British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   To stop over, or not to stop over??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/stop-over-not-stop-over-388862/)

DiffordA Aug 5th 2006 12:09 pm

To stop over, or not to stop over???

Has anyone got any words of wisdom regarding whether or not it is worth considering a stop over when flying to NZ. I am quite happy flying but have never gone quite so far. Does it help to have a break in the flight when you have so much to face at the other end, i.e. starting a new life!! :)

beaudixon Aug 5th 2006 1:55 pm

Re: To stop over, or not to stop over???

Originally Posted by DiffordA
Has anyone got any words of wisdom regarding whether or not it is worth considering a stop over when flying to NZ. I am quite happy flying but have never gone quite so far. Does it help to have a break in the flight when you have so much to face at the other end, i.e. starting a new life!! :)

Hi,

It depends if you're travelling alone! Neil went out a few months ago just to finalise some details and went direct (with 3hrs stopover at Singapore airport). Didn't suffer with jet lag going out but did on the way back - not helped by the fact he was only in NZ a week with a long list of things to do from me (like paperwork for work visa, find a house and car - minor things!!!).
However when we go in October (with a 4 & 2 yr olds) we are having 2 nights stopover in Singapore. This way we have night flights each leg and the children should sleep most of it!! Hopefully!!! Hope this helps.

thebears Aug 5th 2006 2:58 pm

Stop off for 2 nights. Turning up looking like shite wont help when going for jobs, houses or a car.

danny.f Aug 5th 2006 6:03 pm

Stop off bro. We stopped in LA for 3 days,then the 12 flight on was hard but bareable,on way back,went for it and was ill for a week. And besides,whats the hurry?

Winnie Aug 5th 2006 7:44 pm

Stop off!! We stopped at Thailand for a week. After all the organising and panicking at the UK end, and knowing we had a lot to sort out in NZ once we arrived, we decided to have a holiday on the way. Arrived in NZ refreshed, relaxed and ready to start our new life.
Go for it!

SarahB Aug 6th 2006 2:41 am

We did a stop off in LA for 3 days on the way here mainly because we had a 19 month old with us. I didnt think much to where we stayed and getting a decent meal was near enough impossible (I mean one that wasnt burgers or pancakes) BUT I was glad to have the break from the flight. I would probably stop off again but not for so long and definately not in LA.

westies Aug 6th 2006 3:13 am

We stopped in Dubai for a couple of weeks, and had a well deserved break before arrival

Andrew Cross Aug 6th 2006 5:31 am

Yep, stop off. We had a three days in HongKong and then four days in Sydney before we arrived. Its was lovely to get into a nice comfy bed after two long flights. It also helped with the jet-lag. It was also going to be the only holiday that we were going to have this year too.... :D

Apple12 Aug 6th 2006 6:21 am

How could you not stop off? There is a big wide world out there, why not take advantage of being in places you never thought you would get too. I have stopped over in Thailand, Vancouver, Fiji, South Africa, Singapore, and KL. The advantage of going via LA is the enormous luggage allowance, but the downside is that then you are in LA. If you are starting on a new adventure, an exciting time in your life, why not take a day or two, or a week to see somewere completely different. Even travelling with kids should not put you off. Take advantage of travelling on pounds while you can!

P18PPS Aug 6th 2006 6:27 am

We were too excited to stop off, we did the 26 hours via LA with a 11 month old and an 8 year old, glad we did it this way too even though the jet-lag mum suffered was bad. We had 4 days before starting a new job in Auckland so had time to refresh. Not sure we could have even done a 1 night stop-over mid-way - just too excited about getting here.

Boopy Aug 6th 2006 6:56 am

We stopped off at LA, 1 week in Long Beach. A lovely relaxing week before coming to NZ.

DiffordA Aug 6th 2006 8:14 am

Thanks to you all for your thoughts! :)

I have, of course been very tempted by the idea of seeing a bit more of the world on the way around and so I think I may go for this option and have a bit of a break. Especially as I have family with a plush apartment in Singapore - would be silly to miss that opportunity I reckon!! I feel I will just be desperate to get there by then and so excited but I will just have to push that aside and remember I have the rest of my life to enjoy it once I get there!

Thanks again everyone! :)

helinuk Aug 6th 2006 10:12 pm

Thanks to you all for your thoughts! :)

I have, of course been very tempted by the idea of seeing a bit more of the world on the way around and so I think I may go for this option and have a bit of a break. Especially as I have family with a plush apartment in Singapore - would be silly to miss that opportunity I reckon!! I feel I will just be desperate to get there by then and so excited but I will just have to push that aside and remember I have the rest of my life to enjoy it once I get there!

Thanks again everyone! :)

Definately stop over! I've flown to OZ straight and with stop overs it's bearable but if you have time take a break. Go for the Singapore break with family if its free! Having lived there and travelled around a bit I love the far east!
I wouldn't mind trying Dubai next time though :)

urbanproject Aug 10th 2006 9:19 am

Definitely stop over :) Flying out for 24hrs plus is never good and is really tiring :zzz: You can take a few days holiday during the stop if you can ;) We stopped in Singapore for 3 nights on the way to Auckland, it was a very good call and very fun as neither myself or my partner had visited before. Arrived in NZ pretty rested and ready to go.

It will give you the opportuinity to travel somewhere you might never have visited before too.

Good luck,

Jen :)

danny.f Aug 10th 2006 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by urbanproject
Definitely stop over :) Flying out for 24hrs plus is never good and is really tiring :zzz: You can take a few days holiday during the stop if you can ;) We stopped in Singapore for 3 nights on the way to Auckland, it was a very good call and very fun as neither myself or my partner had visited before. Arrived in NZ pretty rested and ready to go.

It will give you the opportuinity to travel somewhere you might never have visited before too.

Good luck,

Jen :)

Having done LA, never again-horrendous place. Singapore seems to be popular-is it child friendly,stuff for them to do,etc!?