Storm

Old Sep 21st 2010, 8:06 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Storm

Originally Posted by Pointer
BBQ weather in Scotland
Old Sep 21st 2010, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

tiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by love30stm
Ive been here 3 years and this is the first time we have had power outage and this bad a storm, as for the weather? well its much better than the UK and we at least have a summer, you obviously just want to find negatives in New Zealand! enjoy Australia I'm sure it sounds like it will suit you
Yes but in Britain the houses are built to withstand the weather and there's no way that power would be allowed to be out for so long to so many people - there'd be rioting in the streets

I must admit that it's not hard to find the negatives in New Zealand, but there are some that enjoy island life and all the best to them I say.

Australia will suit me down to the ground, perhaps you should give it a go too - you might be pleasantly surprised? Get a ticket and go over for Soundwave, let your hair down for a day. 30 STM will be there
http://www.soundwavefestival.com/lineup
Old Sep 21st 2010, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Its not hard to find negatives about any country, the forums on this website are full to the brim of negative experiences in many countries, its often what happens when people migrate to other cultures.

Take a tip from me; apart from 'never eating yellow snow' when you turn up in the paraidise that is Australia; don't tell them how to do things, because they don't like the UK way, not one little bit. On a previous thread you seemed to think this was a problem with the NZer, you have never worked in Australia have you? Good luck.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tiri
Yes but in Britain the houses are built to withstand the weather and there's no way that power would be allowed to be out for so long to so many people - there'd be rioting in the streets
You obviously don't remember the "sticky" snow of December 1990 then. Brought power lines down all over the country. Ours was off for 5 days!!
Didn't see any rioting!! Just remember being down the pub with candles on the tables & jugs of beer
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 12:21 am

I must admit that it's not hard to find the negatives in New Zealand, but there are some that enjoy island life and all the best to them I say.

Australia will suit me down to the ground, perhaps you should give it a go too - you might be pleasantly surprised? Get a ticket and go over for Soundwave, let your hair down for a day. 30 STM will be there
http://www.soundwavefestival.com/lineup
Re-read my thread I said New Zealand houses are made to easily fall down and not crush , bury and kill you in a earthquake!!!!...re Brick houses are NOT a good idea! duh

Australia! um the problem is its full of Australians but maybe in the future who knows! but for now we are enjoying it here...oh btw did you know NZ has got Internet, sky tv, concerts and electricity believe it or not and shops and bars and restaurants would you believe it??

And Soundwave i would only go for 30stm don't like the other line up! oh and btw 30 seconds to Mars have already been here and ive seen them in Auckland...really they actually did a concert in New Zealand omg unbelievable (sarcasm)
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 12:43 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Australia will suit me down to the ground
IĀ“ll bet you had the same view of NZ before you got here....
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light

there's no way that power would be allowed to be out for so long to so many people - there'd be rioting in the streets
People were without power for a long period for a couple of reasons:
1. It was an ongoing storm (and still is) so either the power is restored and then the network gets bashed again or it is unsafe for faultmen to work on the lines.
2. There are usually backfeeds in place so power can be brought in from other areas but because of the seriousness of the storm the backfeeds were also damaged, including broken steel reinforced concrete power poles!

There is no way of getting around this unless you put all the cables underground and who would like to pay for that on their electric bills? The UK also has the same problem as do many other countries with overground networks.

The attached picture is the remains of one of three trampolines in the high voltage lines during one night! This one travelled 200metres before coming to rest
Attached Thumbnails Storm-trampoline-lines.jpg  
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

tiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by janek
Its not hard to find negatives about any country, the forums on this website are full to the brim of negative experiences in many countries, its often what happens when people migrate to other cultures.

Take a tip from me; apart from 'never eating yellow snow' when you turn up in the paraidise that is Australia; don't tell them how to do things, because they don't like the UK way, not one little bit. On a previous thread you seemed to think this was a problem with the NZer, you have never worked in Australia have you? Good luck.
er, yes I have, a few years ago I was there for 6 months and I loved it, had the time of my life. God knows what made me think that NZ would be the same - big mistake ah well we live and learn!

As I said, you should get yourself some soundwave tickets and let your hair down, live a little.

Last edited by tiri; Sep 22nd 2010 at 2:48 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 8:29 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

...I was there for 6 months and I loved it...
Like NZ, Australia isnĀ“t the same evrywhere.... hope you settle ok.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, that's why I sussed it out before I left. That's the beauty of Australia for me though - plenty to chose from, lots of different jobs, no requirement to have "kiwi experience" to get work. And if somewhere doesn't suit you move on to somewhere that does, it's no biggie.

I can't understand why people stick it out in NZ when life is so much easier just a short distance away.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 8:51 pm
It is what it is Member

I can't understand why people stick it out in NZ when life is so much easier just a short distance away.
Because not everyone is the same, if we were we would all live in the same corner of the world....
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by love30stm
Re-read my thread I said New Zealand houses are made to easily fall down and not crush , bury and kill you in a earthquake!!!!...re Brick houses are NOT a good idea! duh
But that isn't much good if you can't use your toilet or your pillings have moved.

Australia! um the problem is its full of Australians but maybe in the future who knows! but for now we are enjoying it here...oh btw did you know NZ has got Internet, sky tv, concerts and electricity believe it or not and shops and bars and restaurants would you believe it??
Problem with NZ is that it's full of Kiwis (Australia is too! ) it has electricity, which is great if you don't want to use more than one appliance at a time in the same room.

And Soundwave i would only go for 30stm don't like the other line up! oh and btw 30 seconds to Mars have already been here and ive seen them in Auckland...really they actually did a concert in New Zealand omg unbelievable (sarcasm)
Oh you should go, you might like some of the other bands, go just for the atmosphere if nothing else as it's such good value for money. It knocks The Big Day Out into a cocked hat. You could fit in a shopping trip whilst you're over and get some nice clothes. There's only so much a girl can get from Farmers.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by simonsi
Because not everyone is the same, if we were we would all live in the same corner of the world....
True, that's probably why there are so many Kiwis in Australia.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 9:06 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

We already have one NZ vs Oz thread ... let's keep this one on topic please.

STORM .....

I am completely over it now. Sitting here listening to more rain and more wind, yuk. When's it going to stop?!
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by Am Loolah

We already have one NZ vs Oz thread ... let's keep this one on topic please.

STORM .....

I am completely over it now. Sitting here listening to more rain and more wind, yuk. When's it going to stop?!
completely agree

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.