Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Still excited after 3 years!!!

Still excited after 3 years!!!

Old Mar 16th 2008, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Still excited after 3 years!!!

Time for a big up for NZ methinks.

Most of you know that after almost 3 years I like NZ, very much. Which is nice. I was unaware of all the issues the country had/has until I came to live here, it is no 'paradise found' as a whole but we are all like pigs in muck in our tiny slice ot the 'Island of the long white cloud'.

NZ has delivered everything we expected and more. Driving down Victoria Ave Palmy the other day I felt the same buzz as I did 3 years ago when I got here..maybe at nigh on 50 I am easily pleased!!

We have had 2 kids hospitalized, been thru pre kindy, kindy and junior school we have used the GPs, done the shopping had all the amenities open to us the last 3 years and we are very happy with it all..very impressed. There are issues as we all know..anywhere you live, NZ is not an answer to anyone's problems anywhere in the world, but it gave us what we were expecting...everything and a bit more.

Life is fairly ordinairy for us but within an extra ordinairy environment. If you come with the right attitude, do your sums, work out what you want and give it a go you could find your dream, we did.

NZ is not for all people. Some ship out to Oz, others Canada, some back to their respective homeland, whatever I have rarely heard anyone bemoan they'd wish they'd never started the migration process.......maybe apart from some who feel 'trapped' and want their old lives back.

Be lucky and remember the biggest risk in life is taking no risks!!!

Last edited by Genesis; Mar 17th 2008 at 12:11 am. Reason: crap slepping
Old Mar 16th 2008, 11:09 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Still excited after 3 years!!!

awesome
Old Mar 16th 2008, 11:34 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Old Mar 17th 2008, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

NZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of light

Good on you!!! It is great to hear things like this!!
Old Mar 17th 2008, 5:39 am

Tan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond repute

Genesis you are holding me together this end!

.....especially given that you too jumped ship from Nortampton

(I mean really...can someone really spend this much of their waking, and sleeping, time thinking about the process of getting there?....it's doing my nut!!!!)

Tan
Old Mar 17th 2008, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tan0410 View Post
Genesis you are holding me together this end!

.....especially given that you too jumped ship from Nortampton

(I mean really...can someone really spend this much of their waking, and sleeping, time thinking about the process of getting there?....it's doing my nut!!!!)

Tan
I thought about it for 15 years off and on, I never 'belonged' in the UK, I am half french the other half irish..a right mongrel!!!!!

NZ feels more like my home in just 3 years than the UK ever did. I guess because I am a bit of an odd ball, a maverick and non conformist I fit into the NZ psyche way better. NZ is out on its own in many ways, it does not conform much and thus I guess I fit in well!!

Sure you will find it is an all enveloping process, you are about to go live on the other side of the world..no small feat!!

It took us 6 months from the day we decided NZ will be our new home to arriving in Wellington. You can PM me if you wish and I will give you our phone number if you would like a chat. We escaped Colwyn Road..NN1 3PZ, the 'shire's 2nd worst post code I was reliably infromed
Old Mar 17th 2008, 6:32 am
Banned

pascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nice

Funny you should bring up the mongral thing. Despite my picture here I'm a 6ft tall blonde with blue eyes and I do feel quite out of place here. I see very few northern european looking people here except a few kids perhaps being collected after school in the more affluent suburbs, and I expect they leave never to return as soon as they can, but the majority of people here do tend to be....well, brown.

I also read a book by Jim Rogers called 'The Adventure Capitalist' that said in a couple of generations time NZ will be a 'brown' country.

Perhaps, one of the reasons I don't feel comfortable here is because I'm of Nordic descent.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by pascalr View Post
Funny you should bring up the mongral thing. Despite my picture here I'm a 6ft tall blonde with blue eyes and I do feel quite out of place here. I see very few northern european looking people here except a few kids perhaps being collected after school in the more affluent suburbs, and I expect they leave never to return as soon as they can, but the majority of people here do tend to be....well, brown.

I also read a book by Jim Rogers called 'The Adventure Capitalist' that said in a couple of generations time NZ will be a 'brown' country.

Perhaps, one of the reasons I don't feel comfortable here is because I'm of Nordic descent.

Call me thick, don't get the cut of your jib (I do understand it is unlikely to be positive..no worries about that..NZ is full of good and bad stuff), but what are you saying in layman's terms?
Old Mar 17th 2008, 10:45 am
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold

Life is fairly ordinairy for us but within an extra ordinairy environment. If you come with the right attitude, do your sums, work out what you want and give it a go you could find your dream, we did.

Be lucky and remember the biggest risk in life is taking no risks!!![/QUOTE]

Cool, i like it.

Marika
Old Mar 17th 2008, 11:54 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Genesis, happy anniversary and many happy returns!
Your last comment is along the lines of the advice I got before we left UK:

emigrating to NZ might not seem the *right* decision but not going when you have the opportunity is very likely to be the *wrong* one!

I think that was the gist of it. Certainly makes sense as I noted some regret in my dad's voice when they were over here and he was talking about staying in the UK and not moving to Wellington in the 80s........but then I would never have met the lovely MrsL
Old Mar 17th 2008, 10:21 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Life is fairly ordinary for us but within an extra ordinary environment.
That's worthy of being your signature Genesis. It's so true for many of us living here.

Thanks for the update and well balanced post.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 12:24 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Fantastic to hear that you are loving it so much.

Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
NZ feels more like my home in just 3 years than the UK ever did. I guess because I am a bit of an odd ball, a maverick and non conformist I fit into the NZ psyche way better. NZ is out on its own in many ways, it does not conform much and thus I guess I fit in well!!
I wonder how many migrants (to anywhere) actually recognise something of themselves in this description? I certainly do.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 12:58 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pascalr View Post

This sentence reminded me of a conversation we had in our Te Reo Maori class last night. There was a guy there talking about the pronunciation of a name, and he thought it might have originated from Brazil.

I commented that 'Katrine' (using that spelling) is also a popular name in Scandinavia, notably Denmark.

He said something to the effect of (and was deadly serious) 'Yeh Brazil, Scandinavia way.....'

not last time i looked....
Old Mar 18th 2008, 1:21 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

and that he thought the Vikings discovered NZ?
Old Mar 18th 2008, 1:37 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nerine View Post
and that he thought the Vikings discovered NZ?
quite possibly - but he looked a bit perturbed when I looked like I was about to correct him. Thought better of it!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.