Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Stop over's on route, any suggestions?

Stop over's on route, any suggestions?

Old Aug 30th 2010, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Toon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to all
Default Stop over's on route, any suggestions?

Alreeet folks, gonna book our flights sometime this week I think, anyways, any tips on good stop over places?

We've done the old California drive from San Fran to San Diego so I'd rather not go via the States if possible, maybe Bangkok, Hong Kong or Malaysia, something for a few days maybe just to break up the journey?

............and on a BA route if possible as it's the only carrier I get a free upgrade with!!
Old Aug 30th 2010, 5:08 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stop over's on route, any suggestions?

Originally Posted by Toon_Nut
Alreeet folks, gonna book our flights sometime this week I think, anyways, any tips on good stop over places?

We've done the old California drive from San Fran to San Diego so I'd rather not go via the States if possible, maybe Bangkok, Hong Kong or Malaysia, something for a few days maybe just to break up the journey?

............and on a BA route if possible as it's the only carrier I get a free upgrade with!!
HK or KL for shopping, culture and the buzz.....Langkawi (via KL) for a chill out....don't know if BA will get you there though...
B x
Old Aug 30th 2010, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

So long as Bk is safe now I'd go for that. It is such an awesome place. Sp is just too perfect and whilst I have not been to Hk I am lead to believe whilst it is very, very exciting it does not have the same 'edge' that Bk will give you. Bk is more 'alien' than Hk IMO, I like that in a place. Somewhere that is really, really diffo. Again been to Kl and out of the 3 Bk is really the best. Penang is the place I would visit if I was to go thru' malaysia..really beautiful with lots of colonial buildings. Don't think you need anti malarial in Bk either these days..only if you are venturing outside the city.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Toon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to all

I must admit, Bk is my first choice to be fair. How many days do you think before I went loopy in the place, is three nights about right or longer?
Old Aug 31st 2010, 12:45 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that you have already excluded the delights of a stop over at LAX.....such freindly staff

Seriously for a short stop over you can't beat Singapore - the airport even do tours of the city for stop overs of between 5 and 12 hours.

For a few days, there's plenty to see and do there as well.

Bangkok has a great vibe but like someone said how it will be just now is a risk.

Hong Kong would be great too.

In fact anywhere except the good 'ol US of A ......
Old Aug 31st 2010, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit, Bk is my first choice to be fair. How many days do you think before I went loopy in the place, is three nights about right or longer?
I think I would go for 5. You know on the 3rd day you will wish you had more time!!!!!! It is such a coooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool place. Yummy food and great natives too.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow
Sorry to hear that you have already excluded the delights of a stop over at LAX.....such freindly staff

Seriously for a short stop over you can't beat Singapore - the airport even do tours of the city for stop overs of between 5 and 12 hours.

For a few days, there's plenty to see and do there as well.

Bangkok has a great vibe but like someone said how it will be just now is a risk.

Hong Kong would be great too.

In fact anywhere except the good 'ol US of A ......
I too am really 'off' the US. I used to be a USophile. I am sick of the gready tip culture and how you get a surcharge ABOVE the tip in some places if there are more than 5 of you..WTF!!!!!!?????????????????????????????????? I also hate the way I was treated like a criminal last time I was at SF p/p control. Foul, nasty bullying thugs. Mind you I was with my wife and three babies so I guess I was considered a high risk crim. Or just someone to push around and have a bit of fun with. Take your pick. I will be a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooog before I ever visit the US ever again. Am off to the UK this xmas..am going and coming back via the east.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 7:03 am
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MnB
HK or KL for shopping, culture and the buzz.....Langkawi (via KL) for a chill out....don't know if BA will get you there though...
B x
Nearest BA could get there would be a One World Cathay cx721/0 and thats only as far as Penang..
Old Aug 31st 2010, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

We are stopping over in HK for a few days and seeing Jos sister.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

zoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nice

Singapore, Singapore, Singapore!

Hope this helps!
Old Aug 31st 2010, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

Mrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really nice

We're having 3 days in Sydney as a late minimoon!
Old Aug 31st 2010, 11:42 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I will put another vote in for Bangkok though KL and Singapore also good choices. Haven't been to HK so cannot comment on that.

Bangkok has plenty to do for a few days, not just of the adult night time variety that we're all well aware of...! There's the Grand Palace, Wat Po with it's enormous reclining Buddha, climb up Wat Arum, take a ferry or tourist boat up the river, take a trip out of town to the bridge on the river Kwai and just take in the sights, smells and general difference in culture. Obviously all depends on the safety situation at the time.
I detest the new airport though, too linear and not a lot to do but the plan is to spend as little time there as possible, right!

As an alternative as Wooly says, you can go for the 2 hour stopover in LA where you will get the experience of being treated like a criminal [fingerprinted, questioned, shut in a windowless room and if you're really lucky; searched] Hard choice isn't it??

To anyone travelling this route I am exaggerating somewhat, it is ok really just a frustrating experience in my opinion!
Old Sep 1st 2010, 10:28 am
Banned

danjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nice

bangkok is good!
Old Sep 1st 2010, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

All fantastic suggestions folks, really appreciate ya feedback.

So, we've gone for.......................................dat da da da da da dahhhhhhhhh!

LA!

'Twas the only real viable option for us when we weighed everything up, it's ONLY 31hrs door to door and was only £720 each with BA, so that'll be champers at the pointy end all the way to LAX!

Cattle class from there though with Qantas, beggars can't be choosers eh!
Old Sep 1st 2010, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Lynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant future

All fantastic suggestions folks, really appreciate ya feedback.

So, we've gone for.......................................dat da da da da da dahhhhhhhhh!

LA!

'Twas the only real viable option for us when we weighed everything up, it's ONLY 31hrs door to door and was only £720 each with BA, so that'll be champers at the pointy end all the way to LAX!

Cattle class from there though with Qantas, beggars can't be choosers eh!
Were looking at flights atm and flying out Glasgow to CHCH via LA is around £2700 2 adults, 2 kids one way this is with Air New Zealand and staying 4 nights in LA more like Santa Monica !!! Will double check fares with BA/Quantas first tho,we may be transiting at the same time what are your dates???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.