British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Stop Over Hotels in Dubai Singapore & OZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/stop-over-hotels-dubai-singapore-oz-628299/)

AngelaandJim Aug 30th 2009 3:45 pm

Stop Over Hotels in Dubai Singapore & OZ

Hi all,

We are coming over in Oct for a reccie but due to my blood disorder i have to fly via Dubai, Singapore & Melbourne. We are having a 2 night stop in Dubai 1 in Singapore and 1 in Melbourne. We were going to book the Hilton at the Airport for Melbourne can anyone recommend hotels in Dubai & Singapore please.

Thanks in advance

Angela ;)

BEVS Aug 30th 2009 10:33 pm

Re: Stop Over Hotels in Dubai Singapore & OZ

Hey guys.

I have been asking about hotels in Dubai HERE

Husband is booked into the Arabian Courtyard but won't be able to comment on the hotel until after he gets back around the 19th Sept.

banjax Aug 30th 2009 10:36 pm

tripadvisor.com is what I think you are looking for. Please post your experience after you have been.

AngelaandJim Aug 30th 2009 10:46 pm

Thank you all help gratefully received.

Bevs let me know how your hubby gets on please:)

Angela :)

Am Loolah Aug 30th 2009 11:39 pm

Hi Angela,

We stayed at Royal Queens in Singapore which was fine.:thumbsup:

Matewx Aug 30th 2009 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by banjax (Post 7889801)
tripadvisor.com is what I think you are looking for. Please post your experience after you have been.

I am not a huge fan of tripadvisor...

Reason being some people use it as a whingein place... If you clik on some travellers, you will see all they do is complain complain complain... So alwys put thing into perspective me thinks!

For exmaple, where I work on tripadvisor we are very low but on booking.com or expedia we have high comments! The latest two using a system called stay & comment, where you can only comment once you booked through them & actually stayed....

I guess my point is that with tripadvisor, you can easily go & ruin your competitors rankings & reviews... Therefore making the website, not useless, but kind of!

banjax Aug 31st 2009 1:11 am

Now that's interesting because I was introduced to trip advisor by two different travellers that post reviews. What Hotels do recommend in Auckland that are toddler friendly? We will be arriving in mid November?

P2L Aug 31st 2009 3:53 am

:thumbsup:

Originally Posted by AngelaandJim (Post 7889041)
Hi all,

We are coming over in Oct for a reccie but due to my blood disorder i have to fly via Dubai, Singapore & Melbourne. We are having a 2 night stop in Dubai 1 in Singapore and 1 in Melbourne. We were going to book the Hilton at the Airport for Melbourne can anyone recommend hotels in Dubai & Singapore please.

Thanks in advance

Angela ;)

As you are only staying over for 1 night, you might consider the transit hotel at Changi.

http://athmg.com/

I haven't used it, but know of plenty who have and believe me, there are worse places than Changi to hang out for a day :thumbup:

( Lots of shopping too, but we won't tell Jim ;):sneaky:)

truditjh Aug 31st 2009 4:16 pm

1 Attachment(s)
In Singapore we stayed at the Crowne Plaza (there and back) attached to Changi airport, fantastic place and would stop there again at the drop of a hat. You simply walk through customs, out of the doors up to the left and you are at reception, its as easy as that, plus there is the metro system attached to the airport if you want to go into Singapore its really easy and cheap to :) Pic is of the pool at Crowne Plaza.
As for trip advisor I find it useful to look at other people pics on there rather than using what the hotel/resort want you to see. :thumbsup:

AngelaandJim Aug 31st 2009 4:44 pm

Hi

We have looked at both the Changi and the Crowne Plaza. The Crowne Plaza looks great. We are trying to change our flights at the moment so we can get out for longer but it's a nightmare having problems with flight from singapore to melbourne may end up in singapore for 2 days instead of 1 going back to travel agent tomorrow to hopefully get it sorted. :fingerscrossed:

Thanks for all your help

Angela ;)

Margaret Parkinson Aug 31st 2009 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by P2L (Post 7890326)
:thumbsup:

As you are only staying over for 1 night, you might consider the transit hotel at Changi.

http://athmg.com/

I haven't used it, but know of plenty who have and believe me, there are worse places than Changi to hang out for a day :thumbup:

( Lots of shopping too, but we won't tell Jim ;):sneaky:)

We have used the the Transit Hotel (Ambassador) 3 times at Changi and its very good. The good thing about it as well is that you do not have to collect your luggage until you are in NZ. If you stay over in Singapore you have to collect it and check it in again the day after. You do not have to do this if you are in transit. We have a 15 hour wait between flights so we book the hotel for 8 hours.

AngelaandJim Sep 2nd 2009 8:07 pm

Hi

I have discovered wotif.com and got great deals on the hilton at melbourne airport king room for £80 and the grand mercure roxy in singapore deluxe room for £66 just to sort out rip off dubai now

PatLiz Sep 2nd 2009 8:47 pm

We've also booked the hilton for in Melbourne; and are having a room in Dubai booked through Trailfinders. I shall let you know where that is once I've found out - in fact, I'll go and see if they've updated our booking yet.