Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Still waiting.... but now rethinking....

Still waiting.... but now rethinking....

Old Apr 2nd 2007, 9:15 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Still waiting.... but now rethinking....

we were in NZ in feb - cant afford another trip! Saving money for the move.

i think its the lack of goal and this suspended state you're in whilst waiting for the next milestone.

just worried i am going to miss things here

oh i dont know. just. grrr. sorry.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

but if you stay there you'll miss all the new experiences you can have here
My parents had the opportunity to emigrate 35 years ago and didn't do it - my dad told me just before we left that he's regretted it ever since - now that's just sad
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by donnaf
My parents had the opportunity to emigrate 35 years ago and didn't do it - my dad told me just before we left that he's regretted it ever since - now that's just sad
Ditto.... my parents had the chance too and never took it. They told us to go for it and we did... they think its nice here and keep telling us how lucky we are and to stay here.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreamfish
we were in NZ in feb - cant afford another trip! Saving money for the move.

i think its the lack of goal and this suspended state you're in whilst waiting for the next milestone.

just worried i am going to miss things here

oh i dont know. just. grrr. sorry.

You will miss things about the UK. That is for sure, but it does not mean that you cannot try new things and if you at least try then you have given it your best shot. If you don't like NZ once you have tried it, then you just come back again. Not cheap I know, we are still out of pocket for the whole move back to the UK thing but I am glad I at least gave it a shot.

What were your HONEST opinions about the place when you were over in Feb? is there something putting you off? and what things do you think you will miss?

Ask yourself what you want out of life, ask yourself how you see the next 10 years being spent, ask yourself what is really important to you (for example, I found out that my folks were far more important to me than I EVER knew before) then write out the pros and cons of staying and then the pros and cons of moving. Once it is in black and white it might make it more easy to see what is worrying you most.

Good luck, just take your time and think everything through..... as I said before I am a firm believer in 'what is for you wont go by you'.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 10:56 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lexylou
if you dont go you will always wonder 'what if'
Fate favours the brave. Take a leap of faith!
very true ---- just expect the ermmm.....unexpected
Originally Posted by donnaf
seems to be a common thread (hoho) here as my parents did/do the same, albeit slightly lower regret levels probably as they are happy with a large extended family!
Perhaps all of us "didnt quite get there 20-40 years ago" types are trying to resolve the issues of our parents??? Who knows, but back on topic, this is all normal human behaviour and common to most people who take on such a large upheaval in life. As my former boss said about our decision to come to NZ: "going might not be the right move but not going would probably be the wrong one!"
Good luck in whatever you decide to do and remember that you dont always see the full picture until you have the time/energy/mental strength to take a step back from the daily worries, homesickness, frustrations, etc !!!111
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

PaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dreamfish
Still waiting for our officer's colleague to counter-sign our application.

But now I am thinking.... do I still want to go? I wonder if this is just because I am dreading the upheavel and everything associated with the move.

Or is it because I want to stay?

Or is it something else?

Hmmm... I hate days like this were you question motives and almost talk yourself out of it!!
Don't do like I did and wait till you are REALLY old before you move here. Now I ma having to try to cram in 20 years of outdoor stuff into the 5 years before I become totally decrepid.

Keep going and it will all be worth it!!!.... Trust me
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 2:55 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lexylou
Ask yourself what you want out of life, ask yourself how you see the next 10 years being spent, ask yourself what is really important to you (for example, I found out that my folks were far more important to me than I EVER knew before) then write out the pros and cons of staying and then the pros and cons of moving. Once it is in black and white it might make it more easy to see what is worrying you most.

Good luck, just take your time and think everything through..... as I said before I am a firm believer in 'what is for you wont go by you'.
Good advice. I think it is quite interesting though to watch those that decide not to emigrate to be close to family, grandparents, only to find that said family then wanders off around the globe.... leaving them behind!
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apple12
Good advice. I think it is quite interesting though to watch those that decide not to emigrate to be close to family, grandparents, only to find that said family then wanders off around the globe.... leaving them behind!
Yes exactly! My kids love travelling and I could just see us sitting in Uk and them travelling all over the world. So if we actually get to move to NZ this yr and son is left at uni here I'll try to remember that in 2005 he left us in uk while he was on his GAP yr in Dunedin LOL!

Paulgent I can't wait to meet you next week! You expressed how we feel too!