Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Stay or Leave New Zealand?

Stay or Leave New Zealand?

Old Jan 23rd 2013, 12:29 am
Just Joined

sibrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Stay or Leave New Zealand?

I came to ChCh from Tokyo in September 2011 (moved there in April 1996), interviewed for 4 weeks, landed a job in October 2011, started said job in January 2012, OH came over in March 2012, and now I am wondering whether NZ is the place for us.

Pros:
Clean, beautiful, peaceful country.
Nice, honest, friendly folk.
Interesting job that pays above median for NZ.
English speaking and drive on the left.
Near perfect motorbike touring conditions.

Cons:
High cost of living.
Capped and slow Internet access.
Limited financial options for temporary work visa.
Very little chance of ever owning a place.
No career opportunities for my Japanese OH.
Poor earthquake resistance buildings.

This year I need to make the decision whether to stay and apply for PR or leave, and it's one I've been struggling with for many different but interrelated reasons.

Just wondering if any BE'ers had dealt with, or a dealing with, a similar situation.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

cleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to all
Default Re: Stay or Leave New Zealand?

Sibrit, I do believe I know how you feel.
I have put up wth a lot since arriving in NZ (http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=784110 ) and I now find myself in a very similar position.

I am considering leaving but as I have approx 16 months before I can apply for citizenship I find myself wondering if it is worthwhile staying so I can get my NZ citizenship (and ultimatley an NZ passport which will make life entering Australia a little more straight forward).

It is a tough decision......
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sibrit
I came to ChCh from Tokyo in September 2011 (moved there in April 1996), interviewed for 4 weeks, landed a job in October 2011, started said job in January 2012, OH came over in March 2012, and now I am wondering whether NZ is the place for us.

Pros:
Clean, beautiful, peaceful country.
Nice, honest, friendly folk.
Interesting job that pays above median for NZ.
English speaking and drive on the left.
Near perfect motorbike touring conditions.

Cons:
High cost of living.
Capped and slow Internet access.
Limited financial options for temporary work visa.
Very little chance of ever owning a place.
No career opportunities for my Japanese OH.
Poor earthquake resistance buildings.

This year I need to make the decision whether to stay and apply for PR or leave, and it's one I've been struggling with for many different but interrelated reasons.

Just wondering if any BE'ers had dealt with, or a dealing with, a similar situation.
It is a tricky one. I can't really add too much to your excellent lists.
By the way, I pay 99 bucks for non-capped Internet and Phone. Yes that is expensive but I find you can cut other things out to cover the cost. I don't have Sky TV anymore - which would I rather have: living in NZ and doing without sky to cover the high internet charges, or move back to blighty? as much as you can cut your cloth according to how much dosh you have and stay in the beaut of a country....
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 2:41 am
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cleverchap
I have put up wth a lot since arriving in NZ (http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=784110 ) and I now find myself in a very similar position.

I am considering leaving but as I have approx 16 months before I can apply for citizenship I find myself wondering if it is worthwhile staying so I can get my NZ citizenship (and ultimatley an NZ passport which will make life entering Australia a little more straight forward).

Stay, good lord stay. Get your citizenship.

I'm currently "serving" my 2 years before I can get the travel restrictions lifted off my PR!!! If I had the carrot of citizenship I would defo stay. You have come SO SO far!!!!
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 2:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cleverchap

I had considered that option since I am already in NZ and working, but the thought of becoming a NZ citizen just to make it easier to move to AU makes me feel uncomfortable. It's a bit underhanded.

On the otherhand, I've already paid a heap in immigration fees in NZ, got all the reports and medicals done, paid for an immigration advisor. Do I really want to do it all over again for AU?

Just one of the many things I'm balancing in my mind.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 3:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by GoingIn2011
It is a tricky one. I can't really add too much to your excellent lists.
By the way, I pay 99 bucks for non-capped Internet and Phone. Yes that is expensive but I find you can cut other things out to cover the cost. I don't have Sky TV anymore - which would I rather have: living in NZ and doing without sky to cover the high internet charges, or move back to blighty? as much as you can cut your cloth according to how much dosh you have and stay in the beaut of a country....
I had Sky for a year. Dropped it cos it was naff and didn't want to pay through the nose for the HD content. I'll stick with FreeView thank you.

Granted, I was spoilt for Internet in Japan - 1Gb uncapped fiber optic with fixed IP for $45 a month - but I wasn't prepared for the difference between there and here. Got used to it, but would like it to be better.

Currently have Internet - capped at 120GB - house phone and 2 smart phones on Telecom. Pay around $220 a month.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 3:12 am
BE Enthusiast

I had Sky for a year. Dropped it cos it was naff and didn't want to pay through the nose for the HD content. I'll stick with FreeView thank you.

Granted, I was spoilt for Internet in Japan - 1Gb uncapped fiber optic with fixed IP for $45 a month - but I wasn't prepared for the difference between there and here. Got used to it, but would like it to be better.

Currently have Internet - capped at 120GB - house phone and 2 smart phones on Telecom. Pay around $220 a month.
Ah well, we make do without smartphones. There are savings to be made that make life over here affordable. Not preaching - just saying, like.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 6:30 am
Just Joined

Nick Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

You've listed most of the factors for and against. I would guess the most important things are job prospects for OH and prospects of having your own place. If these could be solved by leaving, it might be the right thing to do but only you (both) are in a position to make that call.

I'm here because NZ actually offers a career development opportunity and that combined with your positives lists outweighs other factors.

Good luck whatever you decide
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

What does your Japanese OH do for her career?
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 5:18 pm
NZ wannabe

Synky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to all

If OH desperately wants to work or you need the money then you might have to leave. If neither of these then perhaps volunteer work for OH would help? There are some positives to not owning a place too.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

AndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond repute

Go, definitely go.
No, hang on, stay.
Damn, I can't decide myself what to do so I definitely can't help you.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be off like a shot. If you're never going to be able to put down roots by buying a house and the missus is struggling to get a decent job meaning less money in an expensive country I'd be packing the cases already.

No amount of lovely beaches and friendly locals can make up for bad stuff.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

The OH told me last night she hates NZ. Took me a while to find out why, as she's not much of a sharer, but the 2 main points were:

1) Her job. She works at a fast food counter in a mall for minimum wage even though her expertise is IT customer support, website maintenance and payroll application testing. She is currently not earning enough to make her debt payments back in Tokyo in full, and I can't help her at the moment as I have my own financial obligations from the move to NZ.

2) Friends. She has a few acquaintances she has made through her Hawaiian Hula class and the English classes at the local church, and some call her every-so-often, but nothing like the friends she has back home. Most likely because her English isn't fluent and she has a shy demeanour anyway.

I get the thing about friends and family, I've experienced that kind of homesickness before, but plop me in front of a computer or TV and the outside world disappears. Plus my parents came to visit for 5 weeks over the summer holiday, so I got my fix of family for a while. And I have lots of acquaintances through my local pub, motorbike riding and work. I just don't get text messages or calls from people to go out, not that I mind. If I want to be social, I know where to go.

It's such a shame that these 2 things are a black cloud over her experience of NZ, as this country has so much going for it.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 8:56 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

...her expertise is IT customer support, website maintenance and payroll application testing.

her English isn't fluent and she has a shy demeanour anyway....
TBH she won't be able to leverage her skills in NZ unless the english issue is resolved (excepting a very niche position with a NZ-based Co supporting a user-base in Japan).
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 9:08 pm
NZ wannabe

Synky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to all

If your OH isn't happy you won't be, no matter where you are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.