British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Stocking up? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/stocking-up-376031/)

nickcharliepark May 27th 2006 4:20 pm

Stocking up?

Hi

Is there anything we should stock up on for our planned move to NZ? Things that can be shipped that we may not be able to buy/like over there? I seem to recall everyone saying that extension leads are a good buy, so we will get plenty of them - anything else that people wished they had packed/bought sent etc?

Thanks

Nick

xpat19 May 27th 2006 8:33 pm

Re: Stocking up?

We still pine for our microwave with oven and grill.
When we first moved here they weren't even heard of - now you can get a micro with grill but they cost a fortune so we wish we'd bought that.
Also those little sachets of parsley sauce, yum !!

Andrew Cross May 27th 2006 8:56 pm

Anything you like and would miss from the uk. If you like chocolate bring a few bars in your case, it doesnt taste the same here. Wish I had brought more bits with me, i'd love a trip to tesco's....hehe :)

sky May 27th 2006 10:38 pm

I wish I'd brought a couple of years supply of hayfever tablets ... the cheap Sainsbury brand that only cost a couple of pounds. They cost a fortune here and didn't seem to work.
My brother in law didn't bring a transformer for his tools, we did so he uses ours as my hubby is out of the building trade now.
Make up and perfume is expensive.
Quilts are very cheap for good quality in the UK so I wished we had brought some more of them too.
Sorry don't know if you are a girl or boy :o just listing what we wished we'd brought more of.
Can't think of anything else right now, I wouldn't bring appliances, electrical stuff again cos it didn't cope too well with the shipping over here and most of it broke within the first year, I would buy all that here in hindsight but am glad we brought all our furniture :)
One exception would be a front loading washing machine cos they are quite expensive here still and the top loader we have has managed to rip most of my towels to bits and I find it isn't nearly as efficient at getting clothes clean.

Andrew Cross May 28th 2006 12:38 am

Originally Posted by sky
I wish I'd brought a couple of years supply of hayfever tablets ... the cheap Sainsbury brand that only cost a couple of pounds. They cost a fortune here and didn't seem to work.
My brother in law didn't bring a transformer for his tools, we did so he uses ours as my hubby is out of the building trade now.
Make up and perfume is expensive.
Quilts are very cheap for good quality in the UK so I wished we had brought some more of them too.
Sorry don't know if you are a girl or boy :o just listing what we wished we'd brought more of.
Can't think of anything else right now, I wouldn't bring appliances, electrical stuff again cos it didn't cope too well with the shipping over here and most of it broke within the first year, I would buy all that here in hindsight but am glad we brought all our furniture :)
One exception would be a front loading washing machine cos they are quite expensive here still and the top loader we have has managed to rip most of my towels to bits and I find it isn't nearly as efficient at getting clothes clean.

Yep I second all that sky said...
especially about the front loader washing machine. I had quite a new one in the UK and left it behind. I now have a big top loader which spits at the whites and then you get them out and they are slightly cleaner than when you put them in but smell a little better...duvets and quilt covers are expensive so if you can buy new, all the better.

Batty May 28th 2006 1:18 am

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
Yep I second all that sky said...
especially about the front loader washing machine. I had quite a new one in the UK and left it behind. I now have a big top loader which spits at the whites and then you get them out and they are slightly cleaner than when you put them in but smell a little better...duvets and quilt covers are expensive so if you can buy new, all the better.

But don't forget that bed sizes are different here so if you're not bringing your beds with you, buying covers and duvets might end up a waste of money. A Queen here is a King over there and a King here is a Superking there and a Superking is...... bloody huge :D

SarahB May 28th 2006 1:55 am

lol.... youre right about the quilts! We wanted a new quilt cover for my parents visit and in the end just measured it and went by sizes.

I have to say my top loader washing machine is pretty good. I dont miss my front loader at all. Only bad thing I can say about this top loader is that its pretty rough on clothes.... wouldnt want to put any delicates in it. But it cleans really well.

We bought a massive box of Bisto gravy granules with us from CashNCarry and we still have about 1/3 of it left. We were just discussing this morning what we are going to do when it runs out! :eek: :eek:

I stocked up on kids clothes for my DS. I went to the Next sales and bought him a complete wardrobe for the next size up.

I agree the chocolate doesnt taste the same here at all. Whittakers is pretty nice though. There are some great tasting crisps here too.

We certainly regret leaving certain items at home or giving them away as we thought we wouldnt have room in the container.... bring it all!!

happy in nz May 28th 2006 2:15 am

Originally Posted by SarahB
lol.... youre right about the quilts! We wanted a new quilt cover for my parents visit and in the end just measured it and went by sizes.

I have to say my top loader washing machine is pretty good. I dont miss my front loader at all. Only bad thing I can say about this top loader is that its pretty rough on clothes.... wouldnt want to put any delicates in it. But it cleans really well.

We bought a massive box of Bisto gravy granules with us from CashNCarry and we still have about 1/3 of it left. We were just discussing this morning what we are going to do when it runs out! :eek: :eek:

I stocked up on kids clothes for my DS. I went to the Next sales and bought him a complete wardrobe for the next size up.

I agree the chocolate doesnt taste the same here at all. Whittakers is pretty nice though. There are some great tasting crisps here too.

We certainly regret leaving certain items at home or giving them away as we thought we wouldnt have room in the container.... bring it all!!

go to bramptons englih food shop in pakuranger it sells bisto and marmite amongst other things

sky May 28th 2006 4:52 am

We brought over the hugest tub of Nescafe coffee and Bisto gravy granules :o we could buy from our local cash and carry. Though I can honestly say that after two and a half years here I nearly, almost don't miss any food :D .
The packet of mushy peas I bought from the British food shop on Riccarton Rd in Christchurch were pretty good though :p

neilw71 May 28th 2006 6:26 am

Reslove :) Not the state of mind - but the sachets of hangover cure :) We miss those SO much - alka salza (sp?) simply don't have the same effect !

Gonna pack the suitcase full of them when we go back to the UK in Aug :)

Neil

planty May 28th 2006 6:46 am

Originally Posted by neilw71
Reslove :) Not the state of mind - but the sachets of hangover cure :) We miss those SO much - alka salza (sp?) simply don't have the same effect !

Gonna pack the suitcase full of them when we go back to the UK in Aug :)

Neil

Try cutting down on the drinking that would resolve the problem :D

Gill and Rob May 28th 2006 8:22 am

Paint and wall paper.

The paint here isn't the same quality as back in the UK. They don't have the same types {not just brands} and there is no buying a 10 litre tin of ceiling emulsion for £5.99 {ok so we've been in NZ for 3 years}.
Paint is VERY expenisve and as for wall paper !!!! don't even ask.

Cheers
Gill

nickcharliepark May 28th 2006 9:30 am

Thanks everyone,

I had been contemplating throwing our duvet and some of our covers away as they are far from new, but I think I will buy some new here and ship them. This will also give me an excuse to shop because I have been not buying anything because we are moving!

Regarding the gravy issue (my sister moved to OZ 18 months ago and that was honestly the only thing she missed) is it okay regarding customs for foods stuffs?

Electrical goods - we will bring what we have and when they pack in we will buy more, after all we are planning on our life in New Zealand so we will have to get used to the things there eventually! It seems a shame to waste an opportunity while we are shipping stuff anyway though, not to put in the things that will make the culture shock a little less shocking!

As for make up, I will treat myself at the duty free on the way!! Good excuse if it is expensive in NZ!

Are you sure I won't need to stock up on handbags and shoes??!!!??

Thanks Nicola

sky May 28th 2006 10:10 am

Originally Posted by nickcharliepark
Thanks everyone,

I had been contemplating throwing our duvet and some of our covers away as they are far from new, but I think I will buy some new here and ship them. This will also give me an excuse to shop because I have been not buying anything because we are moving!

Regarding the gravy issue (my sister moved to OZ 18 months ago and that was honestly the only thing she missed) is it okay regarding customs for foods stuffs?

Electrical goods - we will bring what we have and when they pack in we will buy more, after all we are planning on our life in New Zealand so we will have to get used to the things there eventually! It seems a shame to waste an opportunity while we are shipping stuff anyway though, not to put in the things that will make the culture shock a little less shocking!

As for make up, I will treat myself at the duty free on the way!! Good excuse if it is expensive in NZ!

Are you sure I won't need to stock up on handbags and shoes??!!!??

Thanks Nicola

I brought over loads of handbags and shoes but found they were too dressy for here, I went to my first interview and felt overdressed :scared:
Im trying my hardest to think what you really, really could do with bringing but I can't think of anything else really ... maybe trainers if you are coming via L.A. cos they also seem a bit pricey over here.

Rich & Mitz May 28th 2006 11:15 am

This has been a very useful thread guys, although after reading a few messages, I am wondering if people can tell us what is actually cheaper over in NZ?....................if anything! :eek:

Thanks

Rich