Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

To stop over, or not to stop over???

To stop over, or not to stop over???

Old Aug 10th 2006, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To stop over, or not to stop over???

Originally Posted by danny.f
Having done LA, never again-horrendous place. Singapore seems to be popular-is it child friendly,stuff for them to do,etc!?
Danny there's plenty of stuff for children in Sing.
The zoo, next door is a night safari, bird world, Sentosa beach area, museums, macdonalds everywhere! the botanic gardens are great to run around in and the orchid garden section is very pretty.
If you are going through Nov-dec you'll get the lights in Little India - for Depawalli, and all the christmas lights and displays outside all the big shops in Orchard Road. Tanglin Mall usually has a snow machine that our kids always loved (the snow is like the bubbles of washing up bubbles that blow all over the place. Cinemas. shops with wonderful aircon for your wife
Singapore slings at Raffles, The taxis are good value and the MRT trains and buses are excellent value only a few $.
The airport itself is the worlds best, clean, friendly, lots to do as people have said.
helinuk
Old Aug 10th 2006, 7:33 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: To stop over, or not to stop over???

Originally Posted by DiffordA
Has anyone got any words of wisdom regarding whether or not it is worth considering a stop over when flying to NZ. I am quite happy flying but have never gone quite so far. Does it help to have a break in the flight when you have so much to face at the other end, i.e. starting a new life!!
We flew out in April for 3 weeks with 4 children aged 13, 11, 7 and 3. We managed to book our flights, airport - hotel transfers, hotels etc all in one go with the travel agent side of lastminute.com. Very well organised. We stayed in Singapore which was lovely - incredibly clean and child friendly. But beware - we hadn't planned for the heat and humidity and had dressed for a full on air conditioned flight and getting to Auckland in their Autumn - ended up having to buy t-shirts in Singapore! Would definately do again and take a longer break to explore the city further.

Caroline
Old Aug 10th 2006, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
We flew out in April for 3 weeks with 4 children aged 13, 11, 7 and 3. We managed to book our flights, airport - hotel transfers, hotels etc all in one go with the travel agent side of lastminute.com. Very well organised. We stayed in Singapore which was lovely - incredibly clean and child friendly. But beware - we hadn't planned for the heat and humidity and had dressed for a full on air conditioned flight and getting to Auckland in their Autumn - ended up having to buy t-shirts in Singapore! Would definately do again and take a longer break to explore the city further.

Caroline
True the heat and humidity take a while to adjust to.
We found we often had to take cardies/sweatshirts to restaurants because the aircon was so cold! We reckoned they did it to make people eat their meal quickly and they got a quicker turn over of customers
Helinuk
Old Aug 10th 2006, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helinuk
Danny there's plenty of stuff for children in Sing.
The zoo, next door is a night safari, bird world, Sentosa beach area, museums, macdonalds everywhere! the botanic gardens are great to run around in and the orchid garden section is very pretty.
If you are going through Nov-dec you'll get the lights in Little India - for Depawalli, and all the christmas lights and displays outside all the big shops in Orchard Road. Tanglin Mall usually has a snow machine that our kids always loved (the snow is like the bubbles of washing up bubbles that blow all over the place. Cinemas. shops with wonderful aircon for your wife
Singapore slings at Raffles, The taxis are good value and the MRT trains and buses are excellent value only a few $.
The airport itself is the worlds best, clean, friendly, lots to do as people have said.
helinuk
Is that in the capital? That sounds fantastic,would give the kids something different to do. Thanks for the tip Helen.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Is that in the capital? That sounds fantastic,would give the kids something different to do. Thanks for the tip Helen.
Oh lucky you. I only had a few hours at the airport last time and it was just me and the kids but we went on one of the free tours and I loved the look of Singapore and would definately have a holiday there. We had a couple of weeks in Hong Kong as my sister lived there but now she has moved to Dubai so I expect if we go back again will have to go there. Dont really float my boat though.
I have also flown straight through, when I went back in 2004, I went on my own, was 12 weeks pregnant on the way there and 16 on the way back, also had to go to Germany whilst there, the whole trip was very tiring.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jude J
Oh lucky you. I only had a few hours at the airport last time and it was just me and the kids but we went on one of the free tours and I loved the look of Singapore and would definately have a holiday there. We had a couple of weeks in Hong Kong as my sister lived there but now she has moved to Dubai so I expect if we go back again will have to go there. Dont really float my boat though.
I have also flown straight through, when I went back in 2004, I went on my own, was 12 weeks pregnant on the way there and 16 on the way back, also had to go to Germany whilst there, the whole trip was very tiring.
Wanted to take the kids to Florida (i know,i know!) but just don't think it's worth it anymore. Think the Americans are just making themselves more and more inaccesible now so can't be bothered with the whole USA anymore.
Have heard loads of people raving about Singapore/Thailand so am gonna give it a go. Pregnant or not!
Old Aug 11th 2006, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Wanted to take the kids to Florida (i know,i know!) but just don't think it's worth it anymore. Think the Americans are just making themselves more and more inaccesible now so can't be bothered with the whole USA anymore.
Have heard loads of people raving about Singapore/Thailand so am gonna give it a go. Pregnant or not!

Good for you. We wanted to go S'Pore, but went LA, purely for the extra luggage allowance. We stayed 1 wk at Long Beach and had a fab time, with very friendly americans everywhere, and much cheaper than UK. I'm pleased that we went, cos USA was never on my list of places to go, but it was much nicer than I had expected.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Boopy
Good for you. We wanted to go S'Pore, but went LA, purely for the extra luggage allowance. We stayed 1 wk at Long Beach and had a fab time, with very friendly americans everywhere, and much cheaper than UK. I'm pleased that we went, cos USA was never on my list of places to go, but it was much nicer than I had expected.
S'pose it depends how well we time it-if we don't need that much luggage,then S'pore it is. Thanks for PM reply by the way-gotta go but will email later. Take care.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

LOL Singapore is a city and Singapore a country all in one 4 mil. people squished into the island the size of Isle of Wight. But I loved it's busyness, you could come out of movies/theatre and always find a restaurant, hawker stall open. And I just felt my kids were safe there
Old Aug 11th 2006, 10:14 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Took the wife their when she was 6 months pregnant (and during sars). So no worries
Old Aug 11th 2006, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Not pregs,thank God. How long is advisable? Believe it isn't expensive,was thinking a week will suffice. No hand luggage is a git. Wonder how long that'll go on for? Not that we're going tomorrow! Hopefully it'll be sorted before November,just told work my leaving date,end of October. Have it!!
Old Aug 11th 2006, 11:47 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Not pregs,thank God. How long is advisable? Believe it isn't expensive,was thinking a week will suffice. No hand luggage is a git. Wonder how long that'll go on for? Not that we're going tomorrow! Hopefully it'll be sorted before November,just told work my leaving date,end of October. Have it!!
2 or 3 nights should be sufficient unless you are treating it as a holiday in itself.

Things to do:
Singapore Zoo
Shopping
Eating
Changi prision museum (well I found it interesting anyway)
Raffles hotel - you have to order a Singapore Sling and munch some nuts.
Never seem to get around to the beach (to busy eating with relatives and playing golf with friends)
Try chilli crab at Jumbos on the east coast seafood court.
You should get some good hotel rates with the airlines.
Old Aug 12th 2006, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by thebears
2 or 3 nights should be sufficient unless you are treating it as a holiday in itself.

Things to do:
Singapore Zoo
Shopping
Eating
Changi prision museum (well I found it interesting anyway)
Raffles hotel - you have to order a Singapore Sling and munch some nuts.
Never seem to get around to the beach (to busy eating with relatives and playing golf with friends)
Try chilli crab at Jumbos on the east coast seafood court.
You should get some good hotel rates with the airlines.
Some fabulous tips there!! However I've just checked the bottom of the page,I'm the only one in the NZ forum right now!! Cool. I've taken my clothes off-there's no one here!! Woooooohooooo!! Hello? Hellllooooo? This is superb-no-one here,and I'm talking to myself. Except for Sue and Pinky poo the moderators who are just watching me go nuts on my todd.
What can I do whilst I'm on my own. Sod all,actually this is crap.Need someone to talk to.
Actually,I'm the only member-there is a visitor who's just watching. PERVERT! Go away,loon.Or join and have a conflab yer boring git.
Right,got to nip out to see if anyone's come in yet. Yes-I've had coffee. See you in a mo.
Old Aug 12th 2006, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Crap-lapsed kiwi's here-gotta behave. My sister was a Conference Manager/Organiser for Raffles-Iknow she's been out there and loved it. Think she's with Rocco Forte now. Got a transfer last year-£18 mill plus a bellboy for her. She's just getting fit before her first conference.
Old Aug 12th 2006, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Some fabulous tips there!! However I've just checked the bottom of the page,I'm the only one in the NZ forum right now!! Cool. I've taken my clothes off-there's no one here!! Woooooohooooo!! Hello? Hellllooooo? This is superb-no-one here,and I'm talking to myself. Except for Sue and Pinky poo the moderators who are just watching me go nuts on my todd.
What can I do whilst I'm on my own. Sod all,actually this is crap.Need someone to talk to.
Actually,I'm the only member-there is a visitor who's just watching. PERVERT! Go away,loon.Or join and have a conflab yer boring git.
Right,got to nip out to see if anyone's come in yet. Yes-I've had coffee. See you in a mo.
Put them clothes back on!!! :scared: Might bring me labour on a bit too soon!!! You really are going mad arnt you!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.