008, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by saritabear View Post

sb

Had the exact same issue... fatty liver not always visible on ultra sound scan.. but hey I got here!! Had to get Consultant opinion though!!!
Old May 2nd 2008, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Same. My cholesterol and bilirubin were raised,and after further tests it was revealed I drank a lot of beer,and was fat. Stunned. Absolutely stunned.