Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Straight into bank or HIFX?

Straight into bank or HIFX?

Old Jan 11th 2008, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Straight into bank or HIFX?

What with the rate being so low at the moment, what are your suggestions?

a) Keep money in UK bank.
b) Buy at rate now with HIFX
c) Send money over to Westpac (if it can be done) and gain interest over there?

Help!!

Nici
Old Jan 11th 2008, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Straight into bank or HIFX?

a or c I'd say
Old Jan 11th 2008, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute

I'd keep it in GBP till the rates are better. You can have a GBP account in NZ though - I know a few banks offer multi-currency accounts.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarahw
I'd keep it in GBP till the rates are better. You can have a GBP account in NZ though - I know a few banks offer multi-currency accounts.
The good thing about keeping your money in the UK if you are a non resident you will pay no tax, if you have it over here in say a Westpac £ account you will incur a minimum of 19.5 tax duty, 38% or thereabouts if you don't give them an IRD number or you are already earing over $39000 NZ.

We have some money in the UK and it will stay there indefinitely for the above reasons and until the rate gets back to the late 2's. It may be a looooong wait but changing now (unless you have to) is madness.

I remember changing my life savings back in 2005 at 2.64 only to find 9 months later it was arond 2.9. I can wait now. You lose some and you win some aye?
Old Jan 12th 2008, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look and see if you can get your money into a sterling account with an NZ bank. I know BNZ and Kiwibank do them.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Blimey........... just looked at the rates online and they're down to $2.49 to the pound.

Good news for many in NZ comparing their salary worldwide and means earnings will go further if you're travelling or buying things abroad.....

Roll on a stronger and stronger NZ dollar.............. yes i know many will moan that their cash does not convert so well but the the same people will moan that prices are to high and wages to low.

Keep the dollar strong and imports get cheaper meaning eventually prices come down and wages are made to seem more realistic on the world stage.

Yes it affects the export industry and the farmers plus the economy but hey you can't please everyone all the time.

The dairy industry will be the first to moan and push the economy side of a strong dollar again....i mean those dairy farmers and Frontera really are struggling money wise eh?................

Last edited by teambwr47; Jan 12th 2008 at 11:39 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

minky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really nice

Keep it in £ at the mo if you can as you can get sterling accounts here and wait for a better exchange rate it went to 2.4 in back in 2005 and last July was at 2.97 so it does change but with the credit crunch and America being in a bad way the rest of the world suffers it may be different this year.Also the 2 year fixed mortgage rates went up .2% this week so we are starting to feel the creditcrunch here too.