British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Storm (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/storm-686095/)

love30stm Sep 19th 2010 8:58 pm

Storm

Thought i might share the video I took on Saturday from inside my house at the storm outside thst left us with no power over the weekend

Jo-Chris Sep 19th 2010 11:48 pm

Re: Storm

Looks pretty bad - glad you got your power on eventually so you can log your experience on here! :thumbup:

nelsonpom Sep 20th 2010 10:49 am

Impressive storm, when it blows here in NZ it really seems to blow !!!!

Pointer Sep 20th 2010 11:50 am

BBQ weather in Scotland:)

nelsonpom Sep 20th 2010 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Pointer (Post 8861402)
BBQ weather in Scotland:)

Can you have a BBQ in Scotland ? Kinda sounds like a complete contradiction :rofl:

Pointer Sep 20th 2010 1:54 pm

Can you have a BBQ in Scotland
we do but we dont sit outside and eat it. one person holds the umbrella while the other turns the meat over assuming that is that you can get the coals lit.

otherwise we just use a frying pan and call it a BBQ:confused:

So looking forward to a BBQ down under with the sun shining

tiri Sep 20th 2010 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by love30stm (Post 8860086)
Thought i might share the video I took on Saturday from inside my house at the storm outside thst left us with no power over the weekend

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WVdGnmXXKlM

:rofl: there's two things I don't miss about NZ: the awful weather and powerlines. Not a great combination at the best of times!

janek Sep 20th 2010 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by tiri (Post 8862091)
:rofl: there's two things I don't miss about NZ: the awful weather and powerlines. Not a great combination at the best of times!

You're obviously not in Australia if you think it is going to be a 'stormless' or 'storm free country'. There's no shortage of bad weather all over Australia at certain time of the year, some of the wind storms come with fire attached!

Pollyana Sep 21st 2010 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by janek (Post 8862663)
You're obviously not in Australia if you think it is going to be a 'stormless' or 'storm free country'. There's no shortage of bad weather all over Australia at certain time of the year, some of the wind storms come with fire attached!

And most of the storms here bring down powerlines, some cyclones can cause blackouts lasting days.

tiri Sep 21st 2010 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by janek (Post 8862663)

Not yet I'm not but I soon will be. At least the houses are built better to withstand storms there, but rest assured I shall try to live somewhere that doesn't have too much of a problem with either fire or storms. It's a big enough continent so I'm sure I'll be able to find somewhere :D

I was just looking at a news report that said that upteen thousands of homes in northland were still without power after the storm, which century are we supposed to be living in ? ? ?

Jo-Chris Sep 21st 2010 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by tiri (Post 8865419)
I was just looking at a news report that said that upteen thousands of homes in northland were still without power after the storm, which century are we supposed to be living in ? ? ?

If you could see the amount of damage to the electricity network you may have a different opinon, the storm didn't really stop on a particular area but affected the whole of the North Island. ;)

janek Sep 21st 2010 7:37 pm

Not yet I'm not but I soon will be. At least the houses are built better to withstand storms there, but rest assured I shall try to live somewhere that doesn't have too much of a problem with either fire or storms. It's a big enough continent so I'm sure I'll be able to find somewhere :D

Indeed a very big country but not a lot of it is inhabitable. I am sure they will find room for you though....

You read news reports about a country you have a very obvious dislike for???

You might find the Australian newspapers more to your liking, and they would certainly be more relevant to you.

love30stm Sep 21st 2010 8:03 pm

omg Houses are built to withstand Earthquakes duh!!! :p and in our Road 3 power poles came down into the road, I dont think you appreciate what damage was caused!! crikey oh riley :blink:

love30stm Sep 21st 2010 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by tiri (Post 8862091)

Ive been here 3 years and this is the first time we have had power outage and this bad a storm, as for the weather? well its much better than the UK and we at least have a summer, you obviously just want to find negatives in New Zealand! enjoy Australia I'm sure it sounds like it will suit you :p

love30stm Sep 21st 2010 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Jo-Chris (Post 8860368)
Looks pretty bad - glad you got your power on eventually so you can log your experience on here! :thumbup:

Your welcome :)