British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Stock cubes declared in luggage. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/stock-cubes-declared-luggage-676468/)

lisamct Jul 13th 2010 11:39 am

Stock cubes declared in luggage.

Ok, this might sounds slightly crazy but has anyone taken stock cubes into NZ in their luggage?

I dont have any worries about not being able to find foods in NZ except for my beloved Oxo Pasta stock cubes. I even travel from where I live now and buy them in bulk because I cant get them in my town so I'd like to take a stash to NZ with me if I could.

I know I'd need to declare them but has anyone done this or something similar? I'm willing to go cold turkey if I have to but just wondering if it's a total hassle to have declared goods in your luggage or if its not too much of an inconvenience?

JohnThePom Jul 13th 2010 12:10 pm

Re: Stock cubes declared in luggage.

You should go Cold Turkey.

You have a serious addiction.

Get help.

WP ;)

Stormer999 Jul 13th 2010 12:16 pm

It is possible they may contain traces of mad Cow Disease....;)

MattandJax Jul 13th 2010 7:53 pm

pasta stock is probably not beef?? so i think you'd be ok. we took unopened marmite in luggage and they were ok with that. you could always contact immigration to check before hand.

lisamct Jul 13th 2010 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by WhingingPom (Post 8698330)
You should go Cold Turkey.

You have a serious addiction.

Get help.

WP ;)

:D:D Your right, I probably should (I wont though!:p)

Jan n Neil Jul 13th 2010 8:37 pm

you can get oxo cubes here iv,e got the veggie and the beef ones in the cupboard

Neil

lisamct Jul 13th 2010 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil (Post 8699447)
you can get oxo cubes here iv,e got the veggie and the beef ones in the cupboard

Neil

Yep but its the pasta ones I'm addicted to (in pasta mind not straight out the foil or anything!) I can hardly get them anywhere here where I live just now so I'm guessing they wont have made it to NZ either.

Margaret Parkinson Jul 13th 2010 9:56 pm

Just put them in one of your drawers like my daughter did with the 24 tins of Heinz Beans my son gave her as a leaving present because she was sure she would not be able to live without them. They do have most things that are typically english in Nz but at a price.

I have taken Bisto Gravy Granules in my luggage on our visits but said I would bother last time because they sell it in their Butchers Shop. My daughter said bring some because they have to get it from Auckland and have to sell it at $7.50 the size I can but for £1 in Tesco.

June

Sally Redux Jul 13th 2010 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson (Post 8699609)
Just put them in one of your drawers like my daughter did with the 24 tins of Heinz Beans my son gave her as a leaving present because she was sure she would not be able to live without them. .

June

Wasn't it uncomfortable when she sat down?

BEVS Jul 13th 2010 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by lisamct (Post 8699552)
Yep but its the pasta ones I'm addicted to (in pasta mind not straight out the foil or anything!)

That's what you tell us. :sneaky:

Wooly_Cow Jul 13th 2010 10:15 pm

MAFF shouldn't have any issue with them - BUT do delcare them when you come in. Chances are they'll just have a laugh at another Brit that can't let go ;)

As for some of the other 'tips' you might have received to 'hide' these or other food items in your luggage or shipped goods....

1) One of the reasons to come here is the unique and beautiful flora and forna...do you really want to risk it for the sake of a bit of 'home' food? If you can smuggle in beans or stock cubes, how is that different to someone bringing in loose herbs, or meat or honey or.......?

2) If you are caught you will risk a VERY heavy fine, and possibly a conviction which might invalidate your visa....all for the sake of stock cubes!!!

Declare them and the worst that can happen is they will be confiscated and you'll have to flavour your pasta with Watties!

Margaret Parkinson Jul 13th 2010 10:20 pm

Sorry I should have said when we get to customs I always say we have got Bisto & Tetley Tea Bags in the suitcase and no doubt I give them a good laugh but who cares. And as for the Baked Beans they did declare them and I bet customs thought they were crackers.

June

Expat Kiwi Jul 13th 2010 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by lisamct (Post 8698271)
Ok, this might sounds slightly crazy but has anyone taken stock cubes into NZ in their luggage?

I dont have any worries about not being able to find foods in NZ except for my beloved Oxo Pasta stock cubes. I even travel from where I live now and buy them in bulk because I cant get them in my town so I'd like to take a stash to NZ with me if I could.

I know I'd need to declare them but has anyone done this or something similar? I'm willing to go cold turkey if I have to but just wondering if it's a total hassle to have declared goods in your luggage or if its not too much of an inconvenience?

Declare them, they're commercially made and will probably be ok, if Bisto can get through then pasta seasoning will. If not the worst that can happen is that they'll take them off you and dispose of them.

Sometimes declaring something gets you through the queues a bit quicker too.

JohnThePom Jul 14th 2010 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow (Post 8699664)
2) If you are caught you will risk a VERY heavy fine, and possibly a conviction which might invalidate your visa....all for the sake of stock cubes!!!

It's amazing the length addicts will go to, and the level of denial.

I mean, imagine sticking 24 tins of beans in your drawers! how do they think they will get away with it? Apart from the discomfort sitting down, didn't they rattle? and what about the metal detector? :blink:

Margaret Parkinson Jul 14th 2010 9:53 am

Originally Posted by WhingingPom (Post 8700587)
It's amazing the length addicts will go to, and the level of denial.

I mean, imagine sticking 24 tins of beans in your drawers! how do they think they will get away with it? Apart from the discomfort sitting down, didn't they rattle? and what about the metal detector? :blink:

I thought this would make someone smile it does you good to have a laugh.:D