British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Stopovers/Singapore (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/stopovers-singapore-488369/)

Steve and the Dragon Oct 19th 2007 10:18 pm

Stopovers/Singapore

Departing soon, looks to us that Singapore hotels are a bit worrying. Either hugely expensive or pits with bed bugs (tripadvisor). Anyone stopped over, and any advice on hotels? Obviously the Singapore Sling in the Long Bar goes without saying!!!!

Thanks for any input.
Steve and the Dragon

Jingsamichty Oct 19th 2007 10:55 pm

Re: Stopovers/Singapore

I can highly recommend the Scarlet Hotel, near to Chinatown. Decent rates and very stylish rooms, a great change from all the bland chain hotels. Only a 10-15 minute walk up to Clarke Quay and Boat Quay too.

happynz Oct 19th 2007 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by Steve and the Dragon (Post 5445498)
Anyone stopped over, and any advice on hotels? Obviously the Singapore Sling in the Long Bar goes without saying!!!!
Steve and the Dragon

You may well be shocked by the price of one of those Singapore Slings. If you get one, keep the glass - you've paid for it!

:cool:

Dustybin Oct 20th 2007 1:44 am

prince of wales in little india, clean rooms and dorms above a great pub with the sort of staff that make it hard to leave!

:thumbsup:

Englishmum Oct 20th 2007 2:10 am

This website (see link below) was highly recommended on the http://www.flyertalk.com website for frequent flyers as the rates are better than on the Priceline/Expedia/Travelocity type sites:

http://www.precisionreservations.com...re-hotels.html

(I used to live in Singapore.....you may wish to avoid Geylang as it is a red-light area and in some of the hotels will not openly rent-by-the-hour but instead use the term (short-term) "transit" rooms LOL!) ;)

nelsonpom Oct 20th 2007 4:45 am

Originally Posted by Steve and the Dragon (Post 5445498)
Departing soon, looks to us that Singapore hotels are a bit worrying. Either hugely expensive or pits with bed bugs (tripadvisor). Anyone stopped over, and any advice on hotels? Obviously the Singapore Sling in the Long Bar goes without saying!!!!

Thanks for any input.
Steve and the Dragon

We booked one of the accom deals that singapore airlines were offering which was pretty good (swimming pool, nice rooms,clean and good food).
Also you must get some reflexology whilst your there, I am a reflexologist and have to say you wont get any better (painful tho!) I can recommend the people's park complex, there are so many places to choose from, and all so cheap $20 for an hour!! Orchid collection at the botanical garden was also amazing.
Darren and Vick

shell and mark Oct 20th 2007 7:47 am

hi steve
we are arriving in singapore on monday:D...we looked everywhere for digs that were not to expensive ...we came up with the YWCA near orchard road which is good for the shopping.i think we have paid 35 pound a night and the reviews are good

happy hunting:thumbsup:
shell and mark

Steve and the Dragon Oct 20th 2007 10:03 am

Thanks everybody for all your good advice. We'll check out all your suggestions (after watching England give the Springboks a drubbing today, of course).

Nelsonpom, what was the name of your hotel as we really do want one with a pool?

Steve and the Dragon

nelsonpom Oct 21st 2007 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Steve and the Dragon (Post 5446698)
Thanks everybody for all your good advice. We'll check out all your suggestions (after watching England give the Springboks a drubbing today, of course).

Nelsonpom, what was the name of your hotel as we really do want one with a pool?

Steve and the Dragon

Will ask my better half as I have the memory of a fish.
Darren

happynz Oct 21st 2007 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by shell and mark (Post 5446340)
we came up with the YWCA near orchard road which is good for the shopping.i think we have paid 35 pound a night and the reviews are good

happy hunting:thumbsup:
shell and mark

The YMCA near Orchard Road is good value.

nelsonpom Oct 21st 2007 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by nelsonpom (Post 5449798)
Will ask my better half as I have the memory of a fish.
Darren

Stayed at Fujirama. But you have to book thru Singapore airlines to get deal. They call it a singapore stopover. They pick you up from airport and give you lots of free vouchers and discounted stuff. Well worth it I thought. We spent 3 happy days there.
Darren

Steve and the Dragon Oct 21st 2007 10:14 pm

Thanks Nelsonpom. Will look hotel up on internet. I flew with Singapore airlines last time I went to NZ - I only stayed in Changi airport at Singapore.
I found S/A very good - someone collapsed on the flight (this was at the height of bird flu) and the crew asked if there was a doctor on board - there were 5!!!

The Dragon

PS Hubby has memory of fish too!
Love the Eddie Izzard joke about the goldfish's 20 second memory!!!