Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Store cupboard question

Store cupboard question

Old May 19th 2013, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Store cupboard question

I always presumed I'd be able to bring the dry goods in my kitchen cupboards - unopened cans etc (I admit I'm a 'bulk buying when on offer' girl)
Reading through the shippers bumph it says NO FOOD
And what about bottles of washing liquid and conditioner? Shampoo?
Old May 19th 2013, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

AndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Store cupboard question

We've brought food, drink, toiletries, all sorts with us before, there and back, never been a problem.
Old May 19th 2013, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you can bring those sorts of things on the whole.

BUT my view was - we are going to live here for a long time (for ever?). I can't keep on bringing stuff over from the UK so I'd better start finding out what suits me here.

And I've had some pleasant surprises

Also when desperate, we do have an English shop, and I currently have Heinz Tomato Soup, a box of Shreddies, and Birds Custard powder, in our cupboard.

Jan
Old May 19th 2013, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

N
Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
Yes you can bring those sorts of things on the whole.

BUT my view was - we are going to live here for a long time (for ever?). I can't keep on bringing stuff over from the UK so I'd better start finding out what suits me here.

And I've had some pleasant surprises

Also when desperate, we do have an English shop, and I currently have Heinz Tomato Soup, a box of Shreddies, and Birds Custard powder, in our cupboard.

Jan
Don't get me wrong I have no problem with NZ fare. I just have LOTS of things in my cupboard and I'd hate it to go to waste! I only buy hot choc powder and washing liquid when its on offer and then i buy several.
Old May 19th 2013, 8:30 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by j19fmm
I always presumed I'd be able to bring the dry goods in my kitchen cupboards - unopened cans etc (I admit I'm a 'bulk buying when on offer' girl)
Um, washing up liquid, shampoo and conditioner isn't food. We didn't bring any food or the like with us when we relocated. However, there's the cosmetics and toiletries that we had anyway i.e. perfume, moisturiser, aftershave etc I doubt customs would get that picky if it was loaded on your container with the rest of your possessions ?

If it's not commercial quantities of non-food items then maybe it might be ok ?

Basically, if you shipped it and it got confiscated by customs, would you really be that miffed ?

P.S. it did make me smile when I saw the packers wrapping the contents of the larder in Christchurch, NZ to move to Wanganui, NZ just so I could unpack cornflour, tinned tomatoes etc on arrival in Wanganui on the North Island.

Last edited by Snap Shot; May 19th 2013 at 8:35 pm.
Old May 19th 2013, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I brought all my spices, tea bags etc and also brought washing powder, cleaners (not aerosols) but anything else which was either brand new or almost full. No-one even mentioned it and the only items to put on the customs forms was the spices etc , and nothing was said.

The only thing I did was put all that sort of thing in one box and make sure it was one of the last things loaded in the container and that you knew the box number, that way if customs were interested in it, it was easy to find.
Old May 20th 2013, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

dorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to all

Make sure you declare any food - probably not a problem but best not to raise any hackles with customs
Old May 20th 2013, 6:44 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by j19fmm
Your goods will be inside a steel container spending a fair time crossing the equator and will be subject to intense heat and night/morning condensation problems. Leakage is the worry......
Old May 20th 2013, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Um, washing up liquid, shampoo and conditioner isn't food.
I know it's not food, that was a seperate issue!